Author Topic: Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division  (Read 130781 times)

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
Re: Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »
nice work.  I really like the open Presto Products building.  It adds a lot of interest to an otherwise closed metal building.  You have a nice span of mainline there. 

HuskerN

www.nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com

Thanks Husker! Glad you found me.

I like the "open" building more than I thought I would. Especailly since there is not much going on around there scenery-wise.

I tried to fit in as much mainline running as I could between towns & industries. I hope it is enough to convey "spaciousness". Besides, its fun to watch them roll. Hope crews will feel like they are going someplace.

Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 06:47:45 AM »
Progress report:

Nelsons is looking a little better. I hope to add some lineside poles as soon as I get all those tiny insulators painted!

Please do not look closely at the farm. It was a study in my increasing age to try to hand paint these, especially when they are already attached to the layout! Zoinks! Please only observe these from far away. PLEASE!

Also "mudded in" around the Cellutissue truck parking lot.

I added a background to the soybean field. Not sure I'm happy with the shadows that are cast by my "tree line"...

Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division: A tribute to my friend
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 09:22:01 AM »
The significance of this scene won't make much sense to you so I'll explain. This symbolizes some happy railfaning memories listening to this station & watching WC trains in their heyday on some warm summer & fall evenings. We used to muse that the words "rockin'" & "apple" seemed to clash a bit, especially when the deep - voiced FM announcer said them. But it makes sense as the station is in Appleton, WI. I will relive those memories every time I see this scene. Thanks friend!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:21:12 AM by w neal »
Buffering...

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
Looks great.  My father is going up to Grand Rapids for the convention, I'm hoping he put this layout on his planner.

~ Matt

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »
'Preciate it, but keep in mind that it is only a half "finished" affair. The lower level is all just track and boards, currently. Its the usual magazine situation. Some pretty scenery. Some naked benchwork. Tell dad to check his grand illusions at the door, if the duckunder doesn't get him first!  :)

Tell him I'm on the Tuesday bus tour. Otherwise, I'm open Monday for self guided (car) tours. Hope to see him. There are some fantastic layouts on the "Eastern" tour.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:57:01 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
What are you using for lighting?

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
Re: Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division: A tribute to my friend
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »

I like that scene.  It looks very believable, and the billboard really helps to place the setting as well.  Nothing like a deadline to spur progress, eh?  Good luck with the convention!

-Gary

Rabidchipmoose

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 11:30:38 PM »
Boy, I'm really thinking the billboard is looking righteous.  Definitely taking me to central Wisconsin!   :lol:

w neal

• Crew
Re: Wisconsin Central - Heritage Division: A tribute to my friend
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 07:03:56 AM »
I like that scene.  It looks very believable, and the billboard really helps to place the setting as well.  Nothing like a deadline to spur progress, eh?  Good luck with the convention!

-Gary

Thanks Gary. "Your" photo reminds me why I started all this in the first place. What great combinations of power the WC used to see. Those ore trains really brought in some neat bedfellows.

Yes, the looming deadline has pushed progress on the layout to new levels never before seen! I have taken a bit of a break these last 2 days and it feels very strange to be so idle.

I'm looking forward to playing host for others. I'm not too nervous (yet) as I have hosted for the local NMRA group a few times. I'm more worried about my playroom actually being seen by some of those famous names. The thing is only "half" finished. I need to clean up my lair. It resembles the "mad scientist's lab" a little too much. But it'll all be ok. It all seems to work out and folks are very kind & quite understanding.

Still, !!!!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:33:43 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
What are you using for lighting?

I went all Roman. I use candles up behind the valences. Kinda smokey at times, but it gives all my photos that nice yellow glow. Good thing the fire marshall hates N Scale.

But seriously, just florescents. Nothing fancy. Why?

-------

Boy, I'm really thinking the billboard is looking righteous.  Definitely taking me to central Wisconsin!   :lol:

Thanks for the comments Mr. Moose. Your opinion matters.  :P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:51:53 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »
+2
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
I went all Roman. I use candles up behind the valences. Kinda smokey at times, but it gives all my photos that nice yellow glow. Good thing the fire marshall hates N Scale.

But seriously, just florescents. Nothing fancy. Why?

Was just wondering as I'm lighting my own layout now.

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »
Not much of a progress report:

Added some line poles to the R.O.W. here at Nelsons. It does not look like much, I grant you. They are just Atlas poles that have been trimmed a bit. The real work was in the painting of the poles, "weathering" them, and painting all those tiny insulators: first the green ones, then the second pass for the grey ones. Sounds simple, but it took me nearly three entire movies to finish the project. Yeesh!

Still more to be finished here. I just plunked the grain bins down for a picture - yes, I see the gaps. Dunno how much more I can get done before the layout tour next 2 weeks. More later...?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:02:22 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »
Nice job on those poles!

Are you going to wire them?

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country