Author Topic: Atlas PS-1 boxcars in hand! (INNER HEIGHT CLARIFICATION)  (Read 13691 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: Atlas PS-1 boxcars in hand! (INNER HEIGHT CLARIFICATION)
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2013, 09:33:25 AM »
Happy New Year, Dee...
I hope you get all the termites and bananas you wish in 2013 !

Nggg... too many banana
daiquiries last night... I
don't feel too good...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

skm

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2013, 12:52:07 AM »
I left the rivets on the end panel mostly because this is Rutland and who cares?  I did find a photo of one in Chicago on a Pennsy transfer in 1962, so I matched the poorly paint matched reweigh data and weathered per the photo.  The paint scheme seemed to be in pretty good condition, just dirty. 

Wow! Did these pics just change to straight profile shots or what?
Anyway. love what you did there, really well done!
Cheers,
Scott

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »

Wow! Did these pics just change to straight profile shots or what?
Anyway. love what you did there, really well done!

Lol, ninja edit.  When I took the first photo I had a burned out compact flourescent in one of three lights.  I put in a standard bulb and it caused some weirdness in the colors, mainly a red shadow below the track...  I put in a matching bulb and reshot last night. 

skm

• Crew
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »
Lol, ninja edit.  When I took the first photo I had a burned out compact flourescent in one of three lights.  I put in a standard bulb and it caused some weirdness in the colors, mainly a red shadow below the track...  I put in a matching bulb and reshot last night.

LOL, I thought I was losing it!  :P

I looked up the series in my Color Guide to New England Railroads and the 3 pics of the Rutland cars in this livery all have the end tack boards in the lower position..... I bought a few undecs (just to get the 7' doors, <cough> SPF <cough>) and, while no easy task, could be doable if you were so inclined.
Atlas did more than just put a few holes in the ends, there is a raised dimple that would have to be sanded down and then the holes filled. Kinda messy.  :|
Don't know if I would attempt it on a painted model though, they are so pretty already.
Cheers,
Scott

skm

• Crew
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:32 PM »
Sorry for the necro, but wanted to share some info that I found while browsing through a couple of books.

The B&M received 3 orders of PS1 40' boxcars.

1947 (#74000-74999) 7' Superior Door
1951 (#75000-75749) 7' Youngstown Door
1957 (#76000-76538) 8' Superior Door

The new Atlas model has the correct door (7' Youngstown) for the number series they used (#75000-75749), but it appears from pics on the web that the build date is stencilled 1947 rather than 1951.

Could someone verify that? Not that great of a problem, but just wanted to know.....

Sorry for yet ANOTHER necro, but thought this was interesting.
According to the LVR Modeller website and the table at http://www.anthraciterailroads.org/lvrrmodeler/boxcars.htm

The LV received 2 orders of PS1 40' boxcars.
They did lease more beginning in 1969 through the early 70's and rebuilt some too.
But the ones we are interested in are;

1947 (#62000-62499) 7' Superior Door
1950 (#62500-62999) 7' Superior Door

The new Atlas model has the correct door, but for the number series they used (#62500-62999), the build date is stencilled 1947 rather than 1950.
Seems strange they would miss both the B&M and LV number series by just a smidge.... Perhaps they just set up 1947 as a build date and it carried through much of the artwork as it was being prepared?
Cheers,
Scott