Author Topic: How to make one of these thingies? ...As though an H10 isn't enough  (Read 6604 times)

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
Re: How to make one of these thingies? ...As though an H10 isn't enough
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 01:26:55 AM »
Hi Folks,

The question still remains what is the code for

If it is not a K9 or a K11 what6 code is it. This is the first photo I have seen of this wagon. How many and what was the code and wagon numbers.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 01:50:55 AM »

If it is not a K9 or a K11 what6 code is it. This is the first photo I have seen of this wagon. How many and what was the code and wagon numbers.

Based on what I can see in the picture and my 1967 ORER, it's a class K12, nos. 131300-131324.  All 25 were still on the roster at this time.

But what can you really tell from just a picture? :P

Jason
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:54:58 AM by wcfn100 »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 04:20:59 AM »
K12  Built by Erie from old auto boxcars, made in Meadville, PA. EL leased and later sold the whole fleet to PRR #131300-131324. Only PRR cars with Buckeye ends and Viking roofs?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie9950adb.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie9950bdb.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie9960adb.jpg
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:25:34 AM by Chris333 »

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »
Hi Jason and Chris333,

Thanks for that info. In all my travels through the PRR photos and drawings I had never come across that car before. Now they would be and interesting addition to the fleet as well.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Australia

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 03:24:50 AM »
No way.  Nobody makes a 4-axle tender truck of any kind in N Scale except the ones under the old Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern, but they are completely the wrong type.  On my T1, I used two Con-Cor Hudson 3-axle trucks spliced together.  They are still not the correct sideframes, but they work and they had good pickups in them.   If superturbine really does the T1, that's one piece I'd probably beg/buy from him - a pair of those
tender truck sideframes.  They could be cast off the brass import.

For anybody interested, Peter Harris from N Scale Kits is working on a model of the Queen Mary including the correct 4 axle trucks. He is already in an advanced stage of development and is thinking about offering the trucks as a separate item.

Marc

prbharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
For anybody interested, Peter Harris from N Scale Kits is working on a model of the Queen Mary including the correct 4 axle trucks. He is already in an advanced stage of development and is thinking about offering the trucks as a separate item. Marc

Marc and I had a very useful conversation yesterday about the T1 tender trucks and their use in the FD2. I am very grateful for Marc's and others help as we get close to completing the work on the Queen Mary FD2.

This project has been in our books for some time as a possible idea. We have drawn up drawings for the trucks and the FD2 body, and we intend to tool for these over the next couple of weeks. I intend to have some pre-production samples ready for the  NMRA BR Convention http://www.nmrabr.org.uk/annual-convention in October and will bring these with me with my booth.

If there is a demand we will have the trucks available as a separate item, and if the FD2 sells well, will also look at the FW1 - the third of the pictures posted by Cory earlier.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »
Marc and I had a very useful conversation yesterday about the T1 tender trucks and their use in the FD2. I am very grateful for Marc's and others help as we get close to completing the work on the Queen Mary FD2.

This project has been in our books for some time as a possible idea. We have drawn up drawings for the trucks and the FD2 body, and we intend to tool for these over the next couple of weeks. I intend to have some pre-production samples ready for the  NMRA BR Convention http://www.nmrabr.org.uk/annual-convention in October and will bring these with me with my booth.

If there is a demand we will have the trucks available as a separate item, and if the FD2 sells well, will also look at the FW1 - the third of the pictures posted by Cory earlier.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

Are you doing them in plastic or etched brass?

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

prbharris

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Are you doing them in plastic or etched brass? -Cody F.

The trucks will be cast white metal and etched brass rigging. The FD2 car will be in metal.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »
The trucks will be cast white metal and etched brass rigging. The FD2 car will be in metal.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

Is white metal able to have the fine detailing like brass? I'vent much experience with white metal kits and from what i've seen the texture usually is somewhat rough (even after painting) as opposed to etched brass.

-Cody F.
Tired.

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
Is white metal able to have the fine detailing like brass? I'vent much experience with white metal kits and from what i've seen the texture usually is somewhat rough (even after painting) as opposed to etched brass.

-Cody F.

White metal castings can be as good as brass castings and can give a lot more depth than an etching. An added bonus is th weight.

Marc

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 03:40:04 PM »
As Peter indicated the beauty of white metal is the weight. Detail can be better enhanced if the model is prepared for finishing first. Generally a good polish with a soft bristle brass brush will polish the surface to a high shine without removing any of the detail. The other great asset of white metal is that it can either be super glued or soldered. I prefer soldering. Because of the copper content in the white metal the pinpoint bearing surfaces tend to be self lubricating and do not tend to wear and the bogies should run great as well. Best of luck with it Peter it should be a great kit.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Australia

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
Weight seems like it might be more of a burden since i'd probably be running it behind a simple Atlas MP15 with the factory installed Lenz decoder...

-Cody F.
Tired.

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Not trying to cause too much tread drift, but is the F39 dead?
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

prbharris

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Not trying to cause too much tread drift, but is the F39 dead?

No the F39 car frame sits in front of me now - we had real difficulty in getting the side bars looking OK. We tried an etch but this did not work, so are now going to cast them. However, the first pattern of the side bars was not good enough either, so we have had another tool made. I am awaiting the first run of these now.

Then the wooden deck producer went under. We have the CAD for the laser etch of the deck done, but had difficulty getting wood for the decks. This has now arrived, and we are trying out another supplier - who has taken some of our other decks away and said that they can do them. If this proves positive, the F39 should finally come together.

We have had our main tooling done for many months - but we do need both the side bars and the decks to finish it off. Apologies.

Peter

Peter Harris
 N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

lv4142003

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »
The first photo of Frankford Junction is priceless, especially if you've been there back then. I'm in my early 60's and I can remember being there with my cousin when I was 12 yrs. old on the pedestrian overpass where these photos were taken. In the first photo you're looking at livestock cars cars used to deliver cattle to the Cross Bros. meat company up at Front and Venango Sts. There is a floating natural gas tank in the background that was at "G" and Venango Sts., about 8 city blocks away from here, and the Cross Bros. factory was another 6 blocks further west. The famous Bachman Industries of model railroad fame is about 3 blocks behind the brick knitting mill on the right (and Bachman is still there). The 4 track Northeast Corridor runs in the right hand side of the picture curving around that brick building, on a super elevated curve. The station is that little dark rectangle about in the middle above the last tank car visible. The track running to the left is the Del Air branch which took the PRR and the PRSL over the Delaware River to Camden (Pavonia Yard) over the Del Air Bridge. At night my cousin and I would go over and watch the traffic going over to Jersey pulled by E44's. Loved those monsters. All those tank cars were going to either the Allied Chemical company or Rohm & Haas Chemicals in the Bridesburg section (just north of here) or to the Alden Rubber company in the Port Richmond section. That really nice green boxcar, of which you can only see the top, was in all likelihood a Great Northern jade green box car going to a small Georgia-Pacific warehouse off Aramingo Ave (the track was to the left of the last track visible here and ran in front of the Crown factory shown in the next 2 photos. The tracks where most of the cars are sitting led to the Trenton Avenue branch that ran south toward Center City (downtown for non Philadelphians) with many sidings dropping down to street level (the Trenton Avenue line was about 20 ft above the streets throughout its entire length. Those tracks went all the way to the Delaware River, which was 10 blocks away. And they did a lot of switching. It was also the yard lead. The large brick building on the left was (and is again) the Horn School (don't remember if it had an "e" at the end). It was closed as a school because of asbestos, cleaned out, it became the Philadelphia Police  Dept. Sex Crimes Unit building, and then the school district needed it back, so it reverted back to Horn School (still don't know if it had an "e"). Those PRR open hoppers have scrap aluminum (or at least scrap metal) in them that came from a stamping factory that made beer cans for Schmidt's and Ortliebs breweries (and other bottlers - the Porto Rico soda (pop) company was on Tioga Street - and other metal cans also). There were a lot of knitting mills in this area and lots of switching. On the other side of the Del Air line you can see a PRR boxcar, this was the engine facility and at any one time you could find SW's all over. I lived about 3 blocks away on Tioga Street and at night you could here the switchers barking trying to get a cut of cars from the street level up to the Trenton line, sometimes "doubling the hill" so to speak, to get the cars up. There was  pig slaughter house down on Aramingo Avenue and the PRR track ran behind the building on some severely curved track (we used to go to watch the TTX cars coming off the Trenton line on curves that could only be described as "model railroad curves", the flanges would squeal deafeningly and you could see half the track under the cars, while the cars would lean and wobble like they were going to fall over. They then crossed Aramingo Ave. and curved back the other way, just as sharply and ended up in the PRR Truc Train yard. We would watch the drivers back Excelsior Trucking lines White tractors over the cars and unload and reload the flats, very noisy and very neat to a 12 yr. old. The PRR also had a 6 or 8 track Excelsior Trucking L-T-L facility on the other side of the Trenton line that was accessed from the line that that GN car would have used to get to the warehouse on Aramingo. This was really packed with railroad activity and I really regret not having the brains to get a camera and record it (afterall I WAS only 12 - although I was still going down there when I was in my 30's and I did have  camera, but it wasn't the same). The other 2 photos show the Crown padding company that in later years made felt padding and I don't know if it's still in business. Thanks for the great trip down memory lane. Where can I find these photos. Joe Hueber ,<lv4142003>