Author Topic: Cobolt Turnout Motors - Opinions?  (Read 3820 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Cobolt Turnout Motors - Opinions?
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
Wondering if anyone has used the Cobalt Turnout Motors? They are a stall type motor like the Tortise.

I am looking at switching to these as I am running into some issues with my Tam Valley Depot servo motors where they are not remembering their set points, and some are burning up before I can realize what is happening... so I am pondrering switching.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: Cobolt Turnout Motors - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
why not just stick with the tortoise . .the cobalts look just like them .. but more expensive?

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »
If he was using servos before, then space may be of concern.  The Cobalts are barely half the size of a Tortoise.
-Mark

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
Never heard of them until now, so no opinion, except about the price: $25.95   :RUEffinKiddingMe:.  Here's a link for the curious:

http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/Cobalt_turnout_motor.htm

I also recently came across the Mole from the proto:87 store:

http://www.proto87.com/switch-machine-turnout-controls.html

Again I have no experience with these, but they're smaller and cheaper than the Tortoise, so may be of interest.

-gfh

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »
Wondering if anyone has used the Cobalt Turnout Motors? They are a stall type motor like the Tortise.

I am looking at switching to these as I am running into some issues with my Tam Valley Depot servo motors where they are not remembering their set points, and some are burning up before I can realize what is happening... so I am pondrering switching.

Hi Ian,
Sorry to hear this. I've been exploring the servo option with different types of boards. Was this a tvd circuit board or servo motor problem or other issue?   Thanks
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »
1. Price is not an issue. I firmly beileve in you get what you pay for in most cases.
2. Space is an issue, and the Cobolts are much smaller than the tortise machines.
3. They already have the DCC in them in the newer models. On the tortosise I would have to add the "Wrabbit" or the "Hare" dcc decoders and it would be about the same price for the same features if I go that non SE8C route...about $35 each. (which I am planning on) The layout is modular so the fewer boards under the layout the better.  I'm still game for the tortise machines, just looking to see if maybe others have used these yet to see if they are better. I have read that they are MUCH quieter than the Tortise machines which is a big plus for me.

Dunno what is up with the servos. I will have them set and they will work fine for a while and then all of a sudden they start forgeting their end points and try and push to far or not enough. The LEDs will sit there and blink like crazy. I dunno I still have to talk to Tam Valley. I'm just looking at other options out there.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
I am looking to try this board... http://www.teamdigital1.com/prod_catalogue/sc8_product/sc8.html.
No affliation or prior exxperience.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:28:27 AM »
Was going to use them (the cobolts) but went with the bullfrogs at the last minute due to members on this board showing me the value in them.
I have seen them used on N scale display layouts and from the feed back of the owners they are quite happy with them, especially with the size allowing thiner (and therefore lighter) modules.
Regards
Tony A

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:43:28 AM »
1. Price is not an issue. I firmly beileve in you get what you pay for in most cases.

True that, but the flip side is: better is the enemy of good enough. And cost is an issue with me, given the number of turnouts I'll have.

Now for a dumb question: what is the attraction of DCC activated turnouts?  I can certainly imagine dispatcher control of mainline turnouts being cool, but what else?  I would think controlling turnouts from a throttle would be more cumbersome while your switching than simply pushing buttons in a fascia.  What am I missing?

-gfh

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 03:05:51 AM »
If the turnouts are DCC-controlled then throwing each turnout separately from the throttle can be a hassle (the difficulty also depends depending on the brand of the throttle).  The big advantage comes from the ability to interface JMRI virtual dispatching panel or the NCE mini-panel controller to set up routes (or even just macros). That way with a single push of a button (either virtually on the JMRI screen or a physical button on the mini-panel) to select a route which actually throws multiple turnouts for you. Or set up macros on a throttle to do the same. And the flexibility of reprogramming the routes without actually having to re-wire anything (as it is all software-controlled).

I can see this as being an overkill on simple layouts, but in many instances, DCC-controlled turnouts make things easier (from the hardware perspective). Of course the software part or programming all of this) is something that has to be done. You basically simplifying your layout's hardware while making the software more complex. There is always a tradeoff.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 03:46:26 AM »
3. They already have the DCC in them in the newer models.

Re this comment that the cobolts come with a DCC decoder.
They have an accessory decoder that can attach to them but that is extra like the Wabbit is to the Tortoise.
The Cobolt with be $25 for the motor and $15 for the dcc decoder (if the single one was purchased.
So thats $40 a turnout. (Ozzie Dollars)

I like the look of the Cobolt but cant come at the price. Im sticking with the tortoise considering it is $10 cheaper to start with.

The decoder then can be the Wabbit that is $28 per a pair of turn outs or $25 for a Pair for a DS64 (obviously these only come as a quad)
The Cobolt driver is $15 for 1 and $55 for a quad

When I did my sums for my layout with 54 turnouts the Tortoise with the DS54 was the most economical way to go and saved me $540 alone in turnout machines..
(and thats if you by them in singles..)
Each to their own..
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
Ian, I was having a similar issue with a few servos.  I bought a servo centering tool from Tam Valley for about $12.  It seemed to fix the end point issue so far, although it has only been about 4 weeks. 

I always thought I was centering the servo well enough on my own, but after awhile, a few would continue to push.  The centering tool is nothing but a battery case with an attached plug and circuit board.  It does the job though of snapping the servo to true center of travel.  Time will tell if this is a long term fix, but it worked on my few trouble spots for now.  I am assuming that not having centered the servo properly when I installed them, they began to creep and the board would try to make them go farther than needed to reach one side.  The endpoint problem was only on one direction of throw in my case.

Eric
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:53:55 AM by Pomperaugrr »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7954
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »
I kinda like the tortoise sound. It reminds you that they're working.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »
My head is swimming after reading the Cobalt installation instructions. Lots of information there, but maybe too much. Can't fault their enthusiasm for the product, tho'!

Yes, their DCC is a wired (not plug-in!) add-on. About the only installation advantage is the board is sized for a matching pocket on the motor case. I was amused by the "quad" version, which is nothing more than four single DCC controllers that haven't been cut apart.

I like what I'm seeing with the Cobalt - I never cared for the size of the Tortoise - but the end-point issues notwithstanding I'm still contemplating Tam Valley boards with cheap micro linear servos like this. (I need to get off my tuckus and build a test setup instead of thinking this thing into the ground...  :facepalm: )

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »
Funny Ed, I run my Tortoises at 5 volts so I don't hear them!

Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!