Author Topic: Mocking up my next BANTRAK OneTRAK module  (Read 2830 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Mocking up my next BANTRAK OneTRAK module
« on: December 29, 2012, 11:45:05 PM »
Since most of the interested parties are around, I figured I'd post this here for them and anyone else who'd want to take a look.

Our latest show at the B&O museum demonstrated a few things about the layout's current capabilities and needs, one of which being that we need another double track module with crossovers. We also need more industry spots for when we want to do some operations.

With those two needs identified, I decided to dig out a module that had been started and try and finish it.

Here's what I've been mocking up. I'd be interested to hear anyones comments on, really, any aspect of it.

I'm aiming to keep it rather "generic" and serve the need rather than try to hit any single prototype.

On the right I've got a longer siding with two different industries, one, something in the modern looking building (made of two Micro Engineering kits bashed together), and the other made from the Atlas Middlesex kit. I found a number of these types of arrangements on my ZTS maps, so I'm happy with not having two different sidings. Across the tracks is another industry, with a single spot at it. This is a DPM kit.

The buildings are all arranged so that there would be a street running in front of the unpainted DPM building. Right off that street is the former station building. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it as an abandoned building, a building converted to an MOW facility, or a commuter station (I'm aiming for the 1970s-1990s era).

Right now that station building is one of the Life-like Baldwin stations (http://www.collector-modeltrains.com/dash/universe/catalog_item/MT-0483942/), some more info can be found here (including a picture from Lee): http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=50169

It's a B&O structure, and I'm looking for a more PRR or Reading option, if one exists.

The low area in the foreground of that last one was intended to be a road in the original version of the module, but now I'm leaning more toward stream.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
Re: Mocking up my next BANTRAK OneTRAK module
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »
incorporate 2 45's or a 90 it into and then you can fill the "we need more corners" issue as well....

unless your goal is to nest them together...

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
Tim and I were talking about the corners too. We have a plan for handling that separately.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 06:28:33 AM »
We needed more space too. There were a few configurations that would have worked. They all involved some demo on Santa's work shop. That pesky egress aisle thing.

Martin

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 07:06:24 AM »
I would make a bracket out of 1/2" conduit that will hold your Christmas tree light nest above the module.

:trollface:

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 07:30:33 AM »
I would make a bracket out of 1/2" conduit that will hold your Christmas tree light nest above the module.

:trollface:

Chris FTW!

Ed, my initial thought was you'd come to your senses and were redoing the NCR but I can it on the wall behind. So, on the new module looks good. While the track wor appears fairly realistic, how will he switches hold up to hours of show running
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

choochin3

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »
Your minimalistic approach to benchwork has got to cease!
Use some damn 6X6 lumber for petes sake! :trollface:
Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »
The low area in the foreground of that last one was intended to be a road in the original version of the module, but now I'm leaning more toward stream.

Actually, I think both might work well. Infrastructure, as in streets and roads, are good justifiers of industrial areas. Make the stream more like a small creek running alongside the road, then run a side street up the slope to the buildings. And if possible, have the road and creek run on a slight angle instead of 90 degrees to the mainline.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:06:06 AM by David K. Smith »

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Tim and I were talking about the corners too. We have a plan for handling that separately.

excellent

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 08:58:05 AM »
We needed more space too. There were a few configurations that would have worked. They all involved some demo on Santa's work shop. That pesky egress aisle thing.

Martin

yeah... i LOVED it when we had 3 full bays...  that was fun... but running around chasing lindsey's on a big layout made for some hectic times.

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »
Looks great, Ed. The only thing I thing I would recommend is relocating the switch immediately in front of the station (or the station); it seems awkward.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »

Some of the plan is similar to the original B&O trackage at Martinsburg, WV. The tracks crossed over Queen St and the creek that went to the east around the roundhouses. The freight house had a reverse spur to a coal distributor right next to it. Today, the spur is not there and I am not sure if the unloading trestle has been razed. Would be interesting to add some of the B&O landmarks if possible.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 03:04:58 PM »
Interesting Bob. That might fit in thematically, but all my CR, Reading and PC stuff might feel a bit list.

I like the idea of the road and creek though.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »
 Hmmmmmm, I thought that in a very round about way, the B&O owned 50% of CR so it would be OK  .  .  .   :trollface:
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
I've been quietly making progress on this, with the goal of rolling it out for a shakedown this weekend.

Here's the topdown:

And from the other end:

The grade crossing area:

I'm pretty happy with the flexibility it's going to give me. The MOW track will be a good spot for some gons, and the two serial industries should be fun to spot cars at.