Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/24/12  (Read 15382 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26113
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11617
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 09:22:57 PM »
0
You know, every time that I feel like I'm getting it right, you asshats put me right in my place. That's a great thing!

 :ashat:

rochsub

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 371
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 09:26:21 PM »
0
Mark, I am really liking that snow shed.  Nice engineering on the assembly jig (I seem to recall somewhere that you're a mechanical engineer).  Other than the fact that you are a purist, why did you not skimp on the inside bents?  Will they be visible in the final scene?  Anyway, can't wait to see the results on the layout. 

Here's more progress since Friday on the Proviso Engine Facilities. 

More info at http://genevasub.blogspot.com




BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
0
Steady progress over the last couple of weeks.   Fort St John yard now has powered track for 50% of its length.   Last spike party is almost in sight.



Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

mark dance

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1280
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »
0
Other than the fact that you are a purist, why did you not skimp on the inside bents?  Will they be visible in the final scene?  Anyway, can't wait to see the results on the layout. 

I appreciate all the compliments a great deal - thanks! - but I am a bit surprised a foam core assembly jig garners such praise.  Let's wait and see how the finished model turns out...lots of gotchas still to over come in this curved thing.

And I am definitely not a purist...I don't think a purist would settle for all the compromises I am making on the bents for example so they can be cut from a single sheet of wood.

As to why bother with the interior ones...I have been very surprised at how much of them are actually visible (see below)



This next shed is angled more to face the front of the layout, is closer to eye level and, as it is set on a  canyon wall where there is no foliage between it and the viewer...so the inside may be quite visible to the viewer.

Anyway, the reason I pushed to get the jig done and all the wood together is because we are off to a cottage for a month and working on this will be my hobby project while there.  I needed the CAD program on my desktop computer to build the jig but now it is all just cutting and fitting.

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 10:50:33 PM »
0
Mark:

Good to see progress on the second shed - we have been avoiding hte paper mock-up in photographs so its completion will open up some new photographic opportunities when the need  arises.


Andy:

The yard is coming along nicely.  I have long dreamed of seeing a yard full of BCR cars - you are just about there!  Presumably the two tracks off to the right are the elevator service tracks?


Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 11:55:48 PM »
0
This weekend included a few firsts for our family.  Our six-month-old daughter, Aly, rolled over for the first time unassisted, and there was a groundbreaking on my new HCD layout... finally!



Yes, sir!  My wife and I closed on our new house a few weeks ago, and I have room for a layout again after many, many months of having none.  Please follow along on the Seaboard Central 2.0 thread in the Layout Engineering Reports.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3582
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3970
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »
0
Ed wow love the base....

BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
0


Andy:

The yard is coming along nicely.  I have long dreamed of seeing a yard full of BCR cars - you are just about there!  Presumably the two tracks off to the right are the elevator service tracks?


Tim

Yes. that is the elevator trackage.  I am going to cantilever the actual grain elevators off the front fascia on a removable section.  The gap between those tracks and the classification yard will be forest just like the prototype
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2012, 05:05:54 AM »
0
It's done. Amazing what you can accomplish with an all-nighter.



I pulled a lot of stuff out of the enginehouse area. I felt it made an already busy, cluttered area excessively so.



Now you can get to see some of the detailing, like the heavily oil-stained track.



A pair of railfans are scoping out the facility.



Above the sign, some roadwork is under way.



Former passenger station property was recently converted into a MOW storage area.



Some excitement is going on: CNJ 552 is on the ground. One of the crew scopes out the problem, while a foamer catches the action.



It's going to be a long trip home for these folks.



seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2101
  • Respect: +220
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
0
Dave,

who makes those figures?
EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »
0
Been making some progress on the NCR shelf:



Holy Crap, Ed made a progress post!

(Looks good, love the earthtones!)

:D
The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

Hiroe

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 594
  • Respect: +256
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »
0
It's done. Amazing what you can accomplish with an all-nighter.



Dave,

Just... Wow. Are you secretly hiding a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" style shrink-ray machine?

Thanks to an excellent topic posted by Mr Green (whose name I've forgotten, unfortunately), I got motivated to string a bit more wire over at the club.

(better photos posted below)

--Drew


« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:08:18 AM by Hiroe »
wubba lubba dub dub

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »
0
Dave,

who makes those figures?
EP

They are all Preiser.

SecretWeapon

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 437
  • Respect: +41
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »
0
David, fantastic! Is that Elizabeth, near  E-Port?
Mike

Zox

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1120
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Weekend Update 6/24/12
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »
0
I spent a good amount of time helping to build a loop module for MARRS last week. We had a show coming up in Timonium this weekend, and two of the three end-loop owners had bailed (I'm the third). So we needed another loop in a hurry:



I also got the roads installed installed on my station module, and did a quick grass job to hide the bare glueshell:



And finally, I replaced the cheesy plastic crossbucks at Area 53 with some operable NJ International units:



They're not wired up yet, but even inactive they look 1000% better than what was there before.

Kind of a nice parting shot, looking out from Area 53's parking lot, past the new signals and the guard shack, with the Court Street overpass (on the station module) in the background:

Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...