Author Topic: Bachmann DCC  (Read 1332 times)

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Bachmann DCC
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:49:07 PM »
Hi guys,just trying to cover my caboose here.I just got a pretty good deal on a new Bachmann N scale GE 70 tonner.I have not run it on DCC yet but I am wondering if there is a drop in replacement decoder from an outside source.

I was sure I had seen one from NCE but now I can not find it.Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2291
Re: Bachmann DCC
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »
 :?

The Bachmann switchers have DCC from the factory. They're basic as decoders go, but they work OK if you don't need special light functions or want to mess with motor response curves.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
Yeah the decoders are pretty good out of the box, just keep it clean and light on the lubrication. I have the Dewitt and GP7 which were overlubed, creating poor electrical contact and created signal interference. Once cleaned they are back to normal.

The S.

ike8120

• Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:59 PM »
The TCS M-1 will fit but it is a hardwired decoder.

Erik PRR

• Crew
  • Semper tiro
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:45:04 AM »
When reading about those recent Bachmann engines with preinstalled decoders I get the impression that the performance varies a lot. I have two GP7 that buzz terribly (I read reviews claiming they are noiseless) and one 44-tonner that's decently quiet.

I'd like to ask the same question as Catt but regarding the GP7. Any available replacement decoders?

Erik Wejryd, Linköping Sweden

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
Re: Bachmann DCC 44-tonner
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »
I have two of the these engines and use them in DCC.  They working very nicely.  I suspect the shorter wheel base makes them more sensitive to "dirty" track.
I have run them in consist on my layout.  Also run them with recall doing two separate switching operations.
 :)