Author Topic: Exactrail doing SOU Waffles in N  (Read 9309 times)

bc6

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
Re: Exactrail doing SOU Waffles in N
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
Thats a neat looking model I might be in for one or two but with the way I expect them to be priced I may sit the rest of ExactRails releases out permanently. I got lucky that ModelTrainStuff had stock of their TTX FBOX cars on sale otherwise forget about it.

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +477
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 10:33:58 PM »
unfortunately...I gotta break down to get a few...Southern trumps EXR's crap. Course, I'll probably be the guy who picks up a few that no one else wanted  :D
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3054
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »
I have about 10-15 of the MDC "waffles" lettered for CSX/CSXT/SBD that I am at some point going to work on.  Might get a couple of EXR, depends on the price point though.

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 08:03:06 AM »
Course, I'll probably be the guy who picks up a few that no one else wanted  :D
True dat but,as much fuss as I raised with Blain about doing the waffle sides I better pick up some of those extras as well... :D
Larry

Summerset Ry.

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »
Just when I think my roster doesn't need any more freight cars (other than Brian's X58's), stuff like this comes along.  Do I have room for them, no.  Will I get some, yes.  I am thinking four Southern's since I can remember them on Conrail trains in the 80's.  Good stuff.  Dumb question, what did the Southern's shippers load in them?  I would assume lumber and paper, but what else?  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +234
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »
Just when I think my roster doesn't need any more freight cars (other than Brian's X58's), stuff like this comes along.  Do I have room for them, no.  Will I get some, yes.  I am thinking four Southern's since I can remember them on Conrail trains in the 80's.  Good stuff.  Dumb question, what did the Southern's shippers load in them?  I would assume lumber and paper, but what else?  Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff, my recollection were the old ALSE and NSSE trains over the lehigh line with tons of these cars.  I know that bricks were also shipped in them, as there was an unloading team track in Middlesex (not far from the Model RR shop in Piscataway).   Add to that probably bailed fertilizer and other ag products, bailed scrap fiber and paper, etc...

There are still tons of these cars around and since southeastern industries still use a lot of boxcars they are still very prominent...

- Lou

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »
Now that you mention bricks, I recall seeing some Southern Boxcars that were full of bricks being unloaded on the former Pittsburgh and Lake Erie at McKees Rocks, PA in 1993.  I was busy photographing the P&LE equipment at the time, but that has always stuck in my mind.  Thanks for the info.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Brakie

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »
There are still tons of these cars around and since southeastern industries still use a lot of boxcars they are still very prominent...

- Lou
--------------------------------
Lou,I'm yet to see a  NS manifest train that didn't have at least 6 or 7 along with the NS repainted waffles.

This car should be seen as a milestone for Southern,transitional NS and contemporary NS modelers.

Larry

Summerset Ry.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 10:11:06 AM »
Yes - I really want a couple of these.

No - I won't give Exactrail any of my money to get them.

^^ This, +1,

Phil
- Phil

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3054
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »
Still see alot of CSX cars here in southcentral PA

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »
These were common in South Texas in the 80's and 90's along with lots of per diem shortline cars. A lot of the industries in the Rio Grande Valley still ship by boxcar.

I'm going to need several of these.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +576
    • My train pics
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »
CSX NS and SOU waffles are still sighted weekly in Ajax, Ontario, at the Hupaco Wood Products plant. Though served by CN, I suspect the wood they prefer is fom the south, accounting for these cars. Seems odd since their bread and butter seems to be shipping pallets, but I'm not well versed in the ways of that particular industry.

Either way, that is my excuse for grabbing about eight of them when released... can never have too many box car types.

Brakie

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
^^ This, +1,

Phil

Actually any manufacturer that comes forth with new  N Scale models should be supported.

As far as selling direct that might become the next industry standard to hold costs unless one is willing to pay $50.00 for a  N Scale car.

You can buy direct from just about every manufacturer as it now stands and I suspect it wouldn't take much prompting by the owners to move to direct only sales.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

Actually any manufacturer that comes forth with new  N Scale models should be supported.

As far as selling direct that might become the next industry standard to hold costs unless one is willing to pay $50.00 for a  N Scale car.

You can buy direct from just about every manufacturer as it now stands and I suspect it wouldn't take much prompting by the owners to move to direct only sales.

Climbing on the Soap Box....

Larry,
 It wouldn't bother me a bit if they started out direct sales only and stayed that way. If they did that from the start, I would be buying a half dozzen of the waffles in CSX and Southern variations. Where I draw the line is how they used the LHS to promote and give people a hands on of their product, then yanked the rug out from under them once they got a following.

Stepping down now.

Tony Hines

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
Tony,

I'm not being a wise guy, just curious if you really think EXR was being deliberately dishonest when they decided to go the dealer route?

I mean sitting around a table one day and coming up with that type of marketing scheme to generate leads seems a bit... over the top.

It's been several years since I've been in the hobby-shop business, but I view it as simply them attempting to go that route, i.e. dealer network and determining that it wasn't going to work for their particular situation.

But maybe you're right.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:13:51 PM by MichaelWinicki »