Author Topic: Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division  (Read 111066 times)

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
Re: Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division
« Reply #810 on: December 29, 2021, 01:24:32 PM »
+4
Abutment work. Bridge work next.

Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #811 on: December 30, 2021, 06:18:46 PM »
+5
Converting to LED lighting continues. Vive la difference.

Also increased color temps and more lumens. It's brighter and I guess that's good for me.

Old:

New:

Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #812 on: January 02, 2022, 03:06:52 PM »
Looking forward to developing this scene of the Wisconsin River crossing in Stevens Point. Along with the other signature scenes in "Point", I hope I can do it justice. Although the scene won't be very deep, I'm kinda glad it falls this way on the layout. A large power dam spans the river near here and will make a good backdrop. Also, a separate "pipeline bridge" crosses here right next to the railroad's. Fortunately, it'll fall on the far side in this scenario and will be less unphotogenic that way. (Wink wink, nudge nudge) The bad news is I don't own a drone and will have to borrow one to get the background photo I need.

The bridges are a bit of a cop out. In the past few years since roughing in this scene,  Walthers released their version. I tried out one but found that they were longer and would necessitate rebuilding the roadbed. Plus, it's girders were less of a match to the prototype than the ones pictured here. And since I do not own a 3-D printer, I figure these will do. In any case, after viewing this scene without any sort of background for years, its good just to have it lighted and with the beginnings of a backdrop.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 05:00:39 AM by w neal »
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #813 on: January 08, 2022, 04:56:54 AM »
+1
Apparently, the real bridge is nicknamed the black bridge, as it used to be painted black. The silver bridge next to it carries a city water pipe. I'm told this pipe used to be carried on the railroad bridge, but trains kept facilitating cracks to form in it. Here is an overview of the area I borrowed:

You can see the elements I'm going to try to represent. My setting for this scene is only a foot deep, so I'll have to represent the Consolidated paper mill nearby (versus upstream) from the bridge, as can be seen pictured above it. The real bridge spans are longer in real life than my models. Remember, I'm not scale modeling per se. I'm only simulating the real thing. I figure the bridges will at least decently represent the prototype, sorta.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 05:11:51 AM by w neal »
Buffering...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +4414
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #814 on: January 08, 2022, 01:22:40 PM »
I wonder how many "Black Bridges" there are. I know of at least three now off the top of my head.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #815 on: January 08, 2022, 03:36:44 PM »
Abutment work. Bridge work next.

Great to see progress; nice work.
One suggestion: I'd beef up the abutment walls a bit, they look way too thin. Perhaps just along the top?
Looking forward to seeing more. Good lighting makes a huge difference.
Otto K.

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #816 on: January 08, 2022, 04:22:47 PM »
+5
Hear ya. Wall thickness is thin indeed. However, that was a "drone" shot. Most times, it'll be viewed from this sort of angle.

Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #817 on: January 09, 2022, 03:39:16 PM »
+3
The views are more like this; closer to eye level.

Or this:

Oh, and if you're wondering why the pole lines go up in the air and flatten out? They're making their ascent to the tall towers seen above.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 03:52:04 PM by w neal »
Buffering...