Author Topic: New Jersey Under Wire- a 1979 era electrified layout  (Read 9079 times)

Green_Elite_cab

• Respect: 0
Re: New Jersey Under Wire- a 1979 era electrified layout
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 11:19:35 PM »
Show me a photo and I should be able to help out.

#917 is in the second photo from the top, in the foreground.   The Micro-scale Conrail lettering is slightly to small.  I occurred to me that I have some Champs Conrail and Penn Central numbers that might work, but I can't find them this moment.

What make are your E44s?  The reason I ask is that I have an ALCO Imports one that runs terrible (and needs a DCC upgrade), and I could use advice on how to proceed.

Also, I have purchased several of the ConCor MP54s.  So far they're smooth runners, and do have a decent pulling power with the traction tires.  One had electric issues, but removign and reinstalling the circuit board fixed them.  I have yet to try them in DDC mode though, still waffling on whether or not to get the sound decoder.

-<Steve

They are produced by Alpha.  The Alpha units are superior to the Alco ones, but apparently only a handful were made.  The guy I bought them from had several more from an estate, though I think he is keeping them.    The best way I've seen to re-work the ALCO models E44 is to modify a Bachmann Spectrum E33 frame to match.  This requires cutting down the weights of the E33 frame, since the Alco E44 is shorter in length than the prototye E44 (which is the same size as an E33). 

I have already tried remotoring the old Alco mechanism,  but the bottom line is that the gear tower and such are just awful, and there isn't really anything you can do to fix it.  You're better off rebuild the E33 frame.

Follow this guy's instructions,  his is the best protocol for Alco E44 repowering.    Spectrum E33s can be had cheap if you look in the right places anyway.  For a time,  MB Klein had them down to $40.

http://www.railheadvideo.com/pix/modeling/E44/e44.htm

Green_Elite_cab

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 11:52:32 PM »
Well, I need to dig up a camera, but i'm excited to report that I mounted my first piece of catenary between the poles I have constructed.   It was definitely a learning experience! 

I'm currently running into issues keeping the wire taught.  I'm thinking this is because even though I anchored the two catenary towers in,  they aren't quite enough to keep the tension going.  I figure as I add more pieces to the system,  they will keep everything tugged tight.

Also, I think I might leave excess wire at the "peak" of the messenger wire (the curvy upper wire), so that I can adjust the tension even more so.   

I've also learned that the Acela pantographs are really REALLY crappy.  Not only are the springs WAY to strong,  but the arms have a hard time staying stable.

Similarly, the Bachmann E33 and BLI GG1 pans put a lot of pressure on the catenary as well, but not TOO bad.

It seems like the AEM7s, Bachmann and American GK E60s,  and the old bachmann Metroliners aren't to bad in terms of their spring pressure. I'm going to have to tinker, it seems.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »
#917 is in the second photo from the top, in the foreground.   The Micro-scale Conrail lettering is slightly to small.  I occurred to me that I have some Champs Conrail and Penn Central numbers that might work, but I can't find them this moment.

#917 is plain old Helvetica (Ariel is a supposed substitute, but it's not right.)

BTW, #4456 is Futura bold.

Green_Elite_cab

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »
#917 is plain old Helvetica (Ariel is a supposed substitute, but it's not right.)

BTW, #4456 is Futura bold.

:D :facepalm:

Ah, cool, now I know what to look for!

************************************************************************************

Anyone going to the Northeast Fallen Flage RPM in Bridgewater, NJ this weekend?  here are the details- 

http://www.hansmanns.org/neff_rpm/

In the meantime...  Fantastic picture time.

Also, new U34CH (#3371),  parked next to an older "modified" unit.  This one still needs at least a Nose-light before it can be a true U34CH.