Author Topic: Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division  (Read 130772 times)

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »
+1
Hello everyone.

Per peer pressure, I thought I'd better introduce my (current) layout to all of you. I usually refer to it as "the layout" - some refer to it as a name less than complimentary  ;). My son suggested the formal name "Heritage Divison" as I explained how I was modeling parts of the original Wisconsin Central mainline. I liked his idea.

I do not yet have a pretty schematic of the layout for you all to look at. I will work on that later. The concept involves modeling (or simulating, as I call it) part of the Wisconsin Central mainline (as it was) from Neenah to Stevens Point. Since I had some room left, I squeezed in a representation of Wisconsin Rapids as well.

What do I mean by "room left"? Well, that involves the rest of the story. Originally, I thought I was modeling part of "the funnel". That is, Chicago to Fond Du Lac. By the time I had all the benchwork completed, I realized that I was attempting to simulate too much. The little voice in my head told me that I needed to look elsewhere. As a friend and I were railfaning the Neenah to Stevens Point area, the light went on. I decided to place an entirely new track plan on existing benchwork. Yikes! It all worked out fine, but the proof will be realized in operations. You see, one is not supposed to model a division point in the middle of the layout! But this worked well for the existing benchwork.

The layout is simple, if big. It is just a dogbone type plan: single track with passing sidings. My main concerns were to model the places on the prototype that "spoke to" or inspired me. And also include enough industries to make operations interesting. Also important to me was to not crowd the layout with track and include lots of scenery, as much as Central Wisconsin gets that is.

So the result of all this is a two level shelf layout. The concept is very simple, its just that the layout is a bit biggish.

I am luckly enough to be on the layout tours for the Grand Rapids NMRA national convention in late July. Currently therefore, I am working on scenery to cover as much of the track and boards as I can. Its amazing how little I can get done in so much time!  :scared: I have the typical magazine type situation: 12 feet of pretty scenery - the rest is track and boards.

I'll get some pictures up next post...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:58:37 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
Re: Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »
+1
Here are a few pretty pictures of the layout...

Disclaimers:

One: Keep in mind these were taken for the GR convention website and are therefore up close shots that do not show the scope of things. I'll try to get some of those posted after the convention.

Two: I had not discovered the joys of Helicon Focus when these were taken. Forgive me.

Three: Please keep in mind that a lot of these scenes, if not all, are unfinished. Again, forgive me. I promise they will look better - someday...  :scared:

Four: Yah, I know the signals are all wrong for the Soo Line/ Wisconsin Central in this era, but frankly Scarlett... I will replace them with proper searchlight signals someday.

Enjoy...

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:49:05 AM by w neal »
Buffering...

GP38-2freak

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
that's what I like...hope to see more in the future  :)

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
  • Respect: +316
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:14:29 PM »
Already looking good!

Thomas
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
At least you have installed signals . . . and your many water features match my experiences of traveling Wisconsin these last few years to see the win-laws.  Well done!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »
Thats what I'm hoping for. I hope folks who know the area think it looks like central Wisconsin.
Buffering...

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »
Thats what I'm hoping for. I hope folks who know the area think it looks like central Wisconsin.

Yep. Been there, seen that. Very nicely done!

Jim

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »
Looks nice. You need some potato farmers and a couple of signs for Point Beer! Love the WC and was really sad to have it assimilated by the CN Borg.

Best wishes from a cheesehead in exile, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »
Agreed! Wish I had more room around my depiction of Waupaca for a potato field. Hmm, now you got me thinking... As to billboards, we have one for WAPL (the rockin' apple) in Neenah.   :trollface:  Pic to follow...
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:06:51 AM »
Got to work on the Nelsons area of the layout last few days. First, I had to repaint the sky as it needed another coating of paint. Its too bad that I have to use such a thick paint. The sky looks really bad up close.

Zoinks! Five hours to ballast? Spreading it is easy, but shaping it? - that takes time! Two reasons: One: It is very fine ballast. Two: It was about 17 feet of double tracked area with a spur track thrown in. Plus, I am a bit picky on how the ballast should look. Not that I succeed all the time, I just try to see things like I myself am N Scale. I try to knock most of it off the sides of the rails and off the tops of the ties. I guess my average is around 85 - 90% successful on a good day. I plan to go back and chip off the major ballast chunks, repaint the rails, and weather the ties & roadbed. Right now, I just need to get things covered for the NMRA national in 3 weeks! This situation does make for some disgustingly clean mainline ballast though.

After glueing and letting the ballast dry the next day, I spent an afternoon static grassing (Is that a word?). Here is the result with the masking tape still applied to the track. Things might be just a bit "hillier" than the real Nelsons, but I had to add some "hilliness" to cover a bit of the wall as my skyboard material only reaches so far - (Thats another story).

I worry that my scene is too "happy" looking. However the real Nelsons is very grassy with farm fields around as well. The upcoming elevator scene and the application of trees and bushes should deflate the "happiness" of the scene.

I'll get some more pics posted "in future".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:11:34 AM by w neal »
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »
While handy, here is a shot of the Nelsons siding area's "corner" between the two "wings" -  seen earlier. On the bare hill in the background I hope to try my hand at some forced perspective. I'll post more later...

Oh, and here is a shot of Gill's Landing. More work to be done... so little time.

Buffering...

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »
Looks great. Love the shot of Gills Landing and the backdrop looks very nice. It has that hazy summer look. We need a trackplan soon.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 10:06:59 PM »
Big fan, love the openness.

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 01:52:51 AM »
Is there something wrong with me? all of this sounds fantastic but I can't get the pics!
Regards
Tony A

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 06:49:48 AM »
Starting on the Shaky Lake road crossing near Readfield (yes, that is the real road's name). Eh, not the greatest, but its a start. I'm still experimenting with ideas. I will be adding more "backgroundy" items to this scene... I'm not an artist.

Of a better nature is my simulation of the Mill street crossing in Weyauwega. (Yes, the front tower is leaning a bit. It was never the same after that derailment & fire.) I will be adding more here as well...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:51:52 AM by w neal »
Buffering...