Author Topic: Things to do with a Bachmann Northern?  (Read 5733 times)

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Things to do with a Bachmann Northern?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »
perhaps the way one words the question also frames the answer.

If I had a PRR layout AND I had a b-mann northern
how can I run the northern?

I would make it look like the PRR J class by moving headlamp
and make a pilot other appliance on the front and ignore the running gear.

yeah foobie.... and what PRR would have done.

vitor
Victor,EXACTLY what I did to one of my Bachmann Northerns 20 years ago,still have it..

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 02:12:36 AM »
Hi LV Lou,
Cool!!!
got a picture?

who knows? maybe I got the idea from something you posted.

victor

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
well, you COULD bend history a little bit, and not totaly foob it...

I wonder how the Pennsy went about fueling those big oil-fired engines on a railroad that, to my knowledge, used only coal in their locos?

Mark in Oregon

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
Hi LV Lou,
Cool!!!
got a picture?

who knows? maybe I got the idea from something you posted.

victor
Victor,I'll get one up tonight.Strummer,PRR may have converted them to coal.They had different tenders..

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
Victor,I'll get one up tonight.Strummer,PRR may have converted them to coal.They had different tenders..

They most definitely did not convert them to coal. And most definitely kept their original eight axle tenders.
Otto K.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »
I suppose that is the 'easy way out' actually.  The answer is 'nothing', just run them on your PRR as-is.   While the ATSF lease of the 5000-class didn't last long, it did exist.  The easiest 'foobie' to model is to simply assume they also needed some faster power than the 5000-class for the 1956 power shortage and include a 4-8-4.

ATSF wasn't particular either in return, particularly during WWII.  I think they tried two PRR L-1 2-8-2's (and repainted them into ATSF as well, just like the Trix 4-6-2) and did the well-known lease of the N&W 2-8-8-2's for Raton helper service as the 1790-class.  They were desperate for power as well at times.
http://www.3rdrail.com/images/SF-882-mikado.jpg

I know I was stunned to see the PRR L-1's lettered in Santa Fe.   So if you want to letter up 3780-class Northern for PRR, you've got more basis in fact than you do to foobie-up a locomotive to look like something PRR might have run from the neighbors.  ATSF did!

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 10:13:36 PM »
Wow!

Didn't realize I had so many alternatives. Should have thought about the AT&SF units running in Ohio. I have that video. The period is a little late though, I'm aiming for the late '40s.

Modeling the J1 (sort of) is another one I hadn't thought of. I had thought the C&O "Kanawa" boiler would be needed, but I just looked at both the J1 and the 5000 and realized how similar the boilers, domes, etc were. Cobbling up the"Q" style cab from styrene would go a long way towards giving it that "Pennsy" look. When I thought of "foobing" the Bachmann I thought of a T1 rebuilt into a Northern. Some folks think that there were plans to try this. In the current "Steam Glory 3" there is an article on the T1 and it sounds that PRR was pretty committed to making the T1 work as is. The idea that a PRR version of a Northern would look like a J1 sounds very plausible.

The Reading engines would fit in if I was modeling Harrisburg, in fact they would almost be required. Since, however, I'm modeling Altoona and The Curve a pseudo J1 would be more appropriate. Then again, would it be extremely difficult to add a fifth set of drivers? Food for thought.

Creating a T1 and using the Bachmann mech just for looks...Never even crossed my mind. I have two of these Northerns. I cannabalized one to get the second one running so I still have many of the parts. I like the idea of motorizing the tender. I have an FA I could sacrifice (unless I use the mech for my sharks). More food for thought.

One final alternative is to make the Allegheny Eastern a full blown freelanced layout with a PRR slant. I've thought of this several times when looking at my DL109's (before I realized the mechs would make perfect BP20's). A freelance version would give me leeway to run streamlined Hudsons and other power the Pennsy never owned. Not that I would just slap Allegheny Eastern on the tender of a Santa Fe 5000, but I could run a Northern type with some cosmetic changes. It would allow me to supplement my meager stable of Pennsy steam.

The possibilities in this hobby are amazing if your willing to accept the challenges.

Frank

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 11:26:44 PM »
They most definitely did not convert them to coal. And most definitely kept their original eight axle tenders.
Otto K.
LOL!! Brainfade..I changed the tender on my Bachmann..Hey,it's been 20 years since I really paid attention to it..

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 11:36:17 PM »
Here's the aformentioned Bachmann"Texas"...

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 11:56:28 PM »
It looks good with a C&O tender behind it also....

Tony Hines

victor miranda

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 12:03:19 AM »
Hi Lv Lou,

that is pretty much what I had in mind.

victor

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »
That C&O tender looks very much like the one in this photo...

It occurs to me that seeing this model rounding The Curve would certainly give the same impression as watching an actual model of J1. Big and beautiful. I'll bet it would take a few moments for anybody to realize they are not looking at a actual J. I think I'm sold on the idea. I'll just have to find a C&O tender on E-Bay.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Regards,
Frank Musick

victor miranda

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »
Hi Skipgear,

did you do anything with the pick-ups in that tender?

victor

victor miranda

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »
man as I post.... another.

Hi kelticsylk
I can state that improving the pickups help a whole lot with a b-mann 4-8-4.

so If you can get a berk tender...  hunt for the trucks under the Kato gs-4 tender
well worth the efforts.

victor

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 12:13:40 AM »
Hi Skipgear,

did you do anything with the pick-ups in that tender?

victor

I used the pickup but flipped them so that one truck picked up left and the other picked up right rail instead of both picking up only one side in the original Concor configuration. It ran very well with just that added pickup. It also has a DZ125 decoder mounted in it.
Tony Hines