Author Topic: Free-moN: At Home & On The Road  (Read 46358 times)

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
Re: Free-moN: At Home & On The Road
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »
Yes, Ben, you should have!
Would have been groovy to meet you, and the Bay Area Z scalers' layout is worth the price of admission I think  :D

Mark: The trip from one loop to the other took between 10-40 minutes, depending on who was derailed or bottlenecking ahead of you  :facepalm:
Funny thing: now we have many passing sidings and yard space and whatnot, yet all the trains seem to show up at the exact same spot all the time!
Then some people would park a train on a passing siding and wander off to check out the vendors or stop their train while talking to people or not pay attention to who's coming at them down the line... :facepalm:
Needless to say, we've started talking about signals, dispatching and an ops plan  :?

Here's a few photos and the video:

The quarry on the inside of the Wye Knot module:

Nils' 12'-long woodmill module:

The mill building itself is a mock-up stand in.
Nils scratched the woodchip loader, storage shed and all the wrapped lumber stacks.
The Davenport Cement plant will be on another 12' module (two 6' sections) at the far end of this one, starting right where that little grey coal shed and conveyor is at the end.
Prepare for pure awesomeness when it's all together and Nils works more of his mad modeling magic!

We learned a lot this show, like don't put Steve's Lockhart, TX module next to Effett Yard:

With so much traffic coming through Effett it was nearly impossible to switch the industries at Lockhart.
If we had just flipped Lockhart around it would have been fine!  :facepalm:

[There are two Asshats in that photo, one from who suprised us by showing up from Canada via Mexico!  Crazy!]

And here's the video.
It just took FOUR HOURS to upload and "process" on YouTube.
The video is 13 minutes at 1080p, and it looks very good on a full, wide screen.
Grab some popcorn and a cold one and enjoy.

Thanks for looking.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
Watched the whole video. Very nice!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

3DTrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
    • 3DTrains
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »
Great Scott! Too funny. The full-sized mannequin to show scale was also hilarious.

Terrific video, MC! :)

NARmike

• Crew
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: +1
    • N Scale NAR
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »

[There are two Asshats in that photo, one from who suprised us by showing up from Canada via Mexico!  Crazy!]

:D There I am! It surprised me too! I was giddy like a school girl  :facepalm:

So... M.C. and Nils know the story... here it is for the rest of you  :ashat: s.

Flying back from Cancun with the wife. Got into SFO (Airport) at 10pm Saturday night. Connecting flight home... 5:30 the next morning :RUEffinKiddingMe:
So we hang out and, come time to board... United had the flight overbooked and were looking for volunteers  to get bumped to the next available flight which was Monday at 6:00 am. So I jumped on that... They gave us $1000 in flight vouchers, $30 in meal vouchers and put us up in a hotel! IN SAN MATEO of all places... like 5 blocks from the show  :lol:

The funny thing was... I had just read M.C.'s articles on his Layout in a Box in N Scale Mag. on the way in from Cancun (I always bring my own reading material) and bored the wife with my comments for 4 hours... She's really good about it but probably hears "Blah blah blah a$$hat blah blah blah train..."!

So... I made it to the show and having never met M.C. or even seen a picture of him, I'm looking around for an oriental looking dude named Fujiwara...
DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY ORIENTALS LIVE AROUND SAN FRAN. ??????  :?

Well... asking around... people seemed to know him for some reason and he was pointed out to me!

M.C. introduced me to Nils and there was much a$$hattery had by all!

I got to see the Shoo-fly, the Bridge-O-Wonder, the Wye-Not, Nils' great (pose able) L90 and a pile of other great stuff in person  :drool:
I even got to watch Nils get a little crazy with train length and have to cut his consist to make it around the return loop (even his 0-5-0 has much more detail than mine... wire grabs, operating headlight... sound... "brrrrrrrrppp"  :P )

I had a great time and Nils and M.C. were very gracious hosts to me. Meeting face to face with other  :ashat: s was a wonderful opportunity and I encourage all of you to jump at the chance if you get it!

And if you ever have a chance to see the Silicon Valley Free-moN set up in person... the pictures and video do not do it justice!

Great work guys!

