Author Topic: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC  (Read 16397 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
0
Ooooooookaaaaaay... I guess I'll allow that maybe the EWES's instant per diem pig flat fleet was more of a factor in the East. ...

That is correct.  Big presence in the mid-Atlantic states.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


towl1996

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 819
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +186
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »
0


I think I just might put my ideas back on the list...

Which reminds me... the first one I was going to do was a utility-pole-mounted light. You know, the kind you see everywhere?

Source: http://streetlights.tripod.com/fixtures/index.html

Glad your still open to the idea. Yeah, Atlas way over engineered those lights. I would like to see a simple lighted PRR style goose neck lamp that could be used on any town street or on a railroad station platform.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

mike in bc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 67
  • Respect: 0
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 01:05:25 PM »
0
So if i have got this right people are now complaining that things a too well built :facepalm:
mike

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 01:12:14 PM »
0
So if i have got this right people are now complaining that things a too well built :facepalm:
mike

It is possible. You know the old saying, "Built like a brick sh!thouse." Don't get me wrong, I think they did a really fine job; it's simply overkill in a major way.

See: http://www.telovation.com/articles/better-mousetrap.html

Besides, I would not want to be the one assigned to installing a dozen of those things in a town located along the back of a low layout. Think about all the work you need to do from underneath. And to get it right, it's actually a two-person operation, since someone needs to be topside holding the thing in the correct orientation, while someone else is on a creeper trying to thread the spacer and nut back over the wires and up onto the threaded part. Worse, what's a modeler to do if he has 4 inches of foam under his town?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:24:22 PM by David K. Smith »

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3531
  • Respect: +391
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »
0
I have said it before, been yelled at by others for saying it before.  Atlas and the MSRP on their engines are a joke.  Others are bringing out new and or revamped engines with a lower price point.  Not just the same old crap with new numbers or new paint!!  Very disappointing.  I just bought two IM FT sets, one for $162 and a second set for $128.  That is two engines for the same price as one Atlas.  With the questions on the lights and how many are in a package for the price I don't think my opinions are too out there.  I think/hope Atlas is moving the right direction to improve their position.....
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »
0
I think the bases are supposed to be hidden when installed.

I took a double take at the price as well.  I think Atlas should post this pic on the main lamps page.



Not hard to see $27 there.

Jason

I agree that there is $27 worth of bits there but there really is no need for there to be. I'm not sure I like putting the resistor on the end of the wire. I know there will be customers that in the effort to shorten up and clean up wiring, will cut that off and forget it. I also think they may be tough to mount in a 2" foam base but that is hard to tell without measurements. The other issus is if you are not mounting in a thick base, you have 2-3" hanging below the layout which in my case may be a problem, there is a helix hiding under the city scene that leaves no room for anything sticking down.

Neat idea but I agree with others, overkill which leads to the high price. A simple plastic socket which could be glued in would suffice and cut the cost considerably.
Tony Hines

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
0


Jason

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027

rswinnerton

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1313
  • Gender: Male
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »
0
Atlas obviously wanted to make them as robust and fool-proof as possible. However... I think they went a tad overboard. It can certainly be done for less, assuming one didn't mind getting rid of the thumbscrew nut and "self-leveling spacer" and all that other hardware... how about a pole with just a base and two wires; drill hole, insert wires in hole, apply a dab of glue. Done.

I think I just might put my ideas back on the list...

Which reminds me... the first one I was going to do was a utility-pole-mounted light. You know, the kind you see everywhere?



Source: http://streetlights.tripod.com/fixtures/index.html

Id like powered ones. They'd add a LOT to dusk or night time ops sessions. Take Lee's Hard Hat model for instance.

Maybe a lighted and unlighted version with a micro LED in the lit one?
Thanks!
Russ
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

jsoflo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 218
  • Respect: +23
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2012, 07:44:18 PM »
0
Glad your still open to the idea. Yeah, Atlas way over engineered those lights. I would like to see a simple lighted PRR style goose neck lamp that could be used on any town street or on a railroad station platform.

Which means the lights are the opposite of the SD60 which has always been a problem loco....possibly under-engineered? So this release balances the product line out you see.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 08:28:41 PM »
0
Id like powered ones. They'd add a LOT to dusk or night time ops sessions. Take Lee's Hard Hat model for instance.

Maybe a lighted and unlighted version with a micro LED in the lit one?
Thanks!
Russ

I'd most certainly do the lighted kind, with (probably) a cool white 0603 LED in the head to simulate mercury lights. Additionally, for earlier layouts, I'd do an incandescent version with a shade, using warm white LEDs to simulate tungsten lamps.

Also on my list is a security/parking lot floodlight, offered in two types: mercury (cool white) and sodium (warm white with some orange filtering to get the right color).

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »
0
If nothing else, Atlas just created a huge market for $10-15 street lights.   8)

Hopefully there will some sort of exploded diagram because I'm having a hard time seeing how you would put one of these into a sidewalk (I haven't seen that the post separates from the base).

Jason

pwnj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 402
  • Gender: Male
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: Atlas announced the LED street lights today, and SD60, and TOFC
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
0
I'd most certainly do the lighted kind, with (probably) a cool white 0603 LED in the head to simulate mercury lights. Additionally, for earlier layouts, I'd do an incandescent version with a shade, using warm white LEDs to simulate tungsten lamps.

Also on my list is a security/parking lot floodlight, offered in two types: mercury (cool white) and sodium (warm white with some orange filtering to get the right color).

Awesome!  Can't do a proper railyard from most of my lifetime without the "crime lights". 

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12297
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11811