Author Topic: Williams Loop as a Free-moN module set?  (Read 399 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Williams Loop as a Free-moN module set?
« on: November 06, 2023, 01:29:04 AM »
+2
Looking for some thoughts and feedback on this as an idea.  This is one way of building WL full-scale as a Free-moN module set (12" grid). 

AFAIK this has not ever been done as a Free-moN. For me, a big concern would be how to transport it. I'd have to rent a U-Haul or cargo van, at least.  I do have room to set it up in my basement, tho staging would be a considerable effort too.  Probably would need at least 500 evergreen trees, even if the center were kept open as drawn.

Seems the prototype mostly runs UP trains downhill.  I'd need an excuse to run BNSF and uphill trains.

(I of course considered Tehachapi Loop, but it would not look right without the center hill.  Also, the grade would require an elevation change of ~18", which exceeds what the Free-moN standard allows.)

Ed
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 01:32:47 AM by ednadolski »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
Re: Williams Loop as a Free-moN module set?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 05:51:35 AM »
+1
Very cool.  I was just watching some videos of Williams Loop.  You'll definitely need lots of trees!

I can't really comment on the Free-moN aspect of it, except to agree that it would be a logistical challenge to transport and, perhaps, to incorporate in a setup, e.g., I didn't realize grades were allowed.

BNSF trains would definitely be rare east of Keddie, but you could always host detours.  I don't know what the current UP practice is with regard to directional running over Feather River and Donner, but the Loop certainly has been a 2-way route for most of its existence.

BTW, I'm not sure how you got to 18" for a Tehachapi layout.  The Loop crossing itself would be ~6"  in N; you'd need more than 2 scale miles of 2.2% to get to 18".  But Williams would be a lot easier, and a fresh new challenge. :)

Buck.H

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 09:25:18 AM »
Well mebbe some one could build some Reno branch modules, and we could at least see some east bound UP trains.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 09:27:44 AM by Buck.H »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 10:36:39 AM »
Very cool!!

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 11:47:34 AM »
I didn't realize grades were allowed.
Yes, tho you don't see them often as there are a few challenges.  That said tho, large Free-moN setups with many modules all the same height can create a sort of "Flatland" look.

I'm not sure how you got to 18" for a Tehachapi layout.

In this full-scale design (based on satellite+topo images) I set Tunnel 10 at 60"  and followed 2.08% downgrade.  Just past the TC bridge it gets to about 42" elevation.

You have to expand the image full-size to see the numbers.  Not sure how practical this could be as modules.

Williams would be a lot easier, and a fresh new challenge. :)

Definitely part of the appeal.  Admittedly tho I'm finding it rather difficult just to pick a direction and stick with it (which is the worst of all worlds, since nothing ever gets done  :facepalm: ).

Ed