Author Topic: Tools to Remove and Install Loco Wheels  (Read 1588 times)

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
Tools to Remove and Install Loco Wheels
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »
Recent posts from several of our forumers include modifications to loco wheels (pilot, driver and trailing) but somehow I missed the tools and methods used to remove and replace the wheels.  The last time I tried to do this (a long time ago), the result was a couple of bent axles and several mangled wheels.  So do the more skilled among you use miniature pullers and miniature presses?  And where can these tools be purchased?  Any info would be appreciated.

Jim
Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3126
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Tools to Remove and Install Loco Wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »
nscaleSPF2,

I use a bench top drill press with a small v groove cut into a utility knife blade to support the wheel so the shaft can be pressed thru the table (put a small glad container under the table so the shaft will not get lost..  I use a drill bit just smaller than the shaft I am removing, with the shank end out of the drill chuck.  This makes a nice press.the shaft can be pressed back in by chucking it into the drill press and using the table top support the wheel.  Quartering is another issue altogether that I process by eye.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »
Lemo's technique works great.  I use a modified version of what he does.  I just have various thin sheets of stainless steel I got at a local metal fabricating shop.  I went in there and asked them to cut me some small 1" x 2" pieces of stainless in a few thicknesses.  Then I painstakingly cut and filed notches in them so they could be slipped in behind the wheels.   The razor blade sounds like a great idea.

I have placed the plate over the open jaws of a vise and just tapped the axle out with a piece of drill bit or a paneling
nail.  It's less precise and less gentle, but it does work.

I also use the NWSL "The Puller".  It's a great tool, but get the add-on precision push-bolt set they sell for it, so you'll have the smaller-diameter push-rods you will need.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »
I had some small Nn3 (Z gauge) wheels that were insulated on both sides. They had wobbles, I was told they were not machine made so it is hard to get them all perfect. One Nn3 modeler said he would fix them for me with a jig me made on his lathe. So instead of sending them out I figured I could try to make the jig myself.

Just a mock up photo showing a plastic wheel set, but you get the idea.  There are 2 brass "cups" that were turned to fit the wheels snug. Then I just press the axle in place with everything in a straight line.  Out of 4 wheels, I was able to get 3 of them perfect this way.

Not sure if this really helps you, but might give you some ideas. Same idea might work in a drill or arbor press, but you would need to make sure the bottom cup is centered with the top. (The lathe does that on it's own)  :tommann:

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:27:24 PM »
Thanks for the lathe idea, Chris.  Didn't think of using it for this, and now I have a reason to buy some micro boring bars that I've been thinking about, to make those wheel cups.
Bob

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:59:54 AM »
I bored them out with drill bits  ;)

But I was working with a small dia. and drills that size go up in small increments. If you need a larger hole it might be hard to find a perfect sized bit. I dunno.

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
Thank you all for your input.  I do appreciate it.  Looks like there are 2 options; either a bench top (precision) drill press, or a set of pullers and a press.  Probably about the same cost.  Hmm, let me take a peek at the checkbook...

Jim
Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.