Author Topic: Model Railroad "Inventory" Programs...  (Read 6347 times)

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
Model Railroad "Inventory" Programs...
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »
Good Evening all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of the available (purchase, download, etc.) Inventory programs? I know there are a few out there. I need to keep better tabs on my loco roster and rolling stock (and everything else for that matter). I believe some can be purchased or downloaded for a "donation" fee. Any imput would be greatly appreciated! TIA....  ;)
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

BN1970

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
Re: Model Railroad "Inventory" Programs...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
Mike,
In the past I have used a number of data base programs (on my Mac) the most recent of which was OpenOffice (its Free).

But a few years ago I went over to using a spreadsheet and I have not regretted it.  My rolling stock spreadsheet (Apple's Numbers) has a worksheet for each class of car.  The one advantage for me is I can make changes on my Mac and via iCloud it will be updated on my iPad.

I also ran into a fellow at the Medford NSE Swaparama who was using and iPad App called HanDBase to track his rolling stock. It looked pretty good.  Hope that helps. --Brian
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:52:31 PM by BN1970 »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
If you're going to use a spreadsheet, use a google doc (docs.google.com). By keeping it in the cloud, it's instantly backed up (in case of traumatic data loss), and it's accessible on mobile devices (smart phones).

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:28:19 AM »

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »
I use an Excel spreadsheet.  I set up the columns so that I can cut and paste the info into the Asset Database I use for creating car cards....saves time having to type all that twice!!
Regards,
Paul

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
If you're going to use a spreadsheet, use a google doc (docs.google.com). By keeping it in the cloud, it's instantly backed up (in case of traumatic data loss), and it's accessible on mobile devices (smart phones).

I do this as well...that way when I am at shows buying items, I can make sure on the fly that I am not buying repeat road numbers.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

christoph

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »
I use an OpenOffice spreadsheet with several tables.  It has grown over the time, not only in terms of accumulated ("collected") items but also in terms of evaluations, e.g. for statistics of manufacturers, metal wheel conversions, etc..
Christoph

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »
Excel spreadsheet here, too. Since "I are an IT pro-feshin'-al", it gets backed-up regularly as part of my routine a$$-covering.

However, what I'm really looking for is an application which automatically goes through the boxes (...upon boxes...) and enters the data. :ashat:

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1531
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
Excel spreadsheet here, too. Since "I are an IT pro-feshin'-al", it gets backed-up regularly as part of my routine a$$-covering.

However, what I'm really looking for is an application which automatically goes through the boxes (...upon boxes...) and enters the data. :ashat:

Aren't those called Interns?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

rickb773

• Crew
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +654
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »
IF you have Microsoft Access on your MS Office suite and IF you have someone with rudimentary MS Access skills you can use one of the stock templates and have a powerful database for your trains in a jiffy. I'd send you a copy of mine but code does not compress and email well. (If you are in the south Jersey area and want to stop by I can give you a copy in a few minutes.)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:33:14 PM by rickb773 »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »

CoalPorter

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 04:41:19 PM »
I think you really want something that works on "mobil"
and stay away from old-tech desk top stuff.

A friend uses TRACK-MY-TRAIN (i think) on an obsolete Palm Pilot
and it is a preprogammed data base check list. I thought i was
kind of nerdy but when he  showed be how fast and easy it is to use,
 i was really hooked.
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »
Excel spreadsheet here, too.

Been doing this since I started in N back in 2001. Basically I followed my dad's format and continuing what he did for his HO stuff for the last eon.

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »
Good Evening all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of the available (purchase, download, etc.) Inventory programs? I know there are a few out there. I need to keep better tabs on my loco roster and rolling stock (and everything else for that matter). I believe some can be purchased or downloaded for a "donation" fee. Any imput would be greatly appreciated! TIA....  ;)

Some of the club members of NRMRC (North Raleigh Model Railroad Club) use the inventory program found on the website below and like many of it's features. The owner of the software (Ed Beamish) gave us a complete tutorial via Skype during our June 2012 club meeting.

http://www.edb-enterprises.com/Pages/ModelRRDatabase.aspx

Standard disclaimer  **I have no association with EDB Enterprises and do not receive any profit from the sale of his products**
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 06:23:47 PM »

+1

I've been keeping a wish list in a google doc too, list of magazine issues, books, unusual cars, etc... Quite handy to check the list from my phone when pawing through a stack of Mainline Modeler's at a swap meet to see which ones I was looking for.