Author Topic: The Modular Bug is Buzzing in my Ear  (Read 9305 times)

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
Re: The Modular Bug is Buzzing in my Ear
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
Also heard back from Harold @ NLandPacific.  They ordered the jigs from this guy:

http://rodneysrrtools.x10.mx/index.html

He does not list the jig in his N-Scale tools list, though.

casmmr

• Crew
  • It is a Hobby
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
Whatever module standard you finally settle upon, you need to have the friendship that comes from association with a group of module builders and exhibitors.  When you stay only in your basement, you do not fully participate in the hobby in my humble opinion.  The public shows and speaking with other modelers lets you learn new things and increases your ability to model by comparing your results with the others in your group.  Just remember to find a group that you can play with well.  Have Fun.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
Since this thread got floated, I have a couple of questions for the Silicon Valley Free-moN guys.  I want to build the module with the shown triangular "wings", which can be removed so that the module becomes a more normally shaped rectangle at shows where a live crossover isn't needed/desirable.  Which main do you think should be on the "permanent" section of the module?  From what I've seen, it seems that most of the layout is single track, so it might make sense to put the removable wings under the double track main.  That way if the crossover is just cosmetic, it can slip in along the single track section.

Second question.  I designed the crossover with a double track and a single track to make it a little more interesting (and because I really prefer double track mains).  Given the way your guys' layout comes together, would it make more sense to do this as two single track mains?  That would allow it to be aligned as either a left hand or right hand crossover, as well as eliminate two signals and derails.  It would also give me two pockets in which to place the tower that would not have derails pointed right at them.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Nilmadic

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »
Since this thread got floated, I have a couple of questions for the Silicon Valley Free-moN guys.  I want to build the module with the shown triangular "wings", which can be removed so that the module becomes a more normally shaped rectangle at shows where a live crossover isn't needed/desirable.  Which main do you think should be on the "permanent" section of the module?  From what I've seen, it seems that most of the layout is single track, so it might make sense to put the removable wings under the double track main.  That way if the crossover is just cosmetic, it can slip in along the single track section.

Second question.  I designed the crossover with a double track and a single track to make it a little more interesting (and because I really prefer double track mains).  Given the way your guys' layout comes together, would it make more sense to do this as two single track mains?  That would allow it to be aligned as either a left hand or right hand crossover, as well as eliminate two signals and derails.  It would also give me two pockets in which to place the tower that would not have derails pointed right at them.

So...IMHO, I think that the removable double track sections and having the rectangular piece be a single track would be the best. As of now, we have mostly set up as a single track main. That is largely due to the fact that no one has built many double track modules. I'm pretty sure Railnerd, also a SVFree-moN'er,  has some single to double track modules in the works. In fact, the track may be functional and everything...not sure of the scenery state.

That said, I for one, am not opposed to double track at all. I would love to see some more modules show up double tracked. We have no more public shows planned this year right now so it is a great time to get building!

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 01:05:12 AM »
That said, I for one, am not opposed to double track at all. I would love to see some more modules show up double tracked. We have no more public shows planned this year right now so it is a great time to get building!

BTW: Murf has 8 feet of double track, and I do have two single-to-double modules in progress.

-Dave

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »
.....    I also worked in a creek, with need for a few culverts.   :D

Coming....