Author Topic: Opinions on streetlamps  (Read 1674 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Opinions on streetlamps
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
The modern WEEHonest lamps David posted are dead ringers for the ones I grew up playing under in Baton Rouge.  They even say they will send the necessary resistors.  Looking at Max's build up I think you could use his method and an SMD to get the same result.  And don't discount those globes - DC just finished a street and sidewalk repair in spitting distance of my house that uses an oblong globe that would be easy to make from a filed down pearl bead.

As to the lights posted to start the thread - I agree they look 1:100 and thus way to thick.  I do wonder if you could salvage the bulbs and brackets and run them through thinner tubing . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »
If you are willing to go for unlit lights, I like the Kato ones. They come 20 in a package as both one (16) and two light (4) units. You also get some Japanese style power poles, but they include nice transformers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kato-23-215-Telephone-Poles-and-Street-Lights-N-scale-/121289384314?

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:29:48 PM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
I've kind of standardized on two different lights for what I need:

1)  Noch station lights, which are metal - and I heavily modify them with a 'drop-down' clear housing that looks more like the station lamps at Flagstaff and Winslow, and solder on additional decorative detail.  The poles are thick but the height is right.
http://www.randgust.com/99962108.jpg     
The big glass housing is actually a piece of Lucite rod drilled out to fit on the bulb, and ACC'd directly to the bulb itself.

2)  Miniatronics modern streetlights.    Darn pricey but very thin poles and very small heads.   Not LED so I still get that 'warm' look and can dim them right down to get the light level I want.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:27:08 PM by randgust »

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »
The WeHonest lights work and look ok, but 1 out of every 5 or so is often unacceptable.  They can also vary in size, as if each one was "hand drawn".  So sometimes you'll have like 5 in a row and one will be a good 5mm or so taller than the others.  It's a bit of a case of getting what you pay for.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
That's my challenge also, "Victorian Lamps" with a white globe on top.

I made some but they're kinda meh.

I did order some of the WeHonest "Garden" lights, which have a globe on top but it's one of those "You get what you pay for" sorta things... Their assembly process doesn't promote uniformity from one lamp to another plus there are some other irregularities with them.  Heck, I'd gladly pay 3X the amount that they're charging for 10 of them in order to get a set that is uniform in appearance.

The Willmodels hotel looks awesome though. Nice job Mike.
James R. Will

Pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »
Michael
What's the fourth building from the left in your picture?

Jim
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:51:45 PM by Pennsy »

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 10:34:29 PM »
Michael
What's the third building from the left in your picture?

Jim

If you're referring to the green front building, It's a Willmodels Hotel kit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171073935130&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
James R. Will