Author Topic: Coal tipple track design help wanted  (Read 7388 times)

conrailthomas519

• Crew
  • Spokane Valley & Southern Railroad (SVS) / BNSF
  • Respect: +7
Re: Coal tipple track design help wanted
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »
Much better location of the mine. I do have this question? It appears you placed the turnouts at the very end. How do you intend to utilize them? If your trying to utilize them as a runround, I would recommend moving the turnouts inward towards the mine on the oneside closest to that doorway. By doing this it Makes room for a spur track.  Make it long enough to handle the locomotives(power).
TMM

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »
Good eye Thomas and thankyou.I plan on adding 20" of table this week to the end.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +575
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
I think this is a better arrangement too, though I agree with Thomas' comment.  Another thing to consider is whether you can switch the tipple without fouling the main (if traffic levels make that a problem).  Since you're using Unitrack, you could just go ahead and 'try before you buy', so to speak, i.e., go ahead and try switching it and see how it works.  It looks to me like you could shorten the tipple tracks at either or both ends a little without compromising the scale of the operation too much.  An extra 20" won't hurt either.   :)

Flagler

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
I added a few more tracks so the area will hold aprox 90 cars if needed for only storage not for operations.
I started to work on the creative scenery aspect of the area also

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 09:31:32 AM »
Is that a 4% grade in the background?  I spun my wheels enough on mine that I tore it out...

Flagler

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
Is that a 4% grade in the background?  I spun my wheels enough on mine that I tore it out...

No its not a 4% Grade,Its a 2% Grade

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
OK, that incline length was deceiving to me.  I like the track design, by the way!

conrailthomas519

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »
Much better!! Definetly Improves your mine scene.
TMM

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +575
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
Well, since you're posting to ask for opinions... here are a few more.  The overall lines in the scene look pretty good but how does the new line on the grade fit into the rest of the plan?  Will the track on the bridge continue anywhere (even virtually)?  Also, do you envision the bridge crossing anything besides the stub of the coal yard?  If not, I think it looks a bit odd, because the prototype would have moved the stub to avoid having to build a bridge.  [But you could always invoke "Ed's Law""  ;)]  I also think you'll be forced to have a long straight retaining wall along the rear track that will look a bit model railroady.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's something to consider.

I hope my nitpicking doesn't discourage you from posting more.

conrailthomas519

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »
Gary, I was thinking about that wall and the incline myself. I do recall the mentioning of the line going somewheres...... guess we will have to stay tuned to see what he posts next. Once again the scene is improving!
TMM

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
Well, since you're posting to ask for opinions... here are a few more.  The overall lines in the scene look pretty good but how does the new line on the grade fit into the rest of the plan?  Will the track on the bridge continue anywhere (even virtually)?  Also, do you envision the bridge crossing anything besides the stub of the coal yard?  If not, I think it looks a bit odd, because the prototype would have moved the stub to avoid having to build a bridge.  [But you could always invoke "Ed's Law""  ;)]  I also think you'll be forced to have a long straight retaining wall along the rear track that will look a bit model railroady.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's something to consider.

I hope my nitpicking doesn't discourage you from posting more.

A creek along the stub track that the main needed to cross anyhow would be a good excuse for that allignment. Odd things were done to make thing fit deep in the "hollers" of coal country.
Tony Hines

conrailthomas519

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
Why not go with a creek along most of the front edge? That would really give interest and added punch to the scene.
TMM

Flagler

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
A creek along the stub track that the main needed to cross anyhow would be a good excuse for that allignment. Odd things were done to make thing fit deep in the "hollers" of coal country.

that is the plan to inorparate a water feature that runs along in order to justify the curve and the Grade.I just finished removing the double line,so it will be a single line,I want to get rid of that wall look

Flagler

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »
The latest updates

Flagler

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
I would like to move this and rename it so that it can be a hoe to tread that shows the progress.This is what has been done so far.