Author Topic: RTR Steam  (Read 3741 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: RTR Steam
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »
If the rumors are true about the FEF by Kato then I highly suspect that it will be based on the delicate but fine-looking and smooth-running GS-4 mechanicals. I don't see a reason Kato would tool up all new parts for an engine which has very similar running gear.  But then again, Kato sometimes does the unexpected.
. . . 42 . . .

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
I Just cant decide what to buy.The Cab Forward is looking like the looser and the Big Boy. 3 steam engine  might be the limit.

1 challenger & two Kato's.I hope Kato comes through

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »
I doubt Kato re-uses the GS-4 mech. There is too much that needs to be changed to make an FEF. About the only thing that would stay the same would be the motor cradle. There are chunks of metal that would need to be removed from the main frame that are hidden by the skirting on the GS-4. That means a new frame. The drivers would need to be different, valve gear, etc. etc.

Kato historically starts with a clean slate with most everything they do anyhow. The only company that I have seen really take advantage of re-using mechanism parts is Model Power.
Tony Hines

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1261
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »
Well...MY mind's made up!  My son and I have pre-ordered two 3700 class Challengers and two Big Boys (to add to the existing stable of Challengers and Big Boys we already have), and if the Kato FEF-3 rumor becomes reality, and if they're offered, I'll order at least two (maybe more if the TTG scheme is available) and I'm sure my son will order at least a couple.

My son's mostly an SP fanatic, but unfortunately, the AC-12's didn't run to Ogden, or he'd have several of them in addition to his U.P. stuff.

I'm with you Otto as to the TTG scheme.  I've got a night photo of the 844 in TTG double heading with the 833 (in black), pulling out of Ogden Union Station in 1953 or 1954.  They're pulling a mail train with only a coach and sleeper on the back, and about a dozen different mail/baggage cars.  I'm gonna love running that east bound through Echo and Weber Canyons!

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +460
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 02:38:32 AM »
Well...MY mind's made up!  My son and I have pre-ordered two 3700 class Challengers and two Big Boys (to add to the existing stable of Challengers and Big Boys we already have), and if the Kato FEF-3 rumor becomes reality, and if they're offered, I'll order at least two (maybe more if the TTG scheme is available) and I'm sure my son will order at least a couple.

My son's mostly an SP fanatic, but unfortunately, the AC-12's didn't run to Ogden, or he'd have several of them in addition to his U.P. stuff.

I'm with you Otto as to the TTG scheme.  I've got a night photo of the 844 in TTG double heading with the 833 (in black), pulling out of Ogden Union Station in 1953 or 1954.  They're pulling a mail train with only a coach and sleeper on the back, and about a dozen different mail/baggage cars.  I'm gonna love running that east bound through Echo and Weber Canyons!

Jebus dude! How much that run you? Must be nice to eat lobster every night!  :trollface:
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1261
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 03:29:37 AM »
Jebus dude! How much that run you? Must be nice to eat lobster every night!  :trollface:

Hahaha...Beans and rice, rice and beans every night, that's how I can afford a stable of Big Boys and Challengers.  Also, mercilessly selling off 30 years of accumulated post 1956 rolling stock, brass and motive power.  Some of the brass was a very good investment indeed!  Several thousand Micro Trains cars sold at train shows and on eBay also helped.  Buy ten a month (sometimes less, sometimes more) for 30 years...it adds up.

Gotta say that although my stable of cars and engines is a lot smaller than it used to be, everything I have now is for running...not sitting in boxes on shelves like it was two years ago.

Also, now that I only buy cars and engines that ran between Ogden and Green River between 1950 and 1956 on the U.P. mainline, there are lots of cars and engines that I like to look at, but I don't buy them.  Saves me money for when the items I really want and that fit my era, and location come on the market.

I suppose being single and having grown kids also helps...and good automobiles that are both 18 years old!  1994 was a very good year. My old red Suburban has in excess of 367,000 miles on it and still doesn't burn oil!

There ya go! Now everybody knows how to optimize your purchases...live a cloistered, monastic life, and narrow your model railroad vision to a specific era and location...oh, and hand lay every turnout you've ever used on a module or layout.  Easy.  :D

Pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 03:42:12 PM »
another western train, boo. More eastern roads ae what are needed.

And I'm still waiting for Kato's K4 for my Broadway.

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
another western train, boo. More eastern roads ae what are needed.

Maybe one should learn to kitbash? you can come across everything you need for a K4 bash. Hell you even have a chassis! That more than some of us "westerners"  can even come across for the things we need to build.
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 09:33:20 PM »
Maybe one should learn to kitbash? you can come across everything you need for a K4 bash. Hell you even have a chassis! That more than some of us "westerners"  can even come across for the things we need to build.

am not disagreeing, just want to know...

what steam locos are you finding a struggle?

a k-4 is do-able.... there are other PRR steam locos that are a good deal harder.

victor

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »

Extremely doubtful that Kato would do the K4, since the 1949 version of the Broadway (which is the one Kato did) was never pulled by K4s.

Mark

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »
Don't Forget that Dapol is making a new class 57xx (0-6-0PT) that will be DCC ready to accept a standard decoder with NEM 6-pin alignment.
I myself am pre-ordering one, and hopefully it will be here before the Greenberg show in Edison, NJ on thanksgiving weekend. I'm going to need it to operate my N-Trak module.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.