Author Topic: Layouts Design Question: Transitions  (Read 1519 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Layouts Design Question: Transitions
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »
I have a natural break between the two main sections of my layout - about 2/3 is a long mountain grade.  The other third, which is visually completely separate had always been planned to be a small town or helper base at the foot of the grade.  The basic idea here is that BN kept the Snoqualmie Line open instead of Stampede Pass, rebuilt it and uses it heavily.

I am starting to think of the possibility of having the two areas disconnected by more miles though, since I am not finding any proto-freelancable towns which fit my idea of what I want in the layout.  Specifically the town SHOULD geographically be North Bend, WA - but as I study the town, it is not looking quite like what I would want it to be.  Options:

- Change North Bend - since the railroad survived for 30 more years, it could be different.  Of course railroads these days don't have a big impact
   on local architecture anymore, so that is kind of stretching it.  Buck up and just model how it would be different....

- Assume North Bend is a lot different - the mill expanded instead of closing and the downtown just looks different. 

- Go further West to a town closer to Puget Sound - possibly allowing for some bigger industries and larger buildings.

What I want out of the town is a yard, an industry and a reasonable downtown area.  And yes, I know North Bend is the town in Twin Peaks...  Definitely planning for a Great Northern lodge somewhere and in the market for dwarfs....

Ideas????

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:22:49 AM by ljudice »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Layouts Design Question: Transitions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »
There's a small, now abandoned logging town at the top of Stampede pass that might work for ya.  I have pics running around somewhere.  Since it's a ghost town, relocating it to the bottom of the old Snoqualmie alignment wouldn't hurt anyone.

And even without the mill issues, what's wrong with North Bend's downtown?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »
North Bend's problem -  they didn't use DPM buildings there!!!!!

But seriously, I looked at some maps and timetables, and I think I have this mixed up...   The mainline grade ended at Cedar Falls and there
was a yard there.  So this actually works - to munge together Cedar Falls, North Bend, the Snoqualmie mill (expanded),  and the junction
with between the lines to Seattle (MILW branch connecting to ex NP) and Tacoma (MILW)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:55:22 AM »
sounds like a plan.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B