Author Topic: I hate N scale!!!  (Read 3867 times)

bc6

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
I hate N scale!!!
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
not really, but Im a bit upset. Im upset because I cant get an Burlington Northern SD40-2 in N scale without paying a fortune for it. Meanwhile I can get a HO Athearn BN SD40-2 for $89.00 BNIB, can someone tell me why that is. Please allow me to step down from my soapbox now thanks.

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: I hate N scale!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
Yup I hear you. Plus MUCH more out there in HO than N scale. I figure in 22 years when I retire, that N will have much more available.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »
I think I read something about a "Dash 2" project? Any fruit coming from that tree?
I'd like a nice BN white face.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
I just so happen to have an SD40-2 BN shell sitting right here in front of me.   ;)

Give me a call tonight John after 1900 and we can haggle about it.   :D
Jon

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »
Well, a quick perusal of eBay's completed listings shows me that new BN SD40-2's (Kato) go for $60 - $90.
Maybe they aren't quite what you want, I don't know.

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
Here's a link to a nice incoherent thread about the Dash 2 project

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=27399.msg281128#msg281128

Regarding the BN shell, I also have one, custom painted, from the first run by Kato, that I would be willing to sell, send a message if interested.
I’m not here to argue

avel

• Crew
    • Layout Album
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »
Maybe Kato's next run will fix the too tall stanchion on the conductors side, where the blower duct ends.
iamaman27 on the youtubes

bc6

• Crew
    • PRLX Leasing
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »
Well, a quick perusal of eBay's completed listings shows me that new BN SD40-2's (Kato) go for $60 - $90.
Maybe they aren't quite what you want, I don't know.

I went that route too, all 4 of them were blue box kato and/or bids.  :facepalm:

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »
Here's a link to a nice incoherent thread about the Dash 2 project
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=27399.msg281128#msg281128

Why do I get this message when I click on it? Do I need some special permissions? If so, how?
"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
Why do I get this message when I click on it? Do I need some special permissions? If so, how?
"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

You might need a certain number of posts before you can access certain parts of the Railwire. I'm sure someone who really knows will post the reason shortly.

Hmm... Kiz is faking it
again...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
Yeah, 25 is the magic post number...suffered through that myself as an Atlas forum exile.

There's two schools of thought though; those that get bugged by N scale due to the lack of availability of certain things they want, and those that enjoy it even more when it is successfully conquered.   Knowledgeable modelers in N scale KNOW that not just everything in the world gets poured out of a box; if you have done good work it is recognized.  Certainly is here.

I have to admit I enjoy participating in a scale where there's still a lot of frontiers out there, and some work involved.   I rather like that.  I think I'd be bored if it was just an exercise in shopping where the guy with the biggest checkbook wins.   There's a fine line between 'not enough' and 'enough to be creative', I'd like to think N is still the second sort.  I've very much enjoyed my exercises in pushing the envelope.

I'll also admit that may be a minority view, that's OK, and as my wife will attest to, being completely wrong in a situation has never sufficiently bothered me!

BTW, your entire 'lease fleet' concept is brilliant, very well done.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:15:15 PM by randgust »

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
Yeah, 25 is the magic post number...suffered through that myself as an Atlas forum exile.
Thanks guys for enlightening me. I guess I need to be more vocal...with text.

There's two schools of thought though; those that get bugged by N scale due to the lack of availability of certain things they want, and those that enjoy it even more when it is successfully conquered.   Knowledgeable modelers in N scale KNOW that not just everything in the world gets poured out of a box; if you have done good work it is recognized.  Certainly is here.

I have to admit I enjoy participating in a scale where there's still a lot of frontiers out there, and some work involved.   I rather like that.  I think I'd be bored if it was just an exercise in shopping where the guy with the biggest checkbook wins.   There's a fine line between 'not enough' and 'enough to be creative', I'd like to think N is still the second sort.  I've very much enjoyed my exercises in pushing the envelope.

I'll also admit that may be a minority view, that's OK, and as my wife will attest to, being completely wrong in a situation has never sufficiently bothered me!
BTW, your entire 'lease fleet' concept is brilliant, very well done.

I agree with you, I like that not everything is available. When you see a custom job, you know that they had to work for it. Or if it's something unique, it offers an opportunity to ask "how'd you do that?!".

I remember seeing a project by U18B (I believe) where he had purchased a brass EMD demo GP60 (or GP59) on ebay, which I had also bid on. I'm glad he got it though because he did a DCC install with all the lights. I'd love to have one of those one day but I know that I'll have to build it myself since the curved edges on the nose are not something that many locomotives had.

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
Semi related, but earlier this year I was paired with a golfer who had been out of commission for more than a year with shoulder, neck and other surgeries.  The day was picture perfect, the course one of the top 100 in the US, and he stood on the first tee expounding on just how great it was to be back and how great golf was.  A decent drive, miss the green slightly, and a chip up left him a medium length putt for par.

He missed and screamed out "I HATE golf!"  How fast things turn when things don't go exactly our way!

Bob Horn

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
bc6, I don't think any of the Kato SD-40-2's were "blue box". The straight 40's were but as I remember all the -2's were new chassis and DCC ready. I wish Kato would bring them back, solid runners. The Mid-pro is a good loco but like the original hard to find in the cab headlight version. Bob.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 01:04:24 AM »

I went that route too, all 4 of them were blue box kato and/or bids.  :facepalm:

Blue box Katos are not SD40-2s, those are SD40s.

As for them being auctions...place a bid and hope for the best.

I'd say ask Kato to do another run, however being it took probably close to 2 years for the BN run to sell out, doubt they are planning another BN run anytime soon.

Every now and then I surf eBay and will buy a BN SD40-2 or 10.  But I'd like to have close to 5-10% of the BN SD40-2 fleet, and with a total of 835 units...5% is still 40 units...gonna be a while.  Currently up to 29 units...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:10:13 AM by Ike the BN Freak »