Author Topic: SP MT-4  (Read 5697 times)

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
SP MT-4
« on: January 01, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »
Here is the 1st casting of N scale Southern Pacific MT-4 that Phillip Johnson and I are working on.  Our plan is to adapt the boiler to a Kato GS-4.  We plane on Changing out the drivers to spoked drivers and change out the rear trailing truck.  Yes the drivers will still be oversized but it will be a very good running mech with with a MT-4 boiler and correct tender.

The boiler casting was done at the same time as the 4-12-2 tender.  I will catch up on the UP project very soon.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:15:51 PM by superturbine »

Kisatchie

• Crew
Re: SP MT-4
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
I wish I had talent to do something like that.

Hmm... Kiz wishes he
had ANY talent...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

sd75i

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 07:51:37 PM »
   I'm not a big steam guy, but that is awesome.  Can't wait to see it finished!  Great work!

dave t

RWCJr

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »
Great work Jason, even makes this dyed-in-the-wool ATSF fan, very impressed.  8)

superturbine

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:09:49 PM »
Really appreciate the complements guys!

Kisatchie- I am not really that talented, it's just the matter of having the right tools.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
Really appreciate the complements guys!

Kisatchie- I am not really that talented, it's just the matter of having the right tools.

Are you saying that with the right tools, even an ape could cast beautiful shells like you do?  :trollface:

BTW, excellent work Jason (as usual)!
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:47:38 PM »
Are you saying that with the right tools, even an ape could cast beautiful shells like you do?  :trollface:

Hmm... I figure I can
cast a shell 20 feet...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Bremner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
Here is the 1st casting of N scale Southern Pacific MT-4 that Phillip Johnson and I are working on.  Our plan is to adapt the boiler to a Kato GS-4.  We plane on Changing out the drivers to spoked drivers and change out the rear trailing truck.  Yes the drivers will still be oversized but it will be a very good running mech with with a MT-4 boiler and correct tender.

The boiler casting was done at the same time as the 4-12-2 tender.  I will catch up on the UP project very soon.
wow, just wow...one question though, the Bachmann 4-8-2 is closer (still not right) in size, why not use it?

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
Jason, looks promising. Did you pull a casting off a brass MT? I presume you'll use the Bachman C-160 tender and add pickups? So.... could a F class 2-10-2 "Deck" be in the future???  ;)
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

superturbine

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 11:15:53 PM »
Thanks guys...

The Bachman 2-10-2 is way undersized.  I perfer to have a driver that is 6 inches oversized instead of one that is 10 inches undersized.   I do not consider the bachman northern an option.... due to performance.

Mutiple different tenders are being kitbashed and they are to be cast.

As for an F class I would like to make available every possible boiler.... so yes F class would be on my list.

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »
Mike,

I'm working on the tenders for Jason.  I'm getting three ready for casting, the first being the 160-C-2 bachmann you mentioned.  I'm cleaning up the back end of the tank though and getting rid of the clunky handrails.  We're still debating on whether to use the existing floor or build a new one so we can incorporate the power pick up trucks from the Spectrum long vandy.  On my SP&S E-1 I found it easier to just build a whole new chassis for the shell to sit on.

The second tender I'm building is requiring a lot more kitbashing and scratchwork, but its the 120-C-3 which is the same tender used behind many of the MT 4-8-2's and the P-8 4-6-2s.  I'm using a Spectrum long vandy frame with 1/2" cut out of the middle of it.  The shell started out as the old Rivarossi vandy with the coal bunker completely removed and a new oil bunker built from scratch using drawings from the Robert Church book on the 4300 class.

The third tender in the works is the 120-C-8, another tender that was commonly put behind the MT's and also the P-10 4-6-2s.  I'm doing this one because its a baldwin built tender that is identical to the one spectrum puts behind the C&O H4 2-6-6-2, but with a oil bunker instead of a coal bin.  I just have to build the oil bunker and modify the chassis to accept the 6-wheel trucks.

Having these three tenders available will make it easy to model just about any SP mainline steamer.  The 120-C-2 found behind the 2-10-2's dimensionally is the same as the 120-C-3, but has 4 wheel trucks instead of the 6 wheel ones we're putting on the tenders Jason and I are making.

Phillip

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:08:44 AM »
Fantastic!!! Put me down for a couple of them.

Can't have to many mountains.

Wolf

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 11:12:46 PM »
Phillip,

It sounds like you've "got a plan"! Like you stated, the 120C-2 was found behind the Decks. That said, the 120C-8 (six wheel) and the 160C tender was also there as well. As I look forward to the MT project, I have a few of the old Key MTs all with the 160C tenders. They are outstanding runners. However, the tenders only pick up on the left side. Jason mentioned the SP 2-10-2s and boilers. The F-1 had a noticeably "stepped" boiler where as the F-3, 4 & 5 class had an almost straight boiler. There were some that were equipped with either a long or short cab. If you would like any imput, drawings, photos, etc. I'd be glad to assist.  :D
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 11:44:29 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind.  I'm in pretty good shape on the MT project with the Robert Church book.  Has some excellent line drawings in it.  Once this is all done I'd love to tackle a 2-10-2 using Jason's cast frame sections.  For your Key MTs, the modifications to make the bachmann 160-C-2 ride on the good spectrum 6-wheel trucks is pretty easy.  Replace all the railing with brass wire and strip it and repaint with good paint, I bet it would look nice behind your Key MTs and have excellent pickup.  You could also wait a little bit until we get these tenders done and use one of them.  I'm making all three tenders work on stock spectrum 6-wheel trucks.

Phillip

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »
Wouldn't the bachmann light 2-10-2 mech be right for an F-1 class like the ones that were all over TX and LA?

I would think the CC 2-10-2 would be a good starting point for a big F-5 that were used west of El Paso