Author Topic: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.  (Read 4173 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PAL_Houston

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 823
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +17
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
0
I know this is not contributing to the discussion, but that sure is a piece of architecture only a mother could love. Looks like it should be at an airport.

+1. 

I was going to say that you should do something about the aesthetics when you build it, but this is obviously one of those times when you just have to adhere to prototype fidelity. :D

I predict it will be the conversation piece of your layout....of course, you knew that, didn't you?!! :D
Regards,
Paul

rochsub

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 371
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 07:43:21 PM »
0
+1. 

I was going to say that you should do something about the aesthetics when you build it, but this is obviously one of those times when you just have to adhere to prototype fidelity. :D

I predict it will be the conversation piece of your layout....of course, you knew that, didn't you?!! :D

Yep, I got to admit its pretty ugly.  I think it will be cool none the less.  Will definitely need to hang a photo of the prototype on the wall above that particular location of the layout!


Bsklarski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 673
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
0
Those security cameras on the roof are all standard size. I know its smaller than a window or door but its something "of known size" to go by
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

jnevis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 760
  • Gender: Male
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »
0
I've used Google Earth and Sketch Up to rough out a couple structures.  It takes a little pratice and TLAR (That Looks About Right- **official gov't engineering term) but the end result will have scable dimensions.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 08:25:56 PM »
0
Something you could look at for a building like this is to first build model in a 3D program.  You would then be able to view it at whatever angle you want and compare it to photographs.  Better programs will even let you adjust the camera zoom to match a telephoto lens.  Once you build it to proportion, any known dimension can scale the model.

edit: Missed it by that much.  LOL

Jason

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
0
That Looks About Right- **official gov't engineering term

That's in the FAR, right?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
0
GEFGW (good enough for government work).   Used this most of the time.

robert3985

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3567
  • Respect: +1944
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »
0
Just for comparison's sake, here's the yard tower I'll be building.  It's for the Riverdale Yard in Utah and stood from 1947 until the mid 60's.



Gotta say although I congratulate anybody who decides to model prototype details, I'm really happy that my chosen era doesn't force me to include the subject of this thread!

Cheers!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:39:58 PM by robert3985 »

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »
0
Just for comparison's sake, here's the yard tower I'll be building.  It's for the Riverdale Yard in Utah and stood from 1947 until the mid 60's.



Gotta say although I congratulate anybody who decides to model prototype details, I'm really happy that my chosen era and road don't include the subject of this thread!

Cheers!
Bob Gilmore

Neat looking.  Reuse of an old water tank?

pnolan48

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +136
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »
0
Now that is ugly.

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5401
  • Respect: +1975
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 01:09:53 AM »
0
Yea, I think Bob is trying to outugly Darryl, with some success I might add :D
Can't make this stuff up...I love this hobby!
Otto

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »
0
Just for comparison's sake, here's the yard tower I'll be building.  It's for the Riverdale Yard in Utah and stood from 1947 until the mid 60's.

That's one of those oddballs that, if modeled faithfully, anyone unaware of the prototype (which would likely be virtually everyone) will think the builder had gone 'round the bend.

NARmike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 157
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: +1
    • N Scale NAR
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
0
Now that is ugly.
He He... Looks like something "Pa Kettle" would have built :lol:

Mike
Mike Maisonneuve
Modelling the Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River subdivision in N scale

jnevis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 760
  • Gender: Male
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 11:01:43 AM »
0
It looks like someone put the kid's play house on a water tower then stuck an outhouse underneath.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

bill pearce

  • Guest
Re: Challenge: Figuring dimensions off photographs.
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »
0
I have always used to good result the known door height figure (You can often assume that a door is 3 feet wide, too), but I have seen several clinics at the Naperville meets where modelers have taken ordinary yardsticks and painted them to be more visible, and put them in reference photos they took.