Author Topic: Scheduling my Vacation... 2013 N scale convention... Is it worth it?  (Read 5165 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Scheduling my Vacation... 2013 N scale convention... Is it worth it?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »
I was looking at it as well, but I am in the planning stages of doing Trainfest next year. I also will be going to Alaska July 10-23, so that pretty much with Trainfest will take up all my vacation time for the year.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »
I went to the Chantilly Va show in 2004 and it was  a blast, but it was one of the triple shows, so the others I`ve been to pale in comparison. If i was going to travel to a train show it would be Springfield Mass next month..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
David, can you elaborate a little on why you didn't like it?

Oh my, where to begin... Let's see, it was an N scale convention, but aside from a few N dioramas, there was much more Z scale on display. Seriously. The BAZ Boyz showed up with their award-winning modules and stole the show (not that there was much to steal). What was most irksome was that the convention planners went waaaay overboard at the dinner patting each other on the back, yet did not offer one word of thanks to the BAZ Boyz. The clinics were held in the middle of the contest/layout room, with no screen, projector, mic or even an easel, just a few tables. Presenters rarely stuck to their schedule, so some went long while others got truncated. Given the locale of Medford, there was precious little in the way of outside activities aside from a tour of MTL and a trip to a ride-em train at a park. Consequently the attendance was pretty low, especially for vendors/manufacturers. Overall the value of the convention, in light of the cost to get there, was quite disappointing.

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »
I have been to all of the conventions since 2005.   Each one has been different, but all have been fun.  The jet boat ride through Hellgate was a blast. 

Through the years we have met a lot of very nice people that we look forward to seeing again at the next convention.  This is definitely a convention in which you can take your spouse, because it is not only about the trains.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 06:08:13 AM »
Aren't the Butterburgers from Culvers?

Tell me you didn't just say that.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Buffering...

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 08:43:43 AM »
Live in DFW and went to the Houston one, but only because I could tie in a business trip with it, so the nominal extra cost was a day of car and hotel.  To me, that is about all its worth, even though I enjoyed myself immensely.  Frankly, I would bet Trainfest (having just attended my first one) would be better, even with all those other scales.  Maybe even a WGH.

But, that is just my opinion.  It would depend, I guess, on what you like from a convention or show.  I like size, people, mfgs there, etc.  Not as big on the clinics (in most cases) and the ones I would go to (ops, DCC) are probably even more abundant at bigger shows.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
Tell me you didn't just say that.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Well......

http://www.culvers.com/menu-and-nutrition/butterburgers/

I do have some experience with unhealthy menu items!
Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »
Maybe we need to have DKS set up next to Modutrak so we can show them what Z scale really is, David, are you available???
Rick

He threw the Z scale layouts in the trash already. 

Anyway, Trainfest is probably the better of the two options if one is looking for a massive display of trains.  The NSE convention should be good, but is more of a social event.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
Well......

http://www.culvers.com/menu-and-nutrition/butterburgers/

I do have some experience with unhealthy menu items!
Best wishes, Dave

Culvers stole it from the original.   :scared:

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »
Culvers stole it from the original.   :scared:

Now Mike, it might just be a coincidence that they are both made at the same factory in Sheboygan.  :P

I have to admit that I have limited Kopp's Butterburger experience. I will have to conduct exhaustive research next time I am in town. As  kid, we only went to Leon's for the sorbet (just kidding) and we had too many kids and too little money to go out for burgers. I have been to Kopps for custard mainly due to the proximity of my sibs, but still prefer Leon's.  Went it comes to high calorie, low nutrition foods, you really can't go wrong.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +579
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
Weinerschnitzel ala Holstein at The Gast Haus in Waukesha (near Kalmbach) is our "must" stop the night before Trainfest in those lucky years when we get to go.  Ala Holstein means that there is a fried egg and anchovies on top.  You can also get it plain but why?

Luckily I live within 2 miles of a Culver's and always order the Fried Cheese Curds with my Butterburger (really only the bun is buttered).  My cardiologists enjoys the boat payments I am making for him.

Looking seriously at the NSE but definitely time to get back to Trainfest.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
So much a function of geography. Local/regional "experts" willing to do clinics, home layouts, club layouts, nucleus of vendors to fill tables, prototype viewing.....

Went to the Harrisburg gathering on the "public" day. The train meet there had a very good offering of items to purchase and there were a good number of manufacturers there. Not much in so far as home layouts. There were some clinics that day as I recall that were not available to "publics" that would have been interesting.

So you can't say because it was lacking one year that it will be just as lacking another year, nor can you say since it was out of sight last time it will be a blast the next. Study the agenda. But at the least, you should find the train meet aspect wothwhile for your time. I don't know if you would find it paying back your travel expenses though if you have to fly there, get lodging, and pay for meals. Being able to piggyback visits with family and friends should put it over the top.

Like that other activity, the first time always seems to be remembered fondly.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
Maybe we need to have DKS set up next to Modutrak so we can show them what Z scale really is, David, are you available???

Not available; anyway, my Z layouts are both gone, as Skibbe has pointed out.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +903
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »
Comment Removed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:43:47 PM by learmoia »
~Ian