Author Topic: Anyrail  (Read 2433 times)

Conrail_d

• Respect: 0
Anyrail
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
How do you print 1:1 size in anyrail ? Have my bench work finished out a would like to start laying some track

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
Re: Anyrail
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »
Zoom out to 1:1 (the scale is shown at the bottom right corner).
Go to print preview.
Should show the plan as 1:1.
Hit print.

You might have to go to Print Setup and set the page direction to conserve paper, depending on the width of your design.
I like 3" square grid, though 6" is fine too.

And don't forget to turn off the 2-sided printing option  :facepalm:
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
Even easier, download Version 5. The Print dialog box contains an array of printer settings, including the ratio of the final print. Just pick 1:1 and load up a lot of paper...

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
Thanks David. I didn't know that.

What I do is a bit more complex (no surprises there for those who know me). I save the plan as a big jpg, import it into Adobe Illustrator (set up the paper full size for the section of interest), save as a pdf, email to FedEx/Kinkos and have them print it on a plotter ($0.75 a square foot). This is worth it to me for complex portions of a plan where pasting together a bunch of individual sheets might be problematic.

Now that you know how to print, lets see the plan!

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »
What I do is a bit more complex (no surprises there for those who know me). I save the plan as a big jpg, import it into Adobe Illustrator (set up the paper full size for the section of interest), save as a pdf, email to FedEx/Kinkos and have them print it on a plotter ($0.75 a square foot). This is worth it to me for complex portions of a plan where pasting together a bunch of individual sheets might be problematic.

That requires it's own, step-by-step thread,

Phil
- Phil

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »
Thanks David. I didn't know that.

Now that you know how to print, lets see the plan!

Best wishes, Dave

JPGs?!  <insert scratching-my-head smily here>
I assume that any track planning software (just like CAD/CAM programs) uses a vector format not raster (aka bitmap) format.  AI is also a vector-based publishing program.  Why can't you export the plans in some sort of vector format which AI can read?  PDFs can also handle vectors. Vector-format files are also fraction of the size of bitmap files.  Then if Kinko's machine is a true plotter then it will truly plot the vector-based graphics for you.
. . . 42 . . .

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »
That requires it's own, step-by-step thread,

Phil

+1
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Dave Schneider

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 05:04:11 PM »
Okay guys,

1) Save it as a jpeg.
2) Covert to pdf.
3) Print it on a plotter.

Advantage. You don't have to cut and tape multiple pages together. If you want to do that, see DKS's instructions.
Got it?  :P

Best wishes, Dave

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
Okay guys,

1) Save it as a jpeg.
2) Covert to pdf.
3) Print it on a plotter.

Advantage. You don't have to cut and tape multiple pages together. If you want to do that, see DKS's instructions.
Got it?  :P

Best wishes, Dave

But ... but ... where's the beer come in?

Jim

Dave Schneider

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »
Why can't you export the plans in some sort of vector format which AI can read? 

Well, mainly because Anyrail doesn't do that.
If it did,  I would. I understand the raster/vector thing.
It doesn't, so I don't.
The way I do it produces acceptable results for the application of transferring the plan to the bench work.

Best wishes, Dave

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »
JPGs?!  <insert scratching-my-head smily here>
I assume that any track planning software (just like CAD/CAM programs) uses a vector format not raster (aka bitmap) format.  AI is also a vector-based publishing program.  Why can't you export the plans in some sort of vector format which AI can read?  PDFs can also handle vectors. Vector-format files are also fraction of the size of bitmap files.  Then if Kinko's machine is a true plotter then it will truly plot the vector-based graphics for you.

Vector exports may come in the future. For now, all of the export options are various flavors of bitmaps.

<insert smiley singing "You can't always get what you want" here>
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:39:02 PM by David K. Smith »