Mike Maisonneuve
Modeling the Northern Alberta Railway's Peace River subdivision in N scale
http://nscalenar.blogspot.ca/

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »
It was a great surprise to have Mike "drop by" the show on his way from Mexico to Canada.
Gotta be that a$$hat magic  :D

Thanks for posting the groovy photos and sorry you had trouble finding me at first (though you did have my phone number!).
Guess it would have been easier if the Model Railroad Hobbyist article had come out on Friday instead of Monday:
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/
[Shameless plug  :P ]

Always lovely to meet more Asshats!
Chuck C of Feather River was also at the show, making it probably the greatest gathering of Asshats (4!) on the West Coast.
Been a bit envious of the EastCoaster a$$hat contingent as they seem to get to hang out with each other a bit more than us.

We'll be next at the NMRA / PCR Iron Horse Express Convention in early April (both with a layout and several of us are giving clinics), so hope to see some more Asshats soon!
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
It was a great surprise to have Mike "drop by" the show on his way from Mexico to Canada.
Gotta be that a$$hat magic  :D

Thanks for posting the groovy photos and sorry you had trouble finding me at first (though you did have my phone number!).
Guess it would have been easier if the Model Railroad Hobbyist article on Chris333's awesome 20-ton coal cars had come out on Friday instead of Monday:
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/
[Shameless plug  :P ]

Always lovely to meet more Asshats!
Chuck C of Feather River was also at the show, making it probably the greatest gathering of Asshats (4!) on the West Coast.
Been a bit envious of the EastCoaster a$$hat contingent as they seem to get to hang out with each other a bit more than us.

We'll be next at the NMRA / PCR Iron Horse Express Convention in early April (both with a layout and several of us are giving clinics), so hope to see some more Asshats soon!
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »
Fantastic video, and serendipity!

avel

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Layout Album
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
Nice video, nice work and nice article in the March 2013 MRH e-zine.
iamaman27 on the youtubes

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
Groovy train day today: a$$hat Gary Hinshaw was in the neighborhood so we met up at Eric220's place to see the nifty progress on his PRR layout.
Trains running!
Camera cars camera-ing!
Asshats assing!

Then Gary popped over to my place for some Kinder's Blazin' Ball-Tip Sandwiches and some 1:160 oak tree research.
As it was a rockin' California spring day of a sunny 70 degrees, was able to get some photos of the Shoofly in the sunlight:

Those are Mark W's (CG N Scale) ventilated boxcars with Panamint's California archbars and Woodbeam trucks on 'em.

What was that little yellow thing next to the vineyard?

A very cool piece of modeling, Mr. Smith, with amazing detail.
Personally, I think it makes the scene:

Thanks for looking.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
West coast  :ashat:'s on parade, represent!

-Eric

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »
West coast  :ashat:'s on parade, represent!

Well, I've met two out of three of you  :ashat:'s.  Someday, M.C., I hope to meet you and see your great modeling in person.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
You, too, Fantastic Mr. Foxx!

Funny how Eric posted the a$$hat group photo on MY construction thread, even though it's clearly HIS layout in the background.
 :ashat:
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2013, 10:01:38 PM »
Funny how Eric posted the a$$hat group photo on MY construction thread, even though it's clearly HIS layout in the background.
 :ashat:

Hey, you brought it up!   :D
-Eric

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2013, 02:07:13 AM »
Well I'll respond in this thread too.  Thanks to Eric and MC for hosting me during my travels today!   Eric's PRR was awesome, and I learned some great tips on block detection (RR-CirKits), live-action cameras; and I even learned to love PRR steam (that T1 is an all-star!).  Then I got to witness MC's shoo-fly in its native realm: under full-on California sunshine.   Wow!  The whole scene is so organic (for lack of a better word) and, as Nils notes elsewhere, utterly inspiring.  Thanks again gents! 

I think we need to start a series of a$$hat trading cards, complete with action photos and player stats.  :)
-gfh

P.S. Love how the cows found the shade.

Nilmadic

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2013, 05:31:10 AM »
Hey your Crawler looks Awesome! Great job finishing it. I could see one of these behind it!?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/413698/1-150-jsdf-1t-water-tank-trailer.html?li=productBox-search

Too bad I didn't bother to look to see if it was actually for sale before I posted that.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:33:39 AM by Nilmadic »