Author Topic: January Micro Train releases have been...released...?  (Read 7800 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
Re: January Micro Train releases have been...released...?
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »
By who? The modeler?!  The last time I checked, these are supposed to be RTR cars.  :facepalm:  I did mention that if I was going to custom decorate a car like that I would have used a 36 footer with added on photoetched ladder. But come on, MT shouldn't expect an average collector to spend over 20 dollars for a decorated car and then try to add a black ladder.  Imagine the glue marks!  :trollface:

Does the lettering look stretched to you?  I don't see that. Actually, the R on the real car looks wider.

Yeah, that one I don't understand either.  But I'll be buying this car regardless...  Gotta keep MT in business!  :trollface:

Yes, the lettering is too big in all directions, though still proportional.  Would someone looking for a sharp paint scheme and nothing else pass because it didn't have a black ladder but had individual grabs?  I would argue no.

From the prototype modeler side, I can't turn the 40' car into the prototype because the lettering is oversize.  If the scheme was applied to the 36' car, then I could easily use the sides and turn it into a prototype model without having to find decals for a rare scheme. 

Here's an example of the method on an NWX reefer:

I do think you're right that someone at MTL latched onto the ladder and didn't realize the prototype was a 36' car.  Probably the artist working on the lettering realized something was off but must not have caught it either. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:47:32 PM by Sokramiketes »

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2013, 06:23:19 PM »
Ok, since I let my steam out on a previous, now gone, post. I'm going to let some more here.

Why the hell can't some people let ***** go? We get it mike, you don't like MT. Now quit nit picking.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
Guys,
I didn't intend to start an argument about the Decker reefer model, I was just looking for information to decide whether I wanted one, because I wanted a "meat reefer" length car. Unlike other industries like citrus and produce, the meat industry used 36' nominal length cars into the late 60's. It's still a beautiful car, all 41' feet of it, and may MT sell gazillions of them ;)

Billboard reefers were outlawed in 1937 anyway, and that tends to get lost in the prototype fidelity discussion as we run modern steam or diesels (!) pulling colorful reefer trains :facepalm:

It's all good, I think.
Regards, Otto K.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »
Mike:  Skibbe is in the right here.  His post is informative and respectful. :tommann:

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
There are plenty of N scale models with prototypical schemes in existence, and it's possible to build a fully prototypical fleet -- if you know what is out there and what roads are valid for what's available, and don't restrict yourself to one or two manufacturers.

I largely agree with this, but in my case it would be absolutely ridiculous for me to limit my coal hopper fleet to Atlas 55T fishbellys (good for 1936 to 1955 or so by which time this class was entirely rebuilt into class H9 hoppers) and 100 ton 3 bays
(good from 1963 to 1990s). It is much easier for me now to model the non home road cars though (which I have been slowly focusing on this decade as more and more correct cars are released in N scale).

The merger inherited correct models are very useful (Bluford NKP offset triples and Atlas NKP 50 tonners) but these make a very small percentage of the post-1964 merger fleet.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:26:36 PM by Mark5 »

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2013, 08:11:13 PM »
 :facepalm:  Oye...
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!