Author Topic: Need Tips for Soldering on Feeders To Rail...  (Read 4959 times)

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1296
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: Need Tips for Soldering on Feeders To Rail...
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »

So, feeding the power from either of the 3 ends will power all the rails (excluding the frog).  IMO, the best way to do this is to solder the feeders to one of the tracks adjacent to the turnout then solder the rail joiners between that piece and the turnout. If done correctly, the solder will wick into the rail joiners for an invisible and solid electrical connection.

If I'm following you right peteski, why not just solder your feeder drops to the bottom or side of the stock rails instead of soldering the joiners?  It would make it a lot easier to remove and replace the turnout if ever needed.

I just went through this a few weeks ago when I had a turnout go bad.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:09:07 PM by Bendtracker1 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4625
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »

If I'm following you right peteski, why not just solder your feeder drops to the bottom or side of the stock rails instead of soldering the joiners?  It would make it a lot easier to remove and replace the turnout if ever needed.

I just went through this a few weeks ago when I had a turnout go bad.

Yup, that is a viable alternative. But if you don't want to have a visible feeder on the outside of the stock rail you'll have to cut the plastic web between the ties to solder a feeder there.  Not having any rail joiners soldered would make a removal easier in the future.
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 06:00:34 PM »
Not having any rail joiners soldered would make a removal easier in the future.

I stopped soldering rail joiners long ago. It creates more problems than it solves, IMO. I just run feeders to each piece of rail, which allows the rails to expand and contract without creating headaches anywhere, and as noted makes switch replacement far easier.

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »
I just recently--within the last year--got to the point of soldering feeders to the outside of the rails, and was pretty darn proud of it. Before that, I was soldering feeders to rail joiners before assembly, Atlas-style.

I think I'm going to go feed myself to the piranhas now...  :oops:
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 06:25:28 PM »
No worries Rob!  I felt the same way but decided to go ahead and show people what I wasn't happy with my results. I too did the rail joiner technique but wanted to improve electrical reliability. Thanks everybody for the suggestions. This is a great group.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1265
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2012, 01:57:22 AM »
I stopped soldering rail joiners long ago. It creates more problems than it solves, IMO. I just run feeders to each piece of rail, which allows the rails to expand and contract without creating headaches anywhere, and as noted makes switch replacement far easier.

Yup.  That's what I do too.