Author Topic: Grand Trunk Southern  (Read 13211 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +652
Re: Grand Trunk Southern
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »
You can try small circular, colored stickers that are about 1/4" in diameter.
I think they are made by Avery and sold where you'd find office supplies.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
Re: Grand Trunk Southern
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2019, 02:06:15 PM »
+1
Wazzou it is interesting that you mention stick ons.  That is actually how I made my tabs.  Mark painted his, but since I don't have a paint booth, I looked at using my computer and Avery labels to make the colour and routing directions on the tabs.  Similar to Mark I used 1/4 Evergreen Channel for the tabs.  I then used #5160 Avery labels to create the routing directions to go on the tabs.  I will explain this further using the two photos below.

In the photo below, you can see a set of labels where I have colour coded the destination towns.  Yellow for Nathanville, Light blue for Ethansburg, Brown for Clarion, Red for CP traffic, Dark Blue for Grand Trunk Southern traffic, and Dark Green for PRR traffic, etc.  These will be cut out and applied to the tabs.  Computer generating the routing directions gives me a wide range of colours to choose from and provides clear and legible lettering as will be shown in the next photo of cars in the yard.

Here we see a group of cars sitting in the yard.  The colour coding provides basic routing information.  For example, Yellow shows that the car is going to Nathanville.  Light Blue shows that the car is going to Ethansburg.  The lettering shows where the car is to be spotted.  If you look at the two tank cars you will see one says C2 and the other says C4.  The Light Blue colour directs the car to Ethansburg, the C2 says it is to be spotted on the Chemical Track Spot #2.  The car with the C4:  the light blue colour directs the car to Ethansburg, the C4 says it is to be spotted on the Chemical Track Spot #4.  You can see that there are a number of Dark Blue tabs which shows that the cars are to be routed onto Grand Trunk Southern freights.  The lettering specifies exactly which freight the cars are to be forwarded on.  In this particular photo you can see cars destined for GTS #308 a switching local  and GTS #254 an eastbound fast freight.