Author Topic: Need help planning a Station in a 18"X15' space  (Read 8674 times)

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Need help planning a Station in a 18"X15' space
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
Another thought.

Sacrificed some platform length, but still have one 120" track per platform.  The holdover track would be used by the engine(s) from whichever of the two sections has to drop its power.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:52:52 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2013, 03:31:03 AM »
Really liking it eric
I`m now liking the idea of the helix acting as a reversing loop too
Looking at the engine holdover area maybe that can be expanded more into a service area? I want to run steamers Diesels and GG1s in passenger ops but I`m thinking I`m just taking the "Its my railroad I`ll run what I want"
also I really only "need" one track at 110" for the broadway the other tracks could actually be shorter and wouldn`t be bad having per say 3 platforms to have more trains able to be serviced at once this really won`t be were passenger trains will be parked but wouldn`t mind being able to have plenty of passenger cars visiting/at the station during an ops session

Ops wise I think there would be something to gain by adding runarounds and stub ending the REA and post offices off to the right or left of the station depending on how the holdover track works out

Also remember that there will be upper level staging of 3 tracks running into another room this will be accessed by one track against the wall at the right side of the plan

Also don`t forget will be using peco 55 so double slips could also be in there but I do think where onto something with the whole helix as reversing section
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2013, 10:51:53 AM »
If you really want that engine facility, it would be easy enough to expand the holdover track into one. I would keep it simple, though. Just refueling/sanding for the locomotives that are holding over. One thing that I would add in, I think that the right side needs a longer lead.

In regards to another platform, I think two platforms served by four tracks is probably already stretching the "prototype". I would think that the prototype probably would be a single platform with a track on each side. Also, with the left side going in two different directions, having an odd number of platforms would make the station lopsided. Finally, I think that  new platform tracks would be pretty short, probably too much so to be useful.

In regards to the REA and Post Office, keep in mind that they are intended to be operated as two stub yards. They're just connected to provide longer storage tracks. If you want more space, you could always add a third track, but I don't really think that you're going to need much more space than what you've got here. I presume that you'd prefer to keep cars moving rather than sitting around. Also, if you start adding stub yards on the sides, I think you're going to wind up with a speghetti mess that doesn't do much to enhance ops.

Totally out of left field it occurred to me that you could alternately set up the REA/PO as a loads-in-empties-out style operation, with the REA on one track and the PO on the other. Arriving cars are delivered to the left side and departing cars are picked up from the right (or vice- versa). Not sure if that's better or worse than working the two sides as two different industries, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:01:54 AM by eric220 »
-Eric

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »
agreed simple is better for the engine area

My main thought for another platfrom was trains from Philly but realize now it would just be coach trains running back and forth on the 1/2 hour
so yes 2 platforms is fine 3 would be overkill

I like your hit out of left field I like the loaded in empty out plan can work and would free up staging space I think that would work much better

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2013, 07:48:18 AM »
Alright eric put your design into XtrckCad (remembered to up the pixel count this time for the photo  :D)
Very tired and heading to bed but that`s the finally fixed helix position

On the right side the track that runs under the mains goes off to a future staging area in another room this will only be 3 tracks about 150" long
I didn`t tie in the freight run by I`m not sure if it needs to be? :? but that`s easy only have to add in 4 switches

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
Can't talk you into the double track exit on the left, huh?

I didn`t tie in the freight run by I`m not sure if it needs to be? :? but that`s easy only have to add in 4 switches

If you did, you could eliminate the runaround track just below it. That was the point of connecting it, so it could do double duty as a runaround and reduce the number of tracks. (Although I see that I included it as well... Oh well, that's what you get when you pull an old design for source material.) Having said that, I like this arrangement better. Actually, if you're going the single track the left side, you don't need both the upper and lower runarounds. I'd suggest either eliminating the lower one or reconfiguring it as an REA/PO track.

I notice that you left out the connection between the REA/PO tracks and the station ladder on the right. That gives you a short runaround to get the locomotive on the correct side of a cut of cars to work the REA/PO on that side.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:16:06 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2013, 11:30:52 PM »
I had a thought for an alternative to the left side.  It gives you a little more length for the REA/PO tracks, and helps bring the coupling/uncoupling locations out beyond the platform tracks.

-Eric

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »
1 thing I don`t like is the turnout next to the helix will be a hard reach unless your inside the helix, though It could be hooked up to a switch machine and in the event of problems be reached by standing up in the helix

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
Yeah, I guess that reach is a little longer than I thought.
-Eric

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »
 gets very deceiving, I try to have the lower level benchwork layer on when I'm working on it
But if I rework that left side I think I can get that to fit

If you draw a line straight down off the right side of the helix that's the edge of the reach zone

Also Eric you have any clue what PRR standard station trackage spacing was?
Going though RobsPRRpage now to try and find some info on it

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2013, 10:33:42 PM »
been awhile but plans get changed
The passenger station will not be a stub with tracks running though the wall into a shelf in another room

The long wall will be an industrial area or possibly just a large steel mill

Based more off of Wilkes barre PA in the 50s with the mains running past coal mines and many industrial sidings