Author Topic: Improve electric pickup in Atlas GP with TCS CN-GP decoders  (Read 1367 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
Improve electric pickup in Atlas GP with TCS CN-GP decoders
« on: February 10, 2013, 04:57:43 PM »
I have two Atlas GP 7/9 units that have the CN-GP decoders in them.  Neither one runs very consistently.  I have cleaned the track (other engines run great with drop in decoders) , I cleaned the wheels on the Atlas units, and I'm thinking the problem is between the trucks and contact wipes.  Any suggestions to improve the pickup ?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Improve electric pickup in Atlas GP with TCS CN-GP decoders
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
Yes,
polish the heck out of them.

On the truck side I use a 4-grit fingernail polishing stick to get the top of the metal nubs polished. For the final polishing I use a paste polish (I use Top Brite brand) and some cotton cloth.  I also remove the flat pickup springs from the chassis and using the paste polish and cotton cloth I polish the surfaces which contact the truck nubs. No need to use the 4-grit sticks on those flat springs.

I think that improves the electrical contact, and the polishing paste also protects the metal surfaces from oxidizing.
. . . 42 . . .

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
Re: Improve electric pickup in Atlas GP with TCS CN-GP decoders
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
Also clean the contact cups that ride on the axle points. Its one of the missed opportunities to clean an engine properly and get better operation.

The S.