Author Topic: Help on a HCD Layout Plan  (Read 16777 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Help on a HCD Layout Plan
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
How did you get the two return loops on the end with the curve turnout to keep the right separation using sectional track?

Nothing magical. Just use the right pieces and it all comes together. One of the many reasons I prefer AnyRail--it makes an otherwise messy trial-and-error process quite painless.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
+1 for AnyRail. A very good track planning program for the money.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

dowish

• Crew
  • KF7LPT
  • Respect: +10
Construction Update
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »
I got the cork and track glued down for the curve that has  been at the bottom of my last couple of posted track plans.  I have it slightly super-elevated, but it doesn't look like you can really tell in the picture.

I played around a little with my track plan, mainly to see if I could get back to the main not going through the diverging route of a turnout (Apparently a pet peeve of mine).  In the process, I realized that the 22.5° crossing template the XtrkCAD uses is way bigger than the actual crossing I have.  XtrkCAD has legs about 7" long and the one I have measured to about 4.5", maybe 4.25".

The next step will be to install the turnout on the back side of the layout.  I would like some advice about controlling that turnout remotely.  I have an Atlas under table switch machine (item #2065).  The problem with that is the throw rod it has is way to short.

dowish

• Crew
  • KF7LPT
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »
Well, I got some more track glued down, and then hacked in the rest of the loop.  Must run trains...  :D  As a side note, this is the largest loop of track I've ever had.  Very cool!

I think my next step is to clean up the mess in the middle so I can actually find the tools I need when I set them down.  Of course, that's how the mess starts...

dowish

• Crew
  • KF7LPT
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
Guess its time for an update.  Not much as change with the track.  In fact, track laying is pretty much at a stand still till I can get some more turnouts and flex.

I did get my DCC bus wiring done and have dropped a couple of feeders.  I used 18AWG stranded wire for the feeders and after installing the first pair, I decided they look huge once they were soldered to the track.  The next set I installed, I ended up cutting off about half the strands which helped the looks some.

dowish

• Crew
  • KF7LPT
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 10:49:40 PM »
Well, progress is being made, slowly.  The track from the curved turnout to the turnout on the other side is only temporarily down, along with all the sidings.  Once I can find the #7 turnouts I need, I'll be able to glue down the rest of the mainline.

I'm thinking of a small hill where I've got Square Mountain to breakup the flatness and hide at least part of the train.  I'll want it smaller and I'm not sure if I want a tunnel or a cut.  I'm also thinking that I'll want a lake in the corner next to the hill.  I've never done water scenery before and I'd like to try it.

On top of Square Mountain, you can see a SD70ACe with a bad decoder, along with a baby monitor that lets me know when train (nap) time is over.