Author Topic: My traveling Grande Valley Railway.(Onandaga sub)  (Read 7143 times)

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
Re: My traveling Grande Valley Railway.(Onandaga sub)
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »
The site I host on? My pictures are stored on my personal website which is hosted on 0catch.Why is it blocked?

Because the 0catch.com domain is identified as Adware, Malware, File Sharing and Web Spam by these kinds of filters and subsequently blocked by those companies that use these filters and those of us that use parental controls on our home networks,

Phil
- Phil

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »
There is no Adware,or Malware with 0catch.I've been using it for over 8 years and the only problem I've ever had with it is their server going down at the wrong times.0catch is one of the larger web service providers which I have no intention of leaving because somebody's screwed up software says there is Adware or Malware or Webspam on it.As for file sharing it would be rather useless without it.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 03:24:19 PM »
There is no Adware,or Malware with 0catch.I've been using it for over 8 years and the only problem I've ever had with it is their server going down at the wrong times.0catch is one of the larger web service providers which I have no intention of leaving because somebody's screwed up software says there is Adware or Malware or Webspam on it.As for file sharing it would be rather useless without it.

Web hosting providers often devote a portion of their service to sites (such as pron) that may sometimes deliver or redirect to malware, etc., unbeknownst to the host. Since these are usually paying customers, it's a way of subsidizing their "free" website offers. Unfortunately, this can affect the legitimate sites using the same service because a few questionable sites can blacklist dozens of good ones that share a common IP address. It's not due to "somebody's screwed up software," but the consequences of common hosting practices.

Also, Phil's use of the term "file sharing" refers to repositories where copyrighted files, such as music or videos, are made available for unauthorized downloading. It doesn't refer to the legitimate hosting of files, such as images, owned by the persons storing them. If detected, file sharing can also blacklist legitimate sites on a common IP.

Edit: I just checked the 0catch hosting plan details, and they indicate that paying plans have "No file type limitations - Can have MP3, EXE, ZIP, etc." and "No site type limitations - Can use for storage, image galleries, video downloads, etc." This can be a source of some trouble.

Also, this does not look good:
http://www.caretower.com/threat-news/spammers-taking-advantage-of-free-online-hosters/158 -- specifically mentions 0catch as a source of spam
http://blog.dynamoo.com/2012/01/0catchcom-and-malicious-bbb-spam.html
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/24298-free-hosting-services-abused-0catch-com

Bottom line: you get what you pay for. If I were using 0catch, I'd be closing my account in a New York Minute.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:09:54 PM by David K. Smith »

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2014, 05:44:04 PM »
Your right about getting what you pay for and the money I pay every year has always given me good service.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2014, 05:47:34 PM »
And if your expectations are fairly low, then it's easy to meet them. Take it from someone who has been a web developer since '95: hosting services like 0catch are literally a dime a dozen, and the problems you may have are invisible to you--problems like being blocked because they're also supporting spam, malware and file sharing. And there's no guarantee 0catch will even be around in a year--there are mega-hosting companies that are gobbling up these little guys by the bushel (see: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31631.msg351524#msg351524), and the next owner of your provider may not be as satisfactory. So... your choice.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:53:13 PM by David K. Smith »

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2014, 08:34:59 PM »
David have no fear,I have no intentions of giving up my 0catch account so I will just stop posting pictures so the rest of the guyz won't have to worry about my evil provider either. :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »
Most posting of pictures of this great layout, less hosting talk :)