Author Topic: Ideas for revamping my HCD layout?  (Read 9690 times)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
Ideas for revamping my HCD layout?
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:13:46 PM »
Hi all, i've torn my old HCD layout that was scenically incomplete apart, arranged the sale of the atlas solenoids from the turnouts (c80) and am looking to begin a new, much better layout in atlas c55. The original trackplan came from a 1990s Model Railroader project layout that was on a 28"x80" HCD, mine having been on a 30"x80" HCD.

For the new layout i'm wondering if i should keep the existing door, or go with a larger one (36"x80" or 40"x80") for more space/depth ( perhaps using the existing door and some Peco hand-throw switches to make a small staging yard)

Also, for all those whose minds have been sparked like flint against steel, i'd love to see what kind of track plan ideas you might be able to crank out.

For some pertinent details:
my modelling Era(s): 1940-50s  PRR (and occasional modern-ish stuff)
Space available: at max 40"x110" (i can cut the existing door to add 30" onto any 80" tall door) 
       (there is some unmentioned side space to do a 3' staging yard wing to make a L shape)
Turnouts i own: 10 #5s (5 LH and 5 RH) this could be added to up to 15 turnouts if it increases the operations available.

-As for the mainline, i'm one for single track, but if a two track is tempting enough, it may get used.
-An interchange track would be nice (PRR with CNJ/NYC).
-Single "scene" or divided by a skyboard is up to the planner(s) as i've no preference one way or the other.
-I don't own passenger stock, or hold much interest in it, but i do own an atlas PRR Baggage/RPO combine to do mail/REA stuff.
-The power i own for my main era is a Kato F3 A-B pair (Needs DCC which requires frame milling) and in the rare modern-ish event, it'll be an atlas NS MP-15DC
-I intend to use Digitrax DCC on the layout once i get the $$$ to buy a Zephyr.
-I do like my 40' wood-side ice reefers, Kadee 5-pack 33' PRR rib-side coal hoppers, and 30-50' flat cars with removable load(s)
-As for territory, preferably the Appalachian foothills to include a small coal loading area
-I also have no preference over an on or off layout yard so plans for both scenarios would be interesting to see.

The rest i'll leave up to your minds to put together as you see fit, use what you want from what i've given in the way of details but don't feel constricted by them, you don't necessarily need to use all of the points i've made, but many many many Kudos to he who works most or all of into a plan in some way.
As for my own mind, i haven't been able to come up with anything satisfying.

Thanks all for any insight/advice you can provide to help me on my journey and to those who put pen/pencil to paper and/or mouse to screen for track-planning, a special thanks to you (all) in advance.

Many thanks!!

-Cody Fisher
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: Ideas for revamping my HCD layout?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »
Well depends on your funds. Looks like you are running smaller stuff and not anything bigger than 50 foot cars. You can keep the current door. You can upgrade to a 36" x 80" and do say 16.25 radius curves with the C55 and that will give you some nice curves and leave some room between track and edge of door. Staging is a must. What are you trying to do for operation and locale?
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
For operation, mostly some switching to a couple industries in and/or outside of town(s) with trains being no longer than 10 cars.
As for locale it'd mostly be the Appalachian foots hills in Pennsylvania that way there are possibilities for my 5 kadee 33' rib side hoppers to be used for coal service.

Hopefully that goes along with what your looking for

-Cody F.
Tired.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of interest shown here, especially from the many track-planning wizards and gurus (i'm sure you know who you are).

If there is something that isn't sparking your interests or is possibly seen as restrictions of some sort, do bring them into the light. I'd love to hear/see any suggestions/ideas you might have for some interesting plans for a new layout.

Thanks all!

-Cody F.
Tired.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »
I would argue for a 36" wide door.  The moment you want to run large wheelbase steam, 6 axle diesels, or passenger cars of any kind, you will want broader curves.

Pennsy on an HCD?  Can't be done!   :trollface:

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
Given the coal theme, this HCD plan might be a good starting point:

The fuel oil facility, lower left, can become an interchange instead.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »
I would argue for a 36" wide door.  The moment you want to run large wheelbase steam, 6 axle diesels, or passenger cars of any kind, you will want broader curves.

Pennsy on an HCD?  Can't be done!   :trollface:

Challenge Accepted!  :D

Once i figure out how to get my 1990s F3s DCC fitted  :?, then things will begin to look up in terms of motive power.

Given the coal theme, this HCD plan might be a good starting point:

The fuel oil facility, lower left, can become an interchange instead.

Quite the starting point indeed. I see potential forming.
I'll keep it in mind as right now i'm remaining very open to any and all possibilities.

-Cody F.
Tired.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
DKS,

I have always liked that plan ever since I first saw it on your website under your Z scale trackplans.  I am glad to see you have modified it to N scale and a HCD.  Well played.  The branchline with the coal mine is not unlike what I am doing on my Seaboard Central HCD layout for the Aberdeen & Rockfish RR interchange.  The grade will add interest and, if scenicked properly, will make the layout feel much larger.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
Once i figure out how to get my 1990s F3s DCC fitted  :?, then things will begin to look up in terms of motive power.

Send them to The Railwire's very own Lee Weldon (wm3798).  He'll decoderize 'em for you.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »
Send them to The Railwire's very own Lee Weldon (wm3798).  He'll decoderize 'em for you.

DFF

Does he do milling of the frame halves and is it free?

-Cody F.
Tired.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »
That is a pretty snazzy layout for a HCD.  It breaks up the typical oval nicely and there is lots of operational potential.  The scenic elements are also very good.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »
Cody,

Why is DCC one of your requirements if your motive power isn't decoder equipped? Your question about whether decoder installation is free suggest that you are working within a tight budget. There is a cost to install decoders, both for the electronics and the labor. You could very easily run most HCD layouts with DC. Going with DC would likely be a cost savings.

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:42:40 PM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »
Cody,

Why is DCC one of your requirements if your motive power isn't decoder equipped? Your question about whether decoder installation is free suggest that you are working within a tight budget. There is a cost to install decoders, both for the electronics and the labor. You could very easily run most HCD layouts with DC. Going with DC would likely be a cost savings.

Best wishes, Dave

DCC is a requirement because the N-Trak club i belong to uses Digitrax DCC for %98 of the shows/events we do. Plus its the only 1940s/50s correct motive power i own and all my rolling stock is for the 40s-50s era.

Plus i dare not go into the store about by $150 dust collector that is my Graham Farish, BR Class 04.

-Cody F.
Tired.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »
Thanks Cody. That makes sense. DCC seemed like overkill for the HCD layout.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »
Here is a design I had thought of doing based on the MRR Virginian project layout on a HCD for N-scale:

You could use the bottom left where I have a lumber yard as an interchange or run off staging at the bottom right like the MRR plan did,

Phil
- Phil