Author Topic: G-Scale: Aristo-Craft "Southern Crescent" 4-6-2 Question  (Read 1650 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
G-Scale: Aristo-Craft "Southern Crescent" 4-6-2 Question
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »
Is the Aristo 4-6-2 really rated to run on 4-foot diameter curves? I need to know this before I donate $150 of my model budget to fix a G-scale layout by replacing with 5-foot diameter track.

Maybe Andy (asarge) will see this and have the answer. A G-scale forum with concise, searchable info seems to not exist, so I tip my hat to the experts on this "more informed" board.

Back story is the local museum has a G-scale display loop in the overhead, running an Aristo-Craft "Southern Crescent" 4-6-2. The fella who cobbled together the out-of-reach track put 24" radius ("4-foot diameter", in Aristo-Craft-speak) in the corners. Derailments in the turns are frequent, and the museum curator is getting frustrated. If this model was rated for these tight curves, it sure isn't running that way.  :(

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: G-Scale: Aristo-Craft "Southern Crescent" 4-6-2 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
I believe it needs 6' diameter curves. Check the forums on www.aristocraft.com.

I'm actually just getting out of G scale. It's fun, but I don't have a yard conducive to doing it.
Russ
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
Many thanks, Russ, especially for making short work of the answer!

Aristo's official spec is 6.5', so I think 6' will be close enough. It was sorta-kinda-maybe-running on the 4', only by virtue by falling back between the rails after climbing out on every turn. In a way I'm quite surprised it hasn't fallen the 9 feet to its demise in the many years since it was put up.  :|

EDIT: Oops. Have discovered there's no such thing as 6' sectional. Looks like 8' is the sole solution, and that's going to take reworking the entire elevated support system. Gee, a little tweak to make a minor exhibit reliable has morphed into a big project. [sigh]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:08:57 AM by C855B »

Kevin Yutz

• Crew
  • G Scale Pro, HO Scale too
  • Respect: +1
    • Conrail Historical Society
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »
I've tried to always build with the biggest curves I can to accomodate the bigger items.  With that said i went 20' on my outdoor curves but i have some smaller stuff in yard service areas.  I used to have alot of LGB way back when but i ditched that in favor of the American stuff from Aristo/USA which meant i now had to go away from the " oh itll make it thru the tiny curves just fine since its LGB" to the " oh crap that aint gonna work!"