Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/19/12  (Read 9439 times)

Coxy

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
    • Coxy's N Scale and Railroading Blog
Re: Weekend Update 8/19/12
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
Speed-matched a handful of units and swore at the Digitrax documentation. They need some help, I wish they knew it.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »
ARR APU Spur 2x12 goes here:

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
Mark, your snow scenes are excellent.  Brings on a chill each time I see one.

Progress continues on the AC&Y Ph III H16-44 detailing

An all day rain today in central NC meant all day scenery work.  After the corn planting caper I've had enough of crops for awhile.  Here's the cow pasture.  No cows yet.

At the Spencer east switch I filled in the tree line and added the split rail fence and static grass

Steve

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
Man that scenery is top notch. :o Also like that tank car who makes that one?

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 09:41:09 PM »
Man that scenery is top notch. :o Also like that tank car who makes that one?

Thanks.  As for the tank car:  Wellll, I made it.  It's a kitbash using two of the old Atlas 1G tank bodies. 

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »
Picked the both of these up on ebay. Both powered Stewart/Katos for about $55 for the pair

I bought them for the drives, still undecided wether to strip them and use them for BN units or just sell the shells...
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

davidgray1974

• Crew
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 11:11:52 PM »
Well didn't get much done to the layout this weekend due to having family over.   I did however manage to prep about 80 trees that will find their way on the layout by the end of next week.  I also purchased some halogen clamp on fixtures for the layout.  They regularly sell for around $120.00 but saw them on the bay for $20 a piece.  Couldn't pass up the deal.  They are Tech Lighting 50W halogen clamp on display lights.  I purchased 7 in total.  The bulbs I currently have in the fixtures were purchased at Home Depot but they're only 3000 kelvin and I'm not sure what flood angle they are.  I purchased online a box of EiKO 18003 SoLux True Daylight Flood 50 Watt MR16 Halogen Lamp, 36 Degree Beam Angle, 12 Volt, 4700 Kelvin bulbs.  Hoping they will have more of a natural light effect than what is currently being produced on my layout.  Will post comparison pictures once the new bulbs come in the mail.  In the meantime, here are a few pictures of the layout with the new fixtures.  Will also look at building some kind of frame to secure the fixtures to.  Not sure if I'm too keen on keeping them on the back drop.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:14:20 PM by davidgray1974 »

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 11:14:51 PM »
This week and weekend was spent running trains to shake out any issues.  I also partially rebuilt one curve to get a slightly wider radius.  It measured out to around 17-18" now - the tightest curve on the railroad.  Frankly I hated the way really long cars looked even on 24" and I am starting to wonder if I should stick almost entirely to shorter cars.  In intermodal this is really easy.  I don't have auto parts traffic on this line, and this leaves cars like autoracks and the coming BLMA pipe flats as question marks. 

I am thinking about lengthening one passing siding and adding a spur in the mountains as a "hotbox siding" or place for MOW crews to duck into...

Everything is running very well - derailment free - I continue to admire the bulletproof nature of Peco Code 55....

- Lou

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
I spent the weekend a the Concord, NH show. There was a pretty good turnout the day of the show despite it being sunny, in the low 80's and no humidity. The Simonds Industrial Branch 2.0 ran pretty well for its first show. It was the only N layout there and there were lots of comments on how long the trains were.... oddly I thought they were pretty short. The JMRI server ran flawlessly all day.

I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
No modeling this weekend, Between CNA School, Work, Child Custody battle, and life, I haven't had ANY train time.

On other fronts, I am thinking about doing a HCD 2 scene layout, one side being a logging loadout, the other being a portion of the mill, and trying to do a twice around "Main line" large enough to let me run my bigger locos. the track plan is in my head, gotta get it on paper now.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 08:07:49 PM »
No modeling this weekend, Between CNA School, Work, Child Custody battle, and life, I haven't had ANY train time.

On other fronts, I am thinking about doing a HCD 2 scene layout, one side being a logging loadout, the other being a portion of the mill, and trying to do a twice around "Main line" large enough to let me run my bigger locos. the track plan is in my head, gotta get it on paper now.

What size door are your using? And if you don't mind, share your plan when you get it penciled out. I'd love some ideas for my own HCD layout since no one seems to be having any ideas... especially with all the great track-planners here...

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
I went down to Metairie (New Orleans suburb) Friday for my wife's birthday, and we came back home Saturday. All I managed to do was put A-Line lead weights in three Intermountain reefer kits Saturday evening. Woo hoo.

Hmm... I painted my
treehouse and added a
division point yard to my
Borneo & Sumatra RR...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 05:24:01 AM »
If there is interest, and I get the longer video of the full run across the line working, I will try and post it next weekend.

md

There's interest!  The shed turned out great, and I love the Kootenay soundtrack.  :)

Oy yeah, I also got this really awesome Blue-Ray Tehachapi DVD.    A must for Tehachapi foamers!

Ed

I have to get a Blu-ray player...

This was my last week of summer holidays before returning to work next week.    I was determined to get as much done as possible.

I feel exactly the same way!  I too have been laying more track and running bus lines and feeders.  My goal is to have a closed loop on the upper deck before the term starts. 

-gfh

P.S. I took delivery of 4 Atlas steel coil cars from Chuck today.  Holy Cow they are sweet!  Well done Atlas!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:27:01 AM by GaryHinshaw »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 06:19:55 AM »
Late report, but it was still weekend work. Got a good start on the Lewistown station bash for Dr. V (https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=18915.msg276275#new).

Two Cornerstone Water Street Terminals got sliced and diced to make the main walls. Just need to open up some of the windows to make doors, add the roof, and paint her up.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 07:11:44 AM »
I'm still amazed at your resourcefulness...  I looked at my own Water Street Terminal kit, and while I can see where your parts are coming from, I never would have "seen" Lewistown station in the kit by itself.

Amazing how quickly you've gotten the "look" from a kit never meant to be that.  I think every a$$hat who's chased through Lewistown will instantly recognize it even in this early stage.

Many thanks to you fine sir.