Author Topic: Product Announcement: N Scale 142' Santa Fe Tugs  (Read 2198 times)

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
    • N Scale Ships
Product Announcement: N Scale 142' Santa Fe Tugs
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Product Announcement: N Scale 142' Santa Fe Tugs

My second product is a converted US Army tug, given to the Santa Fe Railroad after WWII as compensation for tugs requisitioned during the war. These two tugs served from 1947 to 1985, when the ATSF shut down its ferry operations in San Francisco Bay. They were 142 feet long, and about 450 tons.

Here's the John R. Hayden:

And here's the Paul P. Hastings:

The Hayden and Hastings wore identical color schemes until sometime in the early 1970s. By 1975, the Hastings sported more and more yellow, with even the stack topping painted yellow. Here it is still black, as in about 1972, as far as I can tell. The railings and ladders stayed ATSF blue.

While most tugs are "cute," I consider these tugs to be handsome brutes, but not too big for even a small harbor scene. First run of seven ships is available immediately--but only one Hastings is in the run. Further boats will be built when ordered, as the casting is straightforward, making one at a time production feasible.

Price is now US $675, down $100 from my original estimate, and can be ordered now by contacting me at peterknolan@gmail.com. I hope to have a web site up shortly.

More Specs:
   •   Made in the USA by Pete Nolan[/li][/list]
   •   Ships are numbered, dated and signed
   •   Masters extensively researched and derived from drawings and photos.
   •   Cast resin hull and superstructure. Styrene bridge available as special order.
   •   All details anchored in drilled holes via museum practice
   •   N-Scale ladders and stairs from TrainCat2, or custom built
   •   Custom photo-etch railings with the correct height and stanchion spacing
   •   Custom-built davits, anchor mount, towing winch, and towing bitts.
   •   Hand-woven 4-way weave anchor chain of correct scale
   •   Three layer doors
   •   Twenty individually applied micro-grommets in front house; ten recessed portholes in rear house.
   •   Custom decals for both Hayden and Hastings
   •   Custom built tanks, skylights, radar, and telescoping brass mast.
   •   Individually built and applied wiring conduit and handrails
   •   Rigged with the finest thread available
   •   Mooring bitts and chocks from Amati; BlueJacket Shipcrafters spotlight.
   •   Radiators adapted from BLMA parts
   •   Correct paint colors from Floquil enamels
   •   Shipping in the US is $100, including insurance. Some of this cost is for the shipping box. The ship is mounted to the base of the box by two screws, and then the box is built around the base. This shipping method ensures that rigging and other delicate parts are not dislodged by Styrofoam peanuts or other packing materials. Return of the broken-down box will earn a refund of $25.

The 260' long Santa Fe car ferry and a matching dock will be available with the tugs.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +748
Re: Product Announcement: N Scale 142' Santa Fe Tugs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
How generic is it for other RR tugs ?

pennsyfan1361

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »
The red tug looks great kind of reminds me of the PRR tugs. Makes me wish I had a harbor to model, shame I'm modeling too far inland.         Rich 
Modeling  PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD 1956-1966 Harrisburg and the Northern Division                                                                                                     CONRAIL 1976-1983 Harrisburg Division

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:07 AM »
How generic is it for other RR tugs ?

Richie,

I'll do some research on that. I know the PRR and NYC had tugs of about the same size. The ATSF ones were originally built for the US Army, and I imagine a number of others may have landed in RR service after WWII. In terms of general layout, the ATSF tugs were very similar to earlier 1900s tugs (like Hercules). Once a design proves worthy, it's often repeated again and again.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +210
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »
oh man, I'm tempted, this is my neck of the woods.    It might even find a place on the club layout.   

Can't believe ferry operations were still going on when I was a kid.  Wish I had a memory of that. 

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:59:15 PM »
Richie,

The PRR acquired several of this model tug from the Army after WWII! I've found only one name so far, the Linden. I'll bet the hull was Brunswick Green and the superstructure Pennsy Maroon, with the PRR keystone on the stack. Haven't tracked down prototype pictures yet, but this discovery might move the second run of tugs up to next on the list, this time painted for PRR.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »
Is this any help?

eja

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1220
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
+100!

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:05 PM »
eja,

Thanks! That one's a little smaller than 142', and quite fanciful with its steam stack and SC radar. I think most steam had been retired by the time that style radar came along, especially for small commercial ships. When they converted steam to diesel, they usually cut the stack down a bit and, by the time radar was installed on small tugs, it was a different and less expensive version. Not saying the painting can't be accurate (there's a prototype for everything, and truth is stranger than fiction)--it's a nice painting overall, but I'd hate to try to launch the lifeboat from the geometry of those davits (let alone they would probably snap).

I do have great, complete drawings of this class of 85'-110' tug, but there are a number of inexpensive built-ups out there (Savon-Art) that I just can't compete with at this time. But I will look at the possibilities during my two-month winter hiatus.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »
You are welcome...

At least any PRR fans now know which Keystone to find for more information.

eja

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 03:50:32 PM »
I will pay dearly for that issue.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +514
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
Very nice

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 11:00:10 PM »
Managed to find the PRR version. I'm not sure where the image came from, so I can't credit it properly, but I think fair use applies here for historical purposes. The pilot house looks a little lower than the ATSF version. That could be the angle of the photo, or a different version--mods happened all the time. Everything else matches.

The PRR barges were pretty big: about 337' long, with four tracks!

Also found through research that the painting of the Long Island tug was indeed accurate. The steam powered tug was acquired in 1941 and served until the 1960s. Photos show it and the sister ship Garden City with SC radars on top.

superturbine

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »
Just beautiful work…. I think if you give people a little time they will add bays to their layouts and make a space for your creations.

Jason Smith

pennsyfan1361

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 01:02:03 AM »
Pete,  that PRR tug was used in rougher water the Chesapeake I think, and hauled its barge from behind so it did not need the higher wheel house. The tugs in NY and in Phila. had the higher wheel house because the barges were hauled on the side of the tug on their hip so they needed to be able to look over the freight cars on the barges. A lot of times two barges were tied like a V and the tug in the middle of the V.      Rich   
Modeling  PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD 1956-1966 Harrisburg and the Northern Division                                                                                                     CONRAIL 1976-1983 Harrisburg Division