Author Topic: New N Scale Coupler Announced! NZT  (Read 27358 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
Re: New N Scale Coupler Announced! NZT
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »
Accurately scaled wheelsets have operational problems on NMRA Standard spec trackwork in any scale.  That's why there are Proto track specs, although none yet for N that I'm aware of.....

This should probably be moved to a new thread, but, I don't think the BLMA wheel set was ever meant to be "proto". It should operate within the NMRA specs.

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 04:14:56 PM »
David,

If you give me a Z scale coupler in a MT 1015 sized box that would be a drop in conversion that come out at the right height I will buy hundreds of them.

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »
Just a couple of questions, how strong will the Z scale coupler be? I'm looking at running very very long 'live load' N scale ore trains but would like a scale size looking coupler that can handle the job.

Will they be able to transmit pushing forces? Ore trains need DPU power.

Just how easy will they be able to uncouple with a hidden magnet/electromagnet?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »
David,

If you give me a Z scale coupler in a MT 1015 sized box that would be a drop in conversion that come out at the right height I will buy hundreds of them.

Since the geometry of the N and Z coupler boxes are different, then the Z scale coupler might not be able to fit an N scale box perfectly; that said, I will do my best to offer as much interchangeability as is practical.

...how strong will the Z scale coupler be?

It should be roughly as strong as the either the AZL or the Full Throttle, which are generally the strongest Z scale couplers in terms of remaining coupled under high pulling forces. Assisting the ProtoMate's performance is a planned zero-draft-angle inner knuckle surface. "Reverse draft angle" is a misnomer; the angles are not actually reversed, but instead angled at a slope that approaches zero as closely as practical. Likewise, the plan is to keep the ProtoMate's draft angles as close to zero as the tooling shop can manage.

Will they be able to transmit pushing forces?

The knuckle geometry was very carefully designed to offer excellent pushing performance. The innermost curve on the knuckle part has a small depression that corresponds to the tip of a knuckle coupled to it. This will help prevent the coupler from being thrust into a cocked position.

Just how easy will they be able to uncouple with a hidden magnet/electromagnet?

Uncoupling performance should be equivalent to MT. The pin geometry is the same, and the forces applied by the metal spring are far more gentle than the forces applied by plastic springs, which are used in the AccuMate and the McHenry (the latter coupler has three springs, a metal one for the knuckle and two plastic ones for centering).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:27:00 PM by David K. Smith »

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
Thanks for the answers David, looking forward to the ProtoMate landing now  8)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »
I am curious, if Ian saw a prototype 2 years ago, and it is still 2 years away, why make the announcement without any pics?

If it were someone else I would be skeptical, but David seems to get things done...so I'm hopeful.....

Why announce it before tooling starts? Because I want to hear from people, to know their needs and wants, before I commit the design to steel. Operating in the dark, and then suddenly dropping the product on the street, is not the best way of doing business, as far as I'm concerned. I've been working on this project for quite a long time, and the hardest work--designing the parts that make it function--is done. But things like shank length, pocket size and shape, converters and adapters, and so on, are not etched in stone. The more information I can gather on these, the better the chance I have at scoring a home run.

This is your chance to be heard. Keep this thread alive. Keep adding ideas, suggestions, wants and wishes. While I obviously cannot satisfy everyone's desires, I can at least address the most popular requests, and also, perhaps more importantly, keep an eye out for potential trouble spots by actually listening to what people have to say on the subject. How often have you had an opportunity to help design a coupler?

rschaffter

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 07:56:10 PM »
"Always with the Negative waves, Moriarty"...

Cheers,
Rod Schaffter

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »
If the Protomate eliminates the slinky effect and stays coupled under normal activities, you WILL have hit a home run.  Everything else will be frosting on the cake.  I'm hoping for a lot of frosting.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »
Because I want to hear from people, to know their needs and wants, before I commit the design to steel. Operating in the dark, and then suddenly dropping the product on the street, is not the best way of doing business, as far as I'm concerned.

I like these words....

And my post wasn't meant to be negative....like I said.....just curious....

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:53 PM »
Wow!

I hope all the mfg aspects get worked out perfectly. If they perform as announced, I'm in for at least 1000. I've changed my fleet from rapidos to MTL; from MTL to early Accumate; from Accumate to (partially) MTL. Why not another conversion? I may need younger eyes and hands to do it, but the money I've spent on coupler conversions would probably build and equip a room-sized layout.

That's a pipe dream. I'd buy a few sets for the head and end of consists, and a few more for "lead" and trailing" cars, just like I did on the first conversion from rapidos to MTL.  Then, if the new couplers worked perfectly, I'd hunker down and do the rest en masse.

All I can say is Go, David, Go! Hoping for the best success!

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »
David,

What he said! I've experimented with full throttle couplers, but found the plastic springs to be unreliable. I'm anticipating these more than anything else. I would much prefer a drop in Z scale coupler for N scale equipment, though I will resort to body mounting the coupler boxes if not offered. What are the chances of including a self tapping screw with the coupler boxes for body mounting? Best of luck to you David!
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »
Comment Removed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:41:32 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2012, 09:35:52 PM »
What are the chances of including a self tapping screw with the coupler boxes for body mounting?

One screw probably wouldn't address very many different circumstances. I might include more than one, or (more likely) I might not include any, but instead offer recommendations on what to use.

The comment that the N scale coupler would be 'about' the same size as others was a bit of a let down...

Which is the alternate reason for the existence of the Z scale coupler. An N scale knuckle different in size from existing knuckles could create interoperability problems. For those wishing to have a more to-scale coupler, the Z scale version is for you. Hence, you more or less answered your own question--

A Z scale 1015 'style' drop in coupler would be even better-better (Yes 2 betters) for the cars with the coupler box built in
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:39:46 PM by David K. Smith »

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
I'm glad I'm in a stage of limbo on wheels and couplers, hoping that someone would come out with a good scale (Or close to scale) coupler option 'for the masses'.. 

The 'Operations' benefits are very exciting..

I'm very Excited on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!! ~Ian in Iowa

...I'm with you on this one.  I still have FVM metal wheels that need to go onto cars, and I really haven't thought about any coupler conversions yet, body-mount or otherwise, except incidentally to a few CBQ waycars that I redid a few years ago.  So basically my whole fleet of rolling stock is still truck-mounted MT or Accumates.  Round numbers lets say 200 cars at $5.00 a car for the pair, you'd be rolling in $, and I better start saving my pennies!  8)
Regards,
Paul

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +493
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 10:05:57 PM »
David, I have to applaud you on this, I expect I'll be upgrading my fleet when these come out; Accumates are ok, but i don't really get the whole skewer idea. Congrats sir, and I applaud your commitment to this project!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:08:09 PM by packers#1 »
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech