Author Topic: Pacific Great Eastern Squamish Subdivision  (Read 4811 times)

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
Pacific Great Eastern Squamish Subdivision
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
Decided that posting track plans, etc. for my under construction layout would provide the impetus for me to get on and do some more construction.

The layout has been designed to represent the Squamish Subdivision of the Pacific Great Eastern (later became British Columbia Railway and BC Rail) as it was in the early 1950s - September, 1952 to be precise.  The benchwork occupies a 15' X 17' area in an L-shaped room about 15' X 22'.  Prior to October 1952 there was no direct rail connection to any other railway and until 1956, the only access to the PGE from Vancouver, BC, was by steamship for passengers and by tug and car barge for freight cars.  In October 1952, the railway reached Prince George, BC, and a direct rail connection with Canadian National.

Beginning at the Southern terminus of Squamish Dock, the line proceeds through the town of Squamish, past the railways shops at North Yard, then crosses the Mamquam River, passing through Cheakamus before entering a hidden 3/4 turn climb that leads to the scenic Cheakamus Canyon.  The 12' long canyon scene is about a 1/3 scale representation of the area from Mile 17.95 to Mile 19.0.  The Mile 17.95, Mile 18.1, Mile 18.3 and Mile 19.0 bridges are modelled full size with only the distance between them compressed.  Leanig the canyon, the road crosses Brandywine Creek on a prototypicall rare bridge at the brink of a waterfall and continues to Alta Lake/Mons Wye at the summit of the Coast Range before entering a 6 2/3 turn helix down to Pemberton, on the lower deck.

After leaving the helix, the railway passes through the town of Pemberton, BC, the proceeds to Devine (site of Blackwater Timber's sawmill and planer mill), then on to D'Arcy at the Western end of Anderson Lake.  A convenient prototype tunnel at Mile 88.0 (2 miles North of D'Arcy) leads to the hidden staging yard that represents Lillooet and all points North.

The geographic reversal of the relative elevations of Squamish and Lillooet was done to eliminate having the staging yard above the operationally busy town of Squamish and also to avoid vertical restriction on the signature scenic scene of the Cheakamus Canyon.

Statistics for the layout are shown above.  Operationally, I expect the layout to provide ample work to keep a crew of 5 to 7 (including Dispatcher) busy for a 2 1/2 hour operating session.

Regards,
Greg Kennelly

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
Re: Pacific Great Eastern Squamish Subdivision
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:07:30 AM »
I remember stumbling upon this trackplan whilst surfing RailImages, it's a great plan with alot of great scenes possible and should prove to be very workable operationally.

Just curious, what was used to draw up the plan?

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:11:06 AM »
Good to see this posted Greg.  When do we have a work party?  :)

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »
Leggy,

The plan was originally drawn in AutoCAD LT 2000, then imported into CorelDRAW X4 for final rendering.

Gary,

I can think about a work party when I manage to get enough of the junk cleared out of the railway room so that there is sufficient room for more than myself to move around!

Cheers,
Greg Kennelly

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 01:41:31 PM »
I can think about a work party when I manage to get enough of the junk cleared out of the railway room so that there is sufficient room for more than myself to move around!

Better modeling through peer pressure.  ;)

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
Greg,

This layout looks to be a great rendition of the PGE line.  The Cheakamus canyon, especially the river crossing, is one of my favorite rail locations in Canada.  Based on what I have seen, I suggest you take Gary up on his suggestion for work parties, and make sure he is there for the benchwork and track laying!

Cheers,
Scott

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »
Scott,

If I can get my act together and get another dozen turnouts built, I should be able to get the lower deck operational fairly quickly.  The benchwork and roadbed for the lower deck are in place, the staging yard is fully operational and a trial fit of the helix into the corner of the room has been done to check that everything actually fits per the plan!

For me, the Cheakamus Canyon is the real signature scene of the Squamish Subdivision.  My version of the Mile 18.1 bridge was originally built back in 1975 (OMG, 37 years ago!!) as one section of a 12' X 40' portable layout built by the Vancouver Area N Scalers - the original group that morphed into the TrainGang (the Vancouver, BC N-Trak group).

Cheers,
Greg Kennelly