Author Topic: Pre-announcement announcement: N scale school bus kit  (Read 15877 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Pre-announcement announcement: N scale school bus kit
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2012, 02:23:21 AM »
Rich,
a H0 vehicle manufacturer (Williams Bros.?) used to make clear-body injection-molded vehicles where you had to paint everything but the windows.  The were actually pretty decent looking. I once built their '57 Ford Crown Victoria.  Too bad they didn't make them in N scale.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3047
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2012, 06:41:44 AM »
DKS, I must say that after finally catching up in theis thread from page three, not only am I impressed with the model itself, I am more impressed with your willingness to recieve and implement direct customer input to your product, i.e. offering clear and SBY for example.  In a low volume setting this is an awesome business practice to adopt.  Well done.  I sincerely hope you sell the crap out of them!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2012, 09:25:15 AM »
DKS, I must say that after finally catching up in theis thread from page three, not only am I impressed with the model itself, I am more impressed with your willingness to recieve and implement direct customer input to your product, i.e. offering clear and SBY for example.  In a low volume setting this is an awesome business practice to adopt.  Well done.  I sincerely hope you sell the crap out of them!

Thank you for your kind remarks. I am in fact about to go into production; the release announcement will come likely by the end of the week, and they should be available for purchase by the end of next week or very shortly thereafter.

Also, I will be releasing an etched SS mirror kit (for the bus but also useful for other vehicles) sometime in January.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2012, 02:05:17 AM »
I would also be ordering the clear-cast ones (if I knew at that time that he was selling clear ones).  I'm surprised that jimmo said that he "wasted" all the remaining clear models (instead of hanging onto them until someone (like you or me) would buy them.  Such a waste.

I didn't say I wasted any clear cast models, what I meant was that the resin went unused and eventually went bad. On something like this you really don't want to chew up molds on the off chance someone will actually order them. My preference on a special request like this, is to fill the orders as I received them. Seems like it was a good idea.

Now Carter brings up another problem with clear cast vehicles. Masking tiny windows is a bitch. I finished most of my clear vehicles with metallic brush pens. Not perfect but some of them turned out pretty good. Most of them were sold under the J.R.'s Junkers line on ebay.

To answer the comment on the HO-scale Williams Bros models, remember that those were thinwall castings, so you could kind of see through the passenger compartment. Hollow bodies have definite possibilities, however the molds required would also drive up the price. Maybe some day--right now I am working on a couple of truck models with hollow bodies, interiors and clear glazing. I'll keep you posted.
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2012, 04:19:35 AM »
Thanks for the info Jimmo. This got a bit OT (sorry DKS!) so if I have any additional questions I'll PM you (or contact you through ebay).
. . . 42 . . .