Author Topic: When Did Railroads Cease Using Icing Platforms?  (Read 4697 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
Re: When Did Railroads Cease Using Icing Platforms?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:05 AM »
True, but it's likely that most of the cars from a given location would be either iced or mechanical.  Blocking by car type, which is what I was referring to, would be minimal.  Part of that was due to the fact that most of the shippers were set up to hand 40' reefers.  The new mechanicals were usually at least 50', and small fruit warehouses either had to shift each car into position or skip every other warehouse door.  In most cases even the "small" shippers in the Wenatchee area had multiple loading doors.

Blocking for destination, on the other hand, would certainly be needed, regardless of car type.    "Appleyard" wasn't called that just to be cute.  It's main purpose for years was collecting and blocking carloads of fruit.  And, yes, it had a large icing facility right to the end of ice service.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a reefer block destined for, say, New York City, would have the iced cars together, and then the mechanicals.   The GN would let whoever delivered the cars switch them by customer.
N Kalanaga
Be well

TheCitrusBelt

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »
Someone wrote, “I have been fortunate to attend several clinics by Keith Jordan, the most knowlegable man on ASTF reefers. He indicated that generally, the last gasp of ice reefers came when frozen goods went to mechanical cars. Then, ice reefers were used in what was called "tip iced vegatable service" where large hoses sprayed crushed ice over the top of crates of vegetables. So, no blocks, no salt.”

These statements are misleading.

1.   I consult with Keith Jordan on a regular basis.  The vast bulk of the nation’s Type RS (produce, not meat) ice bunker refrigerator car fleet was not designed for transport of frozen food. The mechanical reefers helped to push these cars out of service because they could handle the emerging frozen food service (early 1950s) plus the commodities normally transported at somewhat higher temperatures in ice bunker cars.  In addition, the infrastructure supporting ice bunker cars was expensive.
2.   "tip iced vegatable service" actually is TOP ice – vegetable” service.
3.   Large amounts of salt (up to 30% by weight) was required for meat reefers (Type RAM) but little or none for produce (Type RS) reefers.

As to the original question, in 1973 the ICC permitted discontinuance of bunker icing for refrigerator cars.  Top-iced service was offered after that date by some railroads.  Citrus loads were never top-iced.

Bob Chaparro
Citrus Industry Modeling Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/citrusmodeling/

bill pearce

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 03:35:39 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for catching my typo!

Bill