Author Topic: Any LARGE Z scale layouts?  (Read 6575 times)

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
Any LARGE Z scale layouts?
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »
Been thinking about dabbling in Z, but one thing that keeps me scratching my head is that the vast majority of Z scale layouts seem to be in the "small" to "incredibly small" category. That's not to knock the incredible efforts of DKS, Chris333 and others that I've seen here and elsewhere on the small layouts and dioramas. They are of course amazing. I just find myself wondering if anyone out there is modeling really big scenery and prototypical-length trains in Z. Or isn't Z scale "there" yet? What's the practical train length that, say, a pair of MTL SD40-2s could pull on straight, level track with broad curves?

Dreaming of long tangents, 36" radius curves and a 100 car grain train pulled by those new C&NW SD40-2s from MTL.

Is anybody doing this kind of thing in Z?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Any LARGE Z scale layouts?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »
Yes, there are a few. There's a huge Z layout in the DC area (don't know the name offhand). Also, Rob Kluz has a basement-sized Z layout.

I know it doesn't count, but it's worth mentioning that there are several Z clubs that build N-Trak-like modules, which can make for some pretty monstrous layouts. Here's a shot of a yard (which has been dubbed the BFY, for Big Freight Yard) that I designed for the BAZ Boyz in San Fran:

The stats for the yard alone are pretty impressive: it measures 3 by 19.5 feet and has 480 feet of track comprised of 787 track sections, 108 switches, and 66 custom-cut pieces. You're looking at 28 parallel tracks down the middle. During the show, it was populated by upwards of a thousand pieces of rolling stock, and reportedly it didn't even look half-full.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:12:55 AM by David K. Smith »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:44:39 AM »
If we ever get C40 3 foot flex track and matching turnouts. That would change things.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:40:00 AM »

:D    Hey, that guy is wearing an OptiVISOR!!     :D
. . . 42 . . .

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:48:18 AM »
Good to know, thanks! What kind of train lengths are people getting with a couple (or three) SD40-2s?

Agreed about the track/turnouts situation. That might nudge me into action.

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +233
    • Ztrack
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Large layouts... did someone say large layouts??? Heck yes! Has David K Smith mentioned, I am working on a sizable basement size layout. Sorry US fans, but the home layout is European based.

There are quite a few Z scalers who are working on very large layouts. A few names, Jeffrey White, Jim Thomas, Rich Petruska, Paul Peterson, Ron Galloway, Robert Allbritton, David Miller, Jim O'Connell (layout is no longer in existing, but his three layouts were incredible), Andy Poulo, Tony Brucia... well you get the point. I consider large any layout that takes up at least half a room. :)

Also don't rule out the modules! The module displays are incredible and you will see LONG trains running on them. At our local club, we would typically run 40-50 car trains behind double headed locos. My locos of choice for pulling power are AZL's SD70s. Here is a shot of our modules showing the yard and a pair of SD70s pulling about 50 AZL coal porters.

You can see the tail on the left and the lead engines on the right. The modules you see are mine and Jim Thomas'.

A pair of MTL SD40-2 should be good for around 40 cars. They don't have traction tires like the AZL locos, but still will pull a good number of cars.

The largest Z train I ever say was in 2002, at the Ft. Lauderdale NTS. Over 200 cars were attempted. The problem was that the MTL couples kept breaking due to the weight of the train. We had a crowd watch this massive train work around the layout. It was pulled by AZL C44s with C44s mid train has helpers. What fun.

Rob
Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1240
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »
If we ever get C40 3 foot flex track and matching turnouts. That would change things.

This x1000

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »
This is my Z layout,it is 5'2"long,near end is 24"wide,far end is 30" wide.No it is not big enough but it will fit in my wyf's car with the rear seat back down.Pic was taken on Friday night just after set up.

There are more pics further down this page.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:35:47 PM by Catt »
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Rowan

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
Nice layout ztrack.

:)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »
Patience.

Someone sounds foreboding. This may make me buy those WM F-7's that MT just put out....

The S.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Yes, there are a few. There's a huge Z layout in the DC area (don't know the name offhand). Also, Rob Kluz has a basement-sized Z layout.

The DC layout is Robert Allbritton's. It used to reside about a half mile from me in the Del Ray area of Alexandria, but it was moved to a new location in a Georgetown garage. The guys  who worked on it for the move, Scott Mason, Dan Wickenheiser and Dave Vago, visited my layout last fall. I did a blog post (http://usmrr.blogspot.com/2011/11/back-in-operation-finally.html) on their visit, but alas no photos of the Z scale layout. 

Allbritton's layout is based on the Gotthard Pass. It was featured in MR at least once. Here is a link with photos of the layout in the Del Ray location. http://home.comcast.net/~potomac_nmra3/LayoutTours/RobAlbriton/album/index.html

BCK

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »
Here's some more of the Z scale Gotthard Lines, at the 2005 NMRA National Train Show in Cincinnati:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/411649978coHSfA

The thumbnail below goes to an overhead view of the layout:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:12:21 PM by atsf_arizona »
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s