Author Topic: ExactRail wheel announcement (video)  (Read 5084 times)

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
ExactRail wheel announcement (video)
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:17:24 PM »
/>

US made , excellent.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: ExactRail wheel announcement (video)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »
Wow... those are pretty. Gorgeous wheel profile. However, I sorta kinda suspect what was being shown was HO. I'll want to see N versions before any thumbs-up are to be given. Also, this is "price-sensitive" territory, for those of us with dozens... even hundreds of cars to be upgraded.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:05:58 PM »
So all we need to do is go back in time 5 years and this would be relevant...

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
Yeah, come to think of it you're right. Horses are sort of already out of the barn on this one. I've already converted 300+ cars to Fox Valley and have enough wheelsets for another 150 or so. C'est la vie!

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
Of course BLMA has had wheelsets like that for over a year, IIRC...I'll stay with Craig, thank you very much...
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »
So the only real difference is the stuff no one can really see unless you're laying between the rails.

:D
The S.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:01:29 PM »
Good news for tanks cars.

Jason

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »
Actually, the real difference is that you can get the FVM and the BLMA ones in stores...

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 03:17:13 PM »
Actually, the real difference is that you can get the FVM and the BLMA ones in stores...

Great point! 

Eric

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »

+1

Staying with BLMA. Craig has never done me wrong!
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »
Own both FVM (bulk packs are great/just what many people need) and BLMA (excellent wheels)

However without knowing anything so far about these wheelsets except the above video ...when I shop, say three similar products are available; the first is made overseas, the second is either manu or assembled/designed etc in the US but not both and the third is entirely made/assembled in the US...well I will lean towards the third unless there is some compelling reason to not choose it, then I would try to choose the second. This is opinion.

I can guarantee I am very much less 'flag waving' than most, however simple economics dictate if you really want things to get better in an economy (Local/Regional/National) you keep the currency inside changing hands as long as possible.

As a business owner involved in services and many partnering agreements; I have operated inside/part of sales channels and well as dealing with sales channels (however not manu...service), there are many pros and cons to both sides. Dealer channels/partners can be great for expanding revenue, especially for service where there is no warehousing and overhead/cost is spanned across 'the monolith' and not directly tied to physical tangibles/items as is manu. Again this is opinion based on my personal experience.

To tie into my economists 101 statement above, I try to support not only local first but the little guy as well. Not all of us live in a zip code with great hobby stores who stock large amounts of N Scale at great prices…so buying online is often the process already. I would prefer buying any product through a ‘small vendor/dealer/store’ who employees people who in turn spend currency to help their local/national economy…buying direct from a small US company is a good second choice in my opinion.

It does seem trendy here to bash ER, dropping the dealer network was not preferred; but if it’s that or they do not exist I would much rather get their products, which I like.  Also having multiple vendors doing quality work in N scale is something as a consumer of such I desire.…yet again, this is opinion…based on observation.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:51:23 PM by pfs »

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »
They look like a nice product, and notwithstanding others in the market, I think it is great that the industry keeps moving towards realistic wheels.

Another great day for n-scale  :D

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »
IMO there are but two relevant points to ER entering this niche: supply consistency, and price. Both Matt and Craig have had problems keeping their pipelines filled, bless 'em. If the ER wheels are available in bulk packs at a price closer to FVM than BLMA, then sign me up; I do like the USA-made aspect but like pfs don't thump it. The strong suit here is the in-house production, where just-in-time production and delivery actually has the potential of being just-in-time, and everybody isn't sitting on their hands for two months to get their turn on the production line and then another 4-5 weeks for a container to ship and clear customs to replenish stock.

I couldn't possibly care less about the LHS aspect. I've only once been able to buy FVM wheels at a hobby shop. I cruise the online shops nearly daily, and when they announce a shipment arrival, I pounce, even if that's the entire order. The availability consistency has even been a problem at Matt's own store. Nothing like walking into Des Plaines Hobbies on multiple occasions and encountering a big empty where the wheels hang.

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

Amen! They can keep their wheels, their WRONG Waffle Boxes AND as much as it will hurt like haedes.....they can keep their 4427's too. Oh sorry! Wheels. WELL, it would be hard to beat Craig and Matt and I seriously doubt they can, so why send them money when you can get what you need at the LHS.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »
Well its something to add to the cart when shopping at Exactrail. I'm waiting on some new freight cars at BLMA to do the same. I have over 800 cars, most with MTL lo-pros. It will take a lot of wheelsets to convert everything over. Certainly enough for all three companies.

If these are priced better than FVM and BLMA, my money will gravatate to the American made products.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away