Author Topic: Atlas U25B  (Read 2967 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Atlas U25B
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »
I got my notice, my package should arrive Monday!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Atlas U25B
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »
I've got a NH U25B on its way to me.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
My package arrived just fine today.  The engine however was a bit of a surprise.  It ran very loud at first with a growling sound, than proceeded to light up both front and rear lights alternating, than stopped running altogether.  Now it will only light up when power is applied.  It puked out a bunch of gray liquid which I assume is some sort of lubricant.  You can see stains in the cradle of the box from this liquid.  So needless to say it is going back.  Bummer.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »
My package arrived just fine today.  The engine however was a bit of a surprise.  It ran very loud at first with a growling sound, than proceeded to light up both front and rear lights alternating, than stopped running altogether.  Now it will only light up when power is applied.  It puked out a bunch of gray liquid which I assume is some sort of lubricant.  You can see stains in the cradle of the box from this liquid.  So needless to say it is going back.  Bummer.

IIRC, in Digitrax decoders alternating lights means that there is a speed step mismatch between the command station and the decoder. One is set for 14 steps while the other is set for 28/128 steps. Assuming that there is a Digitrax decoder in there and that my recollection is correct.  Or did that mean that there is a short between the rail power and the motor leads?   :| I guess it doesn't really matter since this new model is being returned to the dealer.
. . . 42 . . .

PGBowler2

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 06:40:17 AM »
We haven't used Digitrax decoders in over 10 years. 

Rather than send it back to the dealer, send it back directly to us, put it to the attention of Cory Rothlisberger.  I will let him know to watch for it so we can take a look at what is happening.  It is not something that we saw in preproduction samples, or in the random inspection that is done when each shipment arrives.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
Was DC and not DCC, package already shipped back to the hobby shop, my bad. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
Was DC and not DCC, package already shipped back to the hobby shop, my bad.

Really?!  I can't imagine how the front and back headlights could be alternating unless you were flipping the direction switch  on the DC throttle.  That is a mystery.  I wonder if you received a DCC model by accident.
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
Really?!  I can't imagine how the front and back headlights could be alternating unless you were flipping the direction switch  on the DC throttle.  That is a mystery.  I wonder if you received a DCC model by accident.

To be honest I did not check the packaging to verify if it was DC.  In all the engines I have owned I have never seen anything like this.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 09:11:01 PM »
In all the engines I have owned I have never seen anything like this.

Neither have I.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »
I bought a U25B (40 000 578, CB&Q 101) and it runs as smoothly as the older U25B (44724, GN 2505) that I bought a few years ago. I think that you had back luck.

Both locos are now open as I am going to add a TCS decoder (that's the manufacturer I prefer). My models aren't overlubricated.

There are a few differences between the older and the newer model:

- The PC board has a different layout, but with the same components. The old one is 645-X001R4, the new one is AF9645-E003. The new LED is less yellowish.
- The new motor has a black saddle, the old motor has a grey saddle.

What strikes me most is the strange white stripe around the sill. It is very glossy, unlike anything I have ever seen on my Atlas locos. The U25B plate isn't positioned correctly, but that is probably just for rivet counters. The walkways are red, thank god! The CB&Q GP30 from Atlas has incorrect black walkways.

What I don't like are the missing lights on the front of the loco. But that is the same issue as with the Walthers/Life Like GP20 (80051, CB&Q 911). I guess that these are the compromises in manufacturing multiple locos. (The same goes for the winterization hatches that are missing in most models.)

In summary, I am very pleased with my new model. I don't want to offend anyone, but to me the problems seem like bad luck.

Cheers,

Javier
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:19:20 AM by Ngineer »

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 06:39:46 PM »
I sent my email off last night requesting instructions and I am confident that the issues will be resolved.  I also noted the red paint is a little brighter than the older runs.  GE had a little different paint spec than EMD!!  :D
Brian

Way of the Zephyr