Author Topic: RTTX Flats Now Available From AZL  (Read 4753 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: RTTX Flats Now Available From AZL
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 01:04:06 AM »
Nothing to see here...  :P

Jason
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:34:29 AM by wcfn100 »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »
Again, see this photo... the TTX logo is in yellow:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1198950

Stirrups... remember guys, not everyone is like you. Not everyone runs broad curves. AZL has to cater to a larger customer base.

Guys, I know it is fun to pick on products. But come on, look at the photos. There is evidence supporting the paint and containers. To pick on a product just to pick on it is really lame. If you want to deal with AZL direct, come on over to the AZL forum and post your concerns. The owners listen and do want to make great products. Share your constructive criticism. But leave the bashing for the sake of bashing somewhere else.

The AZL forum is:

http://www.azlforum.com/

I would encourage you to mention your concerns over the stirrups and ride height.

Rob

Rob-

The guys here know a lot about this stuff.  They arn't "picking".  They are trying to make sure the truth is out there. 

RTTX cars are rare in container service.  There are better paint and lettering options for the AZL model.

TTX logos were always white fresh out of the shop.  It is an odd weathering issue, and AZL is not the first company to misinterpret photos.  But it really is supposed to be white.

Also, what radius smaller than the R195 that MTL makes is AZL designing for?  If I put an AZL autorack on a piece of R195 the coupler doesn't swing out past the sill of the car.  Yet there is a big notch in the car side to allow it to swing out more.  R195 is 7.6" radius! 

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +233
    • Ztrack
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
Mike,

I understand. It just seemed that from the start, the responses were going out of their way to discredit these cars. From the first post concerning containers, to the lettering. I think this is actually good in the sense that it keeps us all honest. Through this thread some have learned that these cars do indeed carry containers and not just trailers. The logo is extremely interesting and I will encourage AZL to make them white with their next run. I think that is a good way to cover the bases.

I also understand your position on the stirrups and height. I am actually on board with you on the stirrups. I would love to see etched ones on these cars. But it is difficult since AZL has to consider all operators and running reliability. I have run these on 195 and the coupler swing is impressive. I remember on the autoracks, the long shank couplers were hitting the stirrups on some curves. But then again, these cars and the autoracks really need 220mm curves and above.

Height... very interesting topic. I am extremely impressed with Tim Buehring's OTTX flat cars. These appear to sit very low on the trucks. But when I measured the deck height, I found they match perfectly with AZL's flats. The AZL cars are limited by the truck design and coupler box. You can't lower the coupler box since it would not match the standard coupler height. As it is the coupler box is almost touching the bottom of the car. There is not a lot of room to improve here. What I think we have more so is a visual issue. If the sides came down a bit more like Tim's cars, it would have the appearance of a lower car. Body mount couplers may save some height, but the running would be limited to very broad curves. I am just explaining here what I am seeing. I am not saying it is right or wrong. But I understand why the design is what it is.

Trust me, I know the guys here know their stuff. Hey, there is a reason I post these announcements here. I do expect push back and frankly, am good with it. Listen, at the end of the day, the owners of AZL are Z scalers. They really want to make great products. There will be misses at times, and there will be home runs. I am not afraid to put myself in the middle of it (maybe I am just crazy). But let's keep it real too.

I mean it when I say post your comments on the AZL site. Hans and Rob A read those posts. They really need to hear from you guys.

Also, keep sharing. If you find great photos or concepts for liveries and schemes, post them. I send AZL all kinds of images I find.

Rob

Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 04:55:47 PM »
I did post on the AZL forum this morning, per you reccomendation.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »
Rob, Stirrups or not just get the Mikado's out!   ;)

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
Probably copying the BLMA artwork:

Would be interesting to see if the AZL car says "F89-J" on the side.  It kinda looks like it does.

Yep... the brown AZL car does too... which is odd, because it's certainly NOT an F89J  ;) 

And to think... I actually WASHED a logo sticker on a parked F89J to confirm it was white (we corrected the logo before the pre-production car was even run, just never showed that artwork)

ztrack

• Crew
    • Ztrack
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »
Mike thanks for posting on the AZL forum. I was happy to see that.

Now does the Mikado have stirrups?  :facepalm:

BTW on another note, the new road names for the GP38s are on there way to our office. Milwaukee is the first one planned.

Rob
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »
Yep... the brown AZL car does too... which is odd, because it's certainly NOT an F89J  ;) 

And to think... I actually WASHED a logo sticker on a parked F89J to confirm it was white (we corrected the logo before the pre-production car was even run, just never showed that artwork)

Well I think that proves it.  So is the roadnumber panel painted?  That white seems to stay cleaner... paint would make sense since it chalks and self cleans to a certain extent.

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
Yep.... reporting marks/numbers standard paint stencils (though some of the newest PTTX seem to be stickers on sticker... the fonts are different)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:59 PM »
Mike thanks for posting on the AZL forum. I was happy to see that.

Now does the Mikado have stirrups?  :facepalm:

BTW on another note, the new road names for the GP38s are on there way to our office. Milwaukee is the first one planned.

Rob

Rob-

No response from the owners of AZL on that forum.  And it looks like you're running the show.  Are you just trying to drive traffic over there?

ztrack

• Crew
    • Ztrack
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
Mike I am just the distributor. I am not running the show nor am I the decision maker. I am truly the middle man. I have passed on the concerns listed to both Hans and Rob in a private email. AZL has created the forum as a direct tool to reach them. This is not about traffic. It is about communications between Z scalers and a manufacturer. While some manufacturers hide behind their dealers and are unreachable, AZL is at least making an effort to reach out and be accessible in a very public manor. This is the same reason I am here attempting to address your concerns.

Rob
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
Mike I am just the distributor. I am not running the show nor am I the decision maker. I am truly the middle man. I have passed on the concerns listed to both Hans and Rob in a private email. AZL has created the forum as a direct tool to reach them. This is not about traffic. It is about communications between Z scalers and a manufacturer. While some manufacturers hide behind their dealers and are unreachable, AZL is at least making an effort to reach out and be accessible in a very public manor. This is the same reason I am here attempting to address your concerns.

Rob

Ok, I just saw you were the administrator of that forum.  I wasn't implying you were running AZL.

ztrack

• Crew
    • Ztrack
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
LOL. No problem. I am an admin since I am out there so much on the forums and representing AZL. Plus I can modify any posts (insert evil laugh here). Hmmm... Mike Skibbe says 'who needs stirrups? Stirrups are SO overrated!".

:D

Rob
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
I got around this issue by designing the bolster holes on the trucks off set...makes all the difference in the world.  Another solution might be for the aftermarket guys to make a tri fold piece of brass that fits between the truck and the bolster that rotates with the truck.  Just bend down the stirruips and there you go. It would be obvious going around curves but so do couplers mounted to trucks.  Not the best solution but would make for a good stop gap fix until you guys could do some re-tooling.  I was able to install regular stirrups on the 89' flats I did out of brass for Jurg many years ago...I don't think it would be too difficult to fix.  Like in N scale with the 9 3/4 radius...the 145mm radius in Z should not be factored in on these long cars...if that is the thinking here.

Cheers

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!