Author Topic: Brick sheet?  (Read 8700 times)

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
Brick sheet?
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »
OK, I'm getting ready to make my first attempts at scratchbuilding. But ... what the hell is the best choice for brick-pattern styrene sheet? From what I've read online, it seems like there are problems with the most commonly available products (from N Scale Architect and Plastruct). And I don't have a LHS where I can compare products.

So what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Jim

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5519
Re: Brick sheet?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »
What are the problems?

I made this from N scale Arch Z/N brick sheet:

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »
I bought some brick sheet from Plastruct recently. When I got it home, I looked at it under a magnifier. Never again. The brick has full sized brick in one row, then the next row is ALL half-sized brick, then another row of full-sized brick, and so on. Looks awful.

Hmm... Kiz needs to
look in a mirror...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »
RSLaser offers brick as well, made from wood sheets...
http://www.rslaserkits.com/N-Details.html

Monster Model & Laserworks also offers brick and other details made from wood...
http://www.monstermodelworks.com/

I have seen the N-scale Architech's bricks on several of their structures and have to say that they are very nice.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:53:06 PM »
This is the Plastruct brick sheet, up close and personal. Looks more like Morse Code.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »
Ratio Plastic Models (a UK company) makes really nice brick sheets. Only drawback (aside from being hard to find) is that the sheets are only 3" wide by 3.5" high.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
I bought some brick sheet from Plastruct recently. When I got it home, I looked at it under a magnifier. Never again. The brick has full sized brick in one row, then the next row is ALL half-sized brick, then another row of full-sized brick, and so on. Looks awful.

Hmm... Kiz needs to
look in a mirror...

+1.  All I use if for are brick platforms or paving....and I am having a hard time using it up!
Regards,
Paul

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
I made this from N scale Arch Z/N brick sheet:

Looks great, Chris. Excellent work! But I see that MBK lists an HO/N scale sheet from N Scale Architect, but no N/Z sheet. And N Scale Architect has seperate item numbers for its N and Z scale brick sheets. So ... are these all the same product? If not, any idea just what size the bricks are in N scale?

You know, the scale certainly looks more than acceptable in your photo. So maybe the actual scale size is trivial.

Thanks for the examples, everyone. Extremely helpful.

Jim

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
I ordered directly from the N Scale Architect site. I made a mistake and got the HO/N brick, and it was way too big for N. They gladly replaced it with the N/Z brick and shipped the replacement for free. This was a couple of years ago and they may have changed items but the N or N/Z should work for you.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »
So DKS, when you gonna come out with some outstanding brick sheet for all of us?

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 09:10:21 PM »
JTT makes very nice brick sheets for both N (.7mm spacing) and TT (1.1 mm spacing).  Its only $5 for two 7.5"X12" sheets.  Their website is www.sceneryproducts.com  The sheets are not listed directly on their website, but if you download their catalog, its on page 27.

Daryl

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +329

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:15 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for posting that link. I ordered some similar material on eBay a couple of years ago from a Chinese supplier. I found it to be a bit harder and tougher than "normal" and it didn't score and snap as easily. Have you had this issue?

I was pleased with the look but a bit disappointed with the working properties. Hard to say if this stuff is really ABS or something else. I take the claims of material properties with a large grain of salt in these kinds of adds.

Best wishes, Dave

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:05:17 PM »
I picked up some Kibri brick sheet a few years ago at MBK, but it seems unavailable stateside at the moment.

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »
JTT makes very nice brick sheets for both N (.7mm spacing) and TT (1.1 mm spacing).  Its only $5 for two 7.5"X12" sheets.  Their website is www.sceneryproducts.com  The sheets are not listed directly on their website, but if you download their catalog, its on page 27.

Daryl

http://www.miniaturetree.com/viewproduct.asp

I've used their TT scale brick, I wasn't aware they made N scale brick.
I’m not here to argue