Author Topic: AC&Y - Ohio's Road of Service  (Read 21570 times)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +352
Re: AC&Y - Ohio's Road of Service
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »
Bryan is correct.  The frame base is 0.040" styrene.  The "underframe" detail is a plastic part offered by MT.  You can use IM underframe details too.  Detailing the bottom of freight cars is not very important to me, hence my comment "the detail is nice but not necessary".  The underbelly of the 50' single sheathed cars is nothing more than a styrene strip shaped to look like a whale belly centerbeam.

Years ago, before I understood that only the unwashed lowered MT box cars  :D I filed and hacked and hacked and filed the metal frame to a Monon 40' XM, finally getting the right balance between correct body mounted coupler height and ride height.  I was very happy with the appearance of the model but said "screw this" and decided some day I'd figure out how to use styrene and alternative weight to get to the same place.  That day arrived last week.  Using the computerized x-y cutter to score the frame base will eliminate the tedium of measuring drilling locations, a big plus given my poor eyesight.

Moving day is next week.  All the modeling tools are either over at the house already or packed and ready to go.  So we move on. . . . .

Steve

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +352
Re: AC&Y - Ohio's Road of Service
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2020, 09:12:44 PM »
+1
Despite the rough handling by the "professional" movers, the Brittain Yard ladder survived the move with no apparent damage.  I haven't run anything yet obviously but it all looks to be in good shape.  The extra wrapping and crating precautions paid off!!!  After seeing some of the modules stacked upside down wedged in the load I was expecting the worst.  More sections to unwrap as they are needed so the worst may yet come to pass.

Here's then underbelly.  One switch linkage came loose but it's only a paperclip so no big deal.  I'll check all the connections as I replace some of the terminal blocks.  I bought the cheapest available the first go round and that's what I got quality wise.  You'd think I'd have learned by now.

I've decided to sacrifice some layout length and devote a generous amount of floor space to make a comfortable model building environment.  The General Tire build reminded me how much I enjoyed model building.  The extra space should encourage more of it.

The Spur 4 Goodyear section was always a giant compromise and a poor one at that.  I have a new plan that does the role Goodyear played in the AC&Y operations justice.  The photo shows some track removal in progress.  More as things play out.  It will take some time to get to that point I'm afraid.