Author Topic: True Line to release "mini box"  (Read 7915 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: True Line to release "mini box"
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »
The Briggs Models kit goes together in an evening or two and yields a great looking model with its finely cast and etched parts:

No disrespect to TLT but it would be achieve the same level of scale appearance with an injection-molded model, and with this particular car, any oversize parts or excessive ride height would be even more apparent.  That being said, I fully realize that there is a significant portion of the market who would rather buy RTR than build, paint and decal a kit.

Ditto for the slab sides - I would have been in for a bunch were they delivered as originally suggested and if they were done as well as the latest run of newsprint cars, but having completed seven of the Gooderham cars, I would have to evaluate the cost of replacing them with RTR models:

I wish TLT well with their stated projects, and I am very happy with my newsprint cars:

In addition to any potential releases from Rapido/Prairie Shadows and TLT, we can also look forward to one or two new Canadian freight cars from NARC in the next several years.  Their rotary gondolas have been very well received.  Kudos to the Canadian manufacturers/distributors!

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
What I don't understand is where money is being saved by not releasing the product if the models already are tooled (as it appears to be the case with the outside-post newsprint boxcar).  The larger expense is in the tooling, and that can't be recouped unless the model is produced.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »
What I don't understand is where money is being saved by not releasing the product if the models already are tooled (as it appears to be the case with the outside-post newsprint boxcar).  The larger expense is in the tooling, and that can't be recouped unless the model is produced.

At this stage it's just R&D isn't it?  There's probably some sort of credit available.

Jason

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
So when Briggs states with decals for the minis, is it talking only about the Spans the World decals, or are there decal options, like the block lettering I'd prefer?

BTW, the word from MBK is it will carry the TLT minis, gons, and bulkheads but they have no idea from TLT as to when that will be.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:25:57 PM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 12:14:59 AM »
So when Briggs states with decals for the minis, is it talking only about the Spans the World decals, or are there decal options, like the block lettering I'd prefer?

That is a good question.  I can ask Jeff for you.  I would have thought that the block lettering would be available from one or more decal suppliers.  I know CDS did it.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »
I'd be happy to support the newsprint boxcar - if I knew where to pre-order.

Here's some info directly from the TrainLine web-site -

Where can I find a dealer?
Our products are sold through Hobbycraft, Portman, Puce Creek, and Walthers distributors. So any dealer should have ready access to our products.

If you're having trouble finding our models, let us know. We'll work with your local hobby shop, or help you find one that has what you're looking for.

Since most dealers purchase our products through distributors, we don't know who has what in stock. But we can tell you who receives our newsletter. They should be up-to-date with TLT happenings.

View list of confirmed dealers
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?chrome=false&key=0AtDPBswV5uagdE9uR2NVLU9XdVdYN05zMEZCZVMyT2c&output=html&pubredirect=true&widget=true

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
That is a good question.  I can ask Jeff for you.  I would have thought that the block lettering would be available from one or more decal suppliers.  I know CDS did it.

Knowing would be a great thing.  And I get that decals are available from other sources.  But saving $6-$7 by buying a car that has the preferred graphics is always appreciated over the extra cost and effort.  And TLT is, at some point, going to offer the block lettering scheme if Briggs doesn't already.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 10:56:32 AM »
Here's some info directly from the TrainLine web-site -

Where can I find a dealer?
Our products are sold through Hobbycraft, Portman, Puce Creek, and Walthers distributors. So any dealer should have ready access to our products.
>

While that looks simple on paper, those distributors still have to take case quantities and not all will if they don't think it will sell.

Jason

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
While that looks simple on paper, those distributors still have to take case quantities and not all will if they don't think it will sell.

Jason

Yabutt - if you had taken the effort to check out the link at the bottom of my post you would have seen there are 57 HOBBY SHOPS around the world that sell TrainLine products and I am sure they won't have to take case lot quantities to have some to sell !!!

Walthers distributors may have to take case lots, the hobby shops buying from those distributors do not - hence one of the reason for having distributors.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »

Walthers distributors may have to take case lots, the hobby shops buying from those distributors do not - hence one of the reason for having distributors.

If your under the idea that there's no way as distributor won't/can't buy at least a case of something, you're mistaken. 

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 12:00:42 AM »
Ummmm so did these ever get made and where can you buy them?  :?

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »
So did the Soo Line have any of these cars or am I thinking of the 1932 ARA box cars like Atlas has released? Or something similar?

Old question, but soo line had 1932 ARA boxes that they acquired new and they had some rebuilt usra boxes they leased in the 1950s... As far as I know there were no us owners of the miniboxes...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2015, 02:30:36 AM »
Another question:  True Line says that these were still in service in the early 1970s.  However, I can't find any pictures of them in the US, and they would have been over 40 years old by then.  Were they restricted to Canadian service by 1974?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:32:52 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2015, 04:29:33 AM »
True Line has not released these yet in N scale; they have in HO. You would need to contact them for further information. By the 1970's there were precious few in any type of service and fewer still in revenue service. A few survived in company service through the 70's but virtually all were off revenue service by then. I am building one of the Briggs mini box kits in resin right now.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »
True Line has not released these yet in N scale; they have in HO. You would need to contact them for further information. By the 1970's there were precious few in any type of service and fewer still in revenue service. A few survived in company service through the 70's but virtually all were off revenue service by then. I am building one of the Briggs mini box kits in resin right now.

Well, I sent True Line an inquiry, see if I hear back. These are sure distinctive, especially when mixed in with other house cars, and they got around, like the slogan says.... Here's one on the UP, somewhere in Utah I'd guess.
Otto K. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]