Author Topic: Things to do with a Bachmann Northern?  (Read 5736 times)

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
Re: Things to do with a Bachmann Northern?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 01:26:49 AM »
This idea gets better and better...

There are a bunch of things that aren't the same between the two but...

Tada! The elusive Pennsy R2 (sort of)

My Northern has a decoder, but at present it's taped to the top of the frame.

Hey, I just remembered I already bought a Berkshire tender on E-Bay maybe a year ago. It's like I had an R2 kit laying around in the garage...

Doesn't the PRR tender have eight wheel trucks? Why not use those trucks? I'm assuming the tender needs to be lengthened (and the doghouse added).

Frank

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 06:55:39 AM »
Nice idea on the J1.  I've been wanting a J1 forever and I dont think it would be that hard to add a fifth axle driven by a cutoff extra northern rod and moving the trailing truck back.  I would use two trix tenders and slpice them to fit the northern tender chassis and add all the electriclaapuickup goodies.  The cab might be a good candidate for Shapeways...  Some GHQ details and HMMM....

The Berk tender or the C&O tender just don't have the chamfered look of the prr tenders' coal bunker.  That's a major spotter for me.

The Boxpok wheels have to go too unless there is evidence of a PRR J1 tester... ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:58:19 AM by Lemosteam »

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »
It looks good with a C&O tender behind it also....

You know,now that I see it with better tender,I just may update mine.It runs really well,worth the work.When I did it years ago,all I had was a NYC Hudson tender casting,the original tender was poop.I just happen to have an MRC Berk tender,I may "PRRize" it as John suggests,and slap it on,better pickups and all...I may do the whole thing over.

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »
I found some plans in the May 1958 issue of RMC. It goes along with an article on building one in brass using parts from Bowser, Kemtron and a host of other suppliers. There are some inaccuracies in the drawing but all in all I using it to modify my Northern to resemble a J1...

The cab template is from the same article. I plan to build it from styrene using this pattern.

The image has already been reduced by 54% and prints out in N scale (as long as you don't use "fit to page".

It has occurred to me that the Bachmann tender is close to the proper length for the 16 wheel tender used on these locomotives. I'm looking at some way to stretch the Berkshire tender to suit the Bachmann frame...

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 02:27:14 AM »
That didn`t take you long at all!
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